YTI Career Institute

YTI Career Institute Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Quality Company with a family atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has a Family atmosphere. The have many fun training events. The work is rewarding. I enjoyed all of my management.

ConsHigh pressure at times with low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Disorganized

Career Services (Current Employee)

ProsMaking a difference in the lives of most; co-workers; like for actual job responsibilities

ConsFocus on profit over product; does not adhere to values; claims at being industry modeled which are inaccurate; Poorly managed is an underestimate; voice not heard;

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not micro manage; hold students accountable; enable employees instead of stifling them

Used to be 5 stars, now just one, after almost 15 years

Instructor (Former Employee)
    York, PA

ProsDespite eveything Management does to make it suck, the bottom line is you're changing people's lives, one student at a time. That's good under any conditions! In fact, that used to be the school's mission statement!

We were bought out by a company who promised to change nothing, and instead changed everything!

What makes it OK (not great) for the students are the regulations the school must follow in order to stay in business. If it weren't for those, Marino et al would have sunk the place by now.

ConsManagement is there to make money, not help people. That's not how it was when I started there. Students complain that the school is more a business than a school, and despite MGMTs insistance to the contrary, they are right. The school has a mission statement but it is 'do as I say, not as I do'. I was at a meeting with the President of the school and a customer, and the president told the customer that 'if it was up to (him, he) wouldn't have hired me'.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not accept advice. In their view, there is no one, living or dead, that knows more about how to run a school than they do.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs Improvement

Administration (Current Employee)
    Altoona, PA

ProsThe students can really make your day!

ConsSome feel they are working in a hostile environment.
    Some management micro-manage to the extreme that direct reports feel stiffled.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micro-manage and allow instructors to be creative in their positions (with approval).
    Remember our values and work as a TEAM to achieve them.

Good people, lousy company

Director of Admissions (Former Employee)
    York, PA

ProsThere are a lot of passionate people at YTI, who really care about the students and being the best post secondary education facility around. The campuses, for the most part, we're well kept. The benefits were't spectacular, but weren't bad either. 3 weeks vacation -- but no roll-over...

ConsThe senior management has no understanding of post-secondary education and is running the schools as a corporation instead of a school system. There is a distinct lack of understanding of the vocational student and how to attract that student to the school. The programs are designed to make a profit for the school but don't necessarily give the students the realm life skills needed to make it in the professional world. Many the of decisions made by senior management were knee-jerk reactions, without taking into account long term effects.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet someone with post secondary experience run the school and the "profitability" will take care of itself. The school should serve a purpose beyond increasing the bottom line.

ProsFlexibility with instruction delivery to students, professional co-workers, close proximity to restaurants, and shopping, and good computing facilities and instructional aids.

ConsPerformance rating system is too subjective, and based on supervisor opinion; mission and values are preached, but not consistently practiced by management, and favoritsm still exists.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the performance evaluation system to be more objective, and be truthful and forthcoming with employees about the issues that affect them. Put the right people in the right position.

Worked for YTI Career Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YTI Career Institute reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by YTI Career Institute employees.