Yahoo

3.4 1,605 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

1,605 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance"
    in 138 reviews
  • "Good place to work to learn cutting edge technologies and to work with brilliant and smart people"
    in 122 reviews
Cons:
  • "Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes"
    in 77 reviews
  • "Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, nice atmosphere, good balance of working hard and having a life.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

ProsProud of the brand, great group of people, planned out time lines so projects got the attention they needed. nice campus and working environment. Good selection of food in cafeteria.

ConsRan into problems with projects with low budgets and lack of internal resources to complete big approved projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood production in marketing takes money, i'm not saying huge budgets but enough to make it look great or good. I didn't get the feeling it was that high of a priority at Yahoo. I was there pre Marissa, But I'm sure its better now with Marissa. Would've been happy to work for her.

Can Yahoo be great again? Maybe ... but it will take a long time to find out

Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

ProsStill have passionate and talented people. Reinvigoration under MM is inspiring. Cool projects in the works. Finding the path back to being a true engineering company (from becoming a media company). Four stars for new direction and new management. Three stars for where they are today.

ConsThe memory of Yahoo as a great company is distant -- and the path to getting back to greatness is long. Lots of good initiative but turnover and the inability to attract the very very best is a hangup that will make getting there longer than it should (if they can). Some amazing projects and developments (like Pipes) don't seem to get the attention love and traction they deserve. Don't let Yahoo be a place where cool projects die!

Good environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo as an intern

ProsGood environment, Colleagues are very nice

Consrisky, some projects been cut

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Click here to work in an open and friendly environment

Metrics & Reporting Analyst IV (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are nice to help those starting out at Yahoo! They have all the work resources you need to perform on the job.

ConsMy job was project based only so no permanent positions were open.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider converting temporary staff who can contribute to the company's growth and bottom line.

Part confusion ,part Chaos...part of the company works like a startup, part of it struggles with old platforms n product

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat challenges, focussed direction under Marissa

ConsToo much legacy debt-- technical and people, its a real pain to navigate at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the orgs with clear demarcation of responsibilities to avoid

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Prosgood culture to be in yahoo

Consstressful work due to QPR

Advice to Senior Management.

Not for everyone!

I worked at Yahoo

ProsGreat engineers but poor management.

ConsNo flexibility and strict management.

Not #1 in industry

I have been working at Yahoo

ProsBenefits might be ok with the health, vacation, stock options. Opportunities are in California.

ConsManagement needs to learn how to manage a team

Advice to Senior Managementget training - appreciate and reward your employees that actually do a good job

The payments department will make you work like a slave.

I have been working at Yahoo part-time

ProsThere are some smart people there and its great to work with smart people.

ConsLeadership has no idea of work life balance. Make you slog like a slave and then have the gall to say that 'this is not enough dedication'. People work 12 hours easy and apparantly thats not enough. Plus promotions are rare.

Aging Company Trying to Catch Up In Everyway But Not Doing It Well

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* Tight knit group of experienced people who actually knows what they're doing if given the chance rather than chasing after strategy of the moment.
* Can you say Alibaba?

Cons* The next level of senior management below Marissa is comprised of yes people who are more interested in covering themselves than having the backbone to offer an opposing view which can lead to so much more creativity and innovation.
* Bizarre HR practices and company policies in the name of "creating a company with cream of the crop" staff which are rather time-wasters like the quarterly review, the chokehold on the hiring process, inflexible working schedule and the unspoken insistence and veiled threats on making everyone move up to Sunnyvale or you can kiss any kind of advancement good bye. All morale killers. The latter is really hypocritical as the day-to-day folks are demanded they know how to work in a global environment whereas the Sunnyvale based folks are unable to work effectively with offices located elsewhere.

Advice to Senior Management* Might as well get rid of the senior management level if they don't have a say in product output and hiring.
* Have really game changing innovations to compete with the true tech titans of today. When you stack up Y! News Digest, the two online magazines to Google (glass, fiber one, cloud), FB (investment in virtual, cloud), Amazon (web services, cloud), so on and so on, there's no comparison.
Most of the staff is demoralized to the point where it's just a 9 to 5 job for them rather than being excited about working at a company that makes a difference and that cares about its workforce. Everyone is afraid to mention the word "live/work balance" lest they be dinged during the quarterly review process.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer. All 1,605 reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees.