Yahoo

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.4 1,685 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance(in 146 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with(in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes(in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google(in 27 reviews)

1,685 Employee Reviews

Great company to work for

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCompany culture, flexible work hours and mostly nice people to work with. Marrissa greatly boosted company morale and public image.

ConsA lot of political within middle management

Overall very positive experience

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros-Great place to build your career.
    -Lots of very smart people
    -Opportunities to take ownership and responsibility
    -Transparency and visibility
    -Compensation is great (the average engineer at every level has a higher base salary at Yahoo than Google, for example)

Cons-Work life balance could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementMarissa is doing a great job. The transparency and trust in employees is incredible, and there are a lot of opportunities to excel.

Good place to work

ProsPrivate communication has always been an important part of the picture, and I think it’s increasingly important,” he said. “Anything we can do that makes people feel more comfortable is really good.

Cons“They have gotten enough privacy black eyes at this point that I tend to believe that they realized they have to take care of consumers a lot better,” said Pam Dixon, executive director of the World Privacy Forum, a nonprofit research and advocacy group.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe service will then walk users through the privacy settings for their status updates, remind them of the applications that have permission to use their Facebook

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of extra benefits (phone, t-shits, gym, Up band, free food, etc).

ConsCan be difficult to move up; seems like constant reviews (quarterly). Mid-quarter reviews, end of quarter reviews, yearly reviews. You have peer reviews, etc. Feels like you have to have your peers like you in order to move up. Can be deflating if you are doing a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-do your review process!

Met and worked with some great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWorked on a great team that was very proud of our product. Compensation was fair and so was the work / life balance although there were a lot of late night calls.

ConsToo much turn over in exec team. It was almost impossible to deliver on a corporate objective before the priorities had changed. Lot's of technical debt - at least at the time - made it challenging to innovate.

Great place to work

ProsYahoo is always having something up its sleeve so there is a lot of room for employees to learn and innovation is always encouraged. The work culture is open and encourages growth

ConsSometimes the communication from top-management is not on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe trend setters in more areas instead of trying to play catch up with other internet advertising giants

Worst Employer Ever

Designer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFree food but beware of chaotic cafeteria

ConsHorrible culture! I'm surprised that Yahoo has even survived especially now with Marissa Mayer. Very unwelcoming environment. Practically feels like a place where everyone is a robot and brainwashed. This is the very first company throughout my career where I've experienced such a lack of professionalism and respect. I didn't have any expectations for what was going to happen during my time here, but it is unacceptable and I am disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to teach your staff some manners and just stop the wanna-be Google lifestyle on this campus. It's not working for Yahoo!

Looking back 3 years after I left, it was really great company with many smart, talented and fun people!

Director (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAt the time work life balance was good, comp and benefits were also great

ConsWas always hoping for a good visionary CEO. Now it finally has the right CEO and that the Street likes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYahoo's best products: News, Finance, Sports. Keep the orig. yodel that everyone in the Valley remembers. Weather app is probably the only new thing that's really, really cool.

Very Nice

Ad Classification Analyst (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosoffice culture, company value, perks

ConsCompany was doing well, a good place to work for

good

Proslot to learn and contribute technically.

Conspersonal growth may not necessarily that easy.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!