Yahoo

3.6
1,865 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Lot of smart people to work with, too good in using latest technologies (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 34 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

947 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They have the resources, they don't know where to aim

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

All the benefits of working in a big company: shuttles, free food, pingpong, pool, gym, free coffee all day long
    parties, events, 401k.
    If you work for the mobile team you will get a good and meaningful experience.
    Smart and nice people, and also very modest and down to earth

Cons

The culture is like an old govormental office, they are not high acheivers, they are stuck in their comfort zone for 20 years already, they are not abmitious, not doing anything new , age avrages is 10+ in compare to facebook

bring new young talents that are energetic and active, high acheivers. fire all the old school people that are stcuk there from the 90's
    stop palying bunker, and try to get back to the game by rebranding and renovating all their products, apply some new designs

senior manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good and rewarding career what you want to do and nothing

Cons

small company but can do a lot for others career what you want to do and nothing

god knows career what you want to do and nothing

Excellent place to work and learn

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture, people are very nice, one can learn lot on the job

Cons

changing priorities depending on which team you are in

need to do more to increase faith in middle management

Great company doing cutting edge tech stuff. Beware of cut-throat politics and bs.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is the company where I spent the 10 best years of my career so far. Lately (in the last 4 years or so), I could really see how Yahoo's aggressive bets on innovation really put them in the path to success, e.g.: Hadoop, OpenStack, HTML5, Isomorphic / Single Page Apps.

Now I'm cheering for them from the sidelines, and I hope to see them succeed. I'm also grateful for a lot the people that I got to interact with during my stay there, all the cool and new technologies that I got to work on/with, and all the things that I learned.

Cons

Once you end up in a team where either a) the manager doesn't like you, or there is just no chemistry between you and the manager, or b) the manager already has a chosen set of favorite people that they know really well and have strong trust relationships with (and getting a new manager like that could happen any day given the huge amount of re-orgs taking place over there all the time)... it will be only a matter of time before you will start getting bad "QPR" ratings, with all the stress and reduced options (even moving to other positions becomes harder once you get a bad "grade") that that brings. All this is too much stress and too little to gain, if you ask me, which is unfortunate given all the good things that the company has going for it.

Get rid of do-nothing social climber Managers, Directors and VPs. Take input from lower ranks seriously. Don't do things like publicly making fun of people complaining about the QPR process with ad hominem attacks suggesting that anyone doing poorly in the QPR aren't good enough for the company anyway, like Marissa did during several of the "Anonymous Moderator Q&A sessions".

From bad to worse - and it is still not over!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, benefits. The company is still dealing in one of the best technologies. Good brand recognition still. Lot of platforms and opportunities within.

Cons

The list is long! Here are a few,

- Subjective performance evaluation - heavily dependent on the manager. If you have a good relationship with your manager, you are in for a ride in Yahoo. If you don't have a high position mentor and protector, your goodness will fade away. And of course, that too is subjective because you never know when that person is out of favor with his/her higher level
    - Too many platforms. No clear strategy as to what the company wants to do. Platforms are bought, built and then scrapped because someone has convinced the management to build/buy another one. In my tenure, I saw as many as 7-8 platforms for the ad business. If you are not part of the next "in thing" in the company, you are screwed!
    - Leaders more interested in building empires than leading the team/department/company to become better. Too many layers of managers. At one point, I counted 7 layers from CEO. Too much bureaucracy that it demotivates employees
    - The new crop of managers/leaders is no better. As new leaders/managers join, they bring their own favorites with them. Yahoo is going overboard to pay them higher than the industry and giving them enough power for the first 6 months. That is enough to lose some of the earlier talent from the company. The newcomers are challenging the norm, which is good, but are doing ruthlessly

great benefits but not great working experience

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as free food and free smartphone/plan. Would recommend to friends solely on benefits only.

Cons

* Stack ranking hurts moral
    * Engineering at L2/L3 level lack innovation and focus on ROI in $$$
    * Tech leaders lack innovation
    * Weak product management team that does not work well with sales team to create/update products that make more money.
    * Engineering management dictates product development, wasting resource on re-writes and tech updates that yield no ROI - worse, they require drop focus on making current product better (fix bugs and add new features). So, every couple of years, we have new products that has no new ROI features but with new bugs, while existing software continue to be barely usable. The cycle starts again and again.

Stop wasting resource on solely on tech updates and re-writes.

I'll always be a Yahoo

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I owe much of my experience and success to Yahoo after working there for over a decade. Talented people, awesome brand, fun culture, endless new challenges...it's a great place to work.

Cons

Constant change in focus and leadership. Frequent fear of layoffs.

Excellent work life balance with hard work complimented by good company events and great on-site perks.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yahoo! is supportive of employee development and growth as they conduct training and learning sessions for those interested in other aspects of the company. This is especially important for a tech company where their ability to stay current with changing technology depends on the growth of ideas and creativity. The company events, team outings, on-site perks such as gym with a sauna at corporate and plenty of java with a full service barista the warm inviting environment of Yahoo! is difficult to beat.

Cons

Due rapid globalization not all of Yahoo!'s processes and code are written with scalability in mind. This presents challenges when trying to optimize workflow or enhance the global schematics, but also turns out to be an opportunity for improvement.

Management could benefit by removing the perception of many layers in the company by doing 1:1 meetings with managers +1 so employees feel more engaged with the big picture.

This is the place to be !!!!

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome !!! right from the time you get the offer (with the yodle playing as soon as you open the offer) , to the time you are onboarded and to the time you start contributing - time flies . This is the place to be if you want to be part of the fun loving culture. Awesome benefits - specifically FREE gourmet food .. and Verve coffee :)

Cons

Overall the churn in the past has left a bad taste - its like once someone slaps you its hard to believe that you wont be slapped again, though Marissa has done a great job changing perceptions ...

Keep up the good work, keep putting more effort into attracting the best talent and generating revenue !!! We are with you.

Great company

Former Employee - Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture and the upper management was great!

Cons

The leadership is fantastic and the we were always encouraged to take the training classes

Stay great!