YTI Career Institute

Updated July 19, 2014
Updated July 19, 2014
2.2

CEO

Quality Company with a family atmosphere

I worked at YTI Career Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a Family atmosphere. The have many fun training events. The work is rewarding. I enjoyed all of my management.

Cons

High pressure at times with low pay.

Pay more

Discrimination

Former Employee - Sales  in  Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Altoona, PA

I worked at YTI Career Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent and the work hours were pretty good.

Cons

No help when I became sick with a chronic illness that was making my day to day work extremely difficult.

Don't fire someone when they are physically sick and it cannot be controlled. Listen to your staff and offer assistance to them. I was fired at a very low point when physically disabled and am still struggling to find work, but thankfully I have made a full recovery.

Disorganized

Current Employee - Career Services
    Current Employee - Career Services

I have been working at YTI Career Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Making a difference in the lives of most; co-workers; like for actual job responsibilities

Cons

Focus on profit over product; does not adhere to values; claims at being industry modeled which are inaccurate; Poorly managed is an underestimate; voice not heard;

Do not micro manage; hold students accountable; enable employees instead of stifling them

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be 5 stars, now just one, after almost 15 years

Former Employee - Instructor  in  York, PA
    Former Employee - Instructor in York, PA

I worked at YTI Career Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Despite eveything Management does to make it suck, the bottom line is you're changing people's lives, one student at a time. That's good under any conditions! In fact, that used to be the school's mission statement!

We were bought out by a company who promised to change nothing, and instead changed everything!

What makes it OK (not great) for the students are the regulations the school must follow in order to stay in business. If it weren't for those, Marino et al would have sunk the place by now.

Cons

Management is there to make money, not help people. That's not how it was when I started there. Students complain that the school is more a business than a school, and despite MGMTs insistance to the contrary, they are right. The school has a mission statement but it is 'do as I say, not as I do'. I was at a meeting with the President of the school and a customer, and the president told the customer that 'if it was up to (him, he) wouldn't have hired me'.

Management does not accept advice. In their view, there is no one, living or dead, that knows more about how to run a school than they do.

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Administration  in  Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Administration in Altoona, PA

I have been working at YTI Career Institute

Pros

The students can really make your day!

Cons

Some feel they are working in a hostile environment.
    Some management micro-manage to the extreme that direct reports feel stiffled.

Don't micro-manage and allow instructors to be creative in their positions (with approval).
    Remember our values and work as a TEAM to achieve them.

Good people, lousy company

Former Employee - Director of Admissions  in  York, PA
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions in York, PA

I worked at YTI Career Institute

Pros

There are a lot of passionate people at YTI, who really care about the students and being the best post secondary education facility around. The campuses, for the most part, we're well kept. The benefits were't spectacular, but weren't bad either. 3 weeks vacation -- but no roll-over...

Cons

The senior management has no understanding of post-secondary education and is running the schools as a corporation instead of a school system. There is a distinct lack of understanding of the vocational student and how to attract that student to the school. The programs are designed to make a profit for the school but don't necessarily give the students the realm life skills needed to make it in the professional world. Many the of decisions made by senior management were knee-jerk reactions, without taking into account long term effects.

Let someone with post secondary experience run the school and the "profitability" will take care of itself. The school should serve a purpose beyond increasing the bottom line.

I have been working at YTI Career Institute

Pros

Flexibility with instruction delivery to students, professional co-workers, close proximity to restaurants, and shopping, and good computing facilities and instructional aids.

Cons

Performance rating system is too subjective, and based on supervisor opinion; mission and values are preached, but not consistently practiced by management, and favoritsm still exists.

Revamp the performance evaluation system to be more objective, and be truthful and forthcoming with employees about the issues that affect them. Put the right people in the right position.

Worked for YTI Career Institute? Contribute to the Community!