YWCA Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

Lorraine Cole

Pros
  • Decent benefits, good work/life balance, the organization does good work in the community (in 3 reviews)

• The agency offers services to victims of domestic violence, i (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low, especially early on (in 7 reviews)

• Salaries are not competitive within the non-profit circle (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and Positive but underpaid.

Former Employee - Recreation Counselor in Ridgewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Recreation Counselor in Ridgewood, NJ

I worked at YWCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, interacting with children and connecting with them. Some of the staff at the schools are very warm and inviting. Time off when school is closed. They are very flexible when it comes to scheduling and welcome college students.

Cons

They pay is okay but the hours are not fixed. My direct deposit did not go through even when provided a check. It takes 3 weeks to get your first paycheck.

Consider paying employees for fixed hours especially recreation counselor who are there from 3-7.

Lifeguards/Teacher

I worked at YWCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, also works with college students schedules. As well as gives good reviews upon leaving.

Cons

Limited hours of operations. Also if wanting more hours than giving, hard to get given the number of people on staff. Also, the staff turnover was fairly high at times, thus possibly making you work more even if you didn't necessarily want the hours.

Blind management

I worked at YWCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to help people, comfortable office and building, benefits are good compared to other jobs.

Cons

Salary is so low most of my coworkers had second jobs. On call shifts are basically unpaid. You're paid for 7.5 hours but lunch breaks are basically unpaid.

I had a wonderful experience working at the YWCA. Employees were very helpful and friendly!

I worked at YWCA

Pros

The people combined with the culture did not make work feel like work. Balancing time between work and life was no issue for me. Since I worked part-time, I did not get many days off but my boss was supportive when I let her know in advance. The events were always fun to attend, the meetings were very informative.

Cons

Since this is a non-profit organization, compensation was not very high. Technology and computer systems could have used updating. Focus and direction of the company should be stressed more.

Upper management could have been more organized.

Underpaid, Aloof Management, Poor Environment for Employees

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Princeton, NJ

I worked at YWCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

somewhat flexible on hours but can't count it
    location is nice in downtown princeton

Cons

Poor leadership that doesn't seem to know how to manage or lead. Compared to similar places, their pay is very low. Haven't given raises in years. Seem to hire at the last moment just to fill an opening and once in, there is no formal training program. Very few positions to move into. Seem to be cutting full timers and putting in all part timers. Who wants to work 4 hours day 5 days a week and incur commuting costs at just above minimum wage?

Very rarely have seen them recognize staff efforts. Start treating employees with dignity and respect.

Wonderful people at the YWCA

Current Employee - Child Advocate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Child Advocate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at YWCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ample opportunities for training. They really try to have everyone on the same page with their motto, and for all employees to be culturally competent.

Cons

Compensation was not satisfactory. Need more areas for growth within the company

Since the YWCA is a stressful work environment dealing with traumatic situations I believe there needs to be more of a balance to create a more relaxing atmosphere.

Women's Opportunity Center Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Spokane, WA

I worked at YWCA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, clear goals, great communication. My internship was only a few months but I loved it and felt like I was part of the community.

Cons

I drove in from Cheney, so commuting for only a few hours of work a day after my classes was slightly undesirable but that is not a reflection on the YWCA. I wanted to work there. Also, it is housed in the same building as the YMCA and on the first day I thought I had gotten lost.

I have been working at YWCA

Pros

Primary focus is on women's issues.

Cons

Men cannot work in the agency. The agency's culture with respect to women's issues is old fashion.

Learn to delegate

Started off good, but ended terrible because of management and Co-workers

Former Employee - Student Mentor in Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Student Mentor in Plainfield, NJ

I worked at YWCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity to teach and help kids, and input positive effects in their lives.

Cons

Terrible Co-workers and bad management

wonderful

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher Aide in Elmira, NY
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher Aide in Elmira, NY

I worked at YWCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

working with children and great teachers and staff, if a program or job became unavailable then they would find a position for me in another program in the company

Cons

Only that I had to leave due to medical and personal reasons

n/a