YWCA

YWCA Reviews

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015

Lorraine Cole

Pros
  • Decent benefits, good work/life balance, the organization does good work in the community (in 3 reviews)

• The agency offers services to victims of domestic violence, i (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries are not competitive within the non-profit circle (in 10 reviews)

• Very low pay, gossipy environment, cliquey, disgruntled co-workers, absentee management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned that dealing with the public can be very challenging...even over whelming at times...

Former Employee - Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at YWCA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to meet new clients every single day...what a diverse culture we live in...

Cons

Never knowing what your challenge might be for the oncoming day..."dealing with the public"...

Company values should always their employees...

Volunteer Accounting Department

Former Intern - Intern in Clinton, IA
    Former Intern - Intern in Clinton, IA

I worked at YWCA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

*insights in Quickbooks and finances of the YWCA

Cons

*less insight due to financial privacy restrictions
    * very paper-based; little to no technology used to facilitate workload

Unrealistic Expectations

I have been working at YWCA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, especially the 10% retirement after 2 years and rollover sick days. Some positive role models depending on who is your manager or director.

Cons

If you have the bad luck of getting the wrong manager, to work with, then you are SOL. Poor communication skills, lack of good people skills. Too concerned with numbers game and not the actual work and performance. A high turnover rate in particular departments makes you wonder why it is that way in the first place. Poor management and employee training skills, again in particular departments. Unrealistic expectations on employees, pressure and too many "meetings" and consultations, instead of just getting down to getting the work done.

Too much office drama, spying and gossip. Take your time researching and hiring the right people before trying to grab the first person that comes along that you "think" is right for the job. Listen to your employees more, and let them contribute. Dont' pressure people into a yes or no, black or white type answer for everything. Treat people with more respect and stop the office gossip and heresay especially using that as an excuse to reprimand employees based on he said-she said type comments.

Stressful work but fun loving co-workers.

I worked at YWCA

Pros

The best reasons to work here is seeing a company that is invested in helping clients over come their obstacles. They also have access to great trainings.

Cons

No raises in five years. Low salaries, that are not compatible with the area.

Most welcoming and open group I have ever worked with!

Current Intern - Community Engagement CJ in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Community Engagement CJ in Seattle, WA

I have been working at YWCA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

While the work program I am involved in is strict, the office seems to be a bit more results focused than time focused. A relaxed, low-pressure environment that allows for growth and education. Not to say that working on Adopt A Family was 'low-pressure' by any means, but the overall daily life felt a fair amount of pressure to complete projects soon-ish. I love the office I am in as well as the building staff, everyone has been warm and wonderful to me since day one now going on month three. I hope to stay with them, but there may not be a permanent position for me past my 3 month program, at least not in my office or current role.

Cons

I am commuting from Shoreline to Downtown Seattle, so it is a bit of a ride on the bus both ways, taking about an hour average and two during a rush. Parking is expensive and limited. Get some comfortable walking shoes, because the hills are killer on your feet otherwise.

Be more aggressive when tackling internal issues that may arise as they have the tendency to fester when left to stew. There is nothing nasty yet, but you never know until your hindsight is 20/20 and you are looking at a real problem instead of an unintended slight or user error.

Great place to work for

Current Employee - Director in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Flint, MI

I have been working at YWCA

Pros

Office culture is great, very flexible and understanding people to work with

Cons

A lot of transition with leadership

Consistency is key.

Great experience, not long term worthy.

I have been working at YWCA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Many great co- workers that are motivated to make a change in their community
    -Rewarding work
    -Great opportunity to learn and network
    -Casual attire (almost always)
    -Develop your own work schedule (for my position at least) that allows you to go to doctor appointments and handle other responsibilities

Cons

-Little to no room for growth
    -Exceptionally low pay
    -Management is dissinterested in engagement of their employees
    -Organization values don't line up with the actions of many individuals and management

Engage and motivate employees. Try and develop a means to retain talent that wants to remain in the non-profit world.

Great organization with a mission to support women and strengthen their confidence.

I have been working at YWCA

Pros

When you see the difference the programs make in the lives of the recipients, you know you are helping to make this world a better place.

Cons

I appreciate the opportunity to volunteer for this organization.

Don't burnout

Former Employee - Legal Advocate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Legal Advocate in Madison, WI

I worked at YWCA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Feel good company, with personal growth, experience

Cons

lack of training, lack of direction, under paid,

Teacher at the YWCA

I have been working at YWCA

Pros

Great company culture, friendly co-workers and caring management, wonderful students who go above and beyond what is expected of them.

Cons

As a teacher, there are not a lot of opportunities to grow or progress within the organization. There's the tendency to kind of stay at the position you're in.