Yahoo

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.4 1,683 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance(in 146 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with(in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes(in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google(in 27 reviews)

1,683 Employee Reviews

Dramatic change

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsSmart people, free food and coffee, some prestige

ConsConstant change, especially with managers moving to other departments

Great Culture

Advertising Technology Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture and people with good work/life balance

Consmanagement want to help with career progression if there are positions to move to

On the Rebound

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat environment, awesome people, great CEO, comeback story, independent projects, fun experience. Would definitely recommend this to anybody who has the skills, passion, and opportunity to take this.

Conslong commute, big company. That's about it though, everything else was a great experience so I don't think there is anything else that i would say is "bad"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great perks!

Prosfree lunch, good work/life balance, lots of new and upcoming projects

Consnone i can think of!

Great people, nice atmosphere, good balance of working hard and having a life.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsProud of the brand, great group of people, planned out time lines so projects got the attention they needed. nice campus and working environment. Good selection of food in cafeteria.

ConsRan into problems with projects with low budgets and lack of internal resources to complete big approved projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood production in marketing takes money, i'm not saying huge budgets but enough to make it look great or good. I didn't get the feeling it was that high of a priority at Yahoo. I was there pre Marissa, But I'm sure its better now with Marissa. Would've been happy to work for her.

Can Yahoo be great again? Maybe ... but it will take a long time to find out

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsStill have passionate and talented people. Reinvigoration under MM is inspiring. Cool projects in the works. Finding the path back to being a true engineering company (from becoming a media company). Four stars for new direction and new management. Three stars for where they are today.

ConsThe memory of Yahoo as a great company is distant -- and the path to getting back to greatness is long. Lots of good initiative but turnover and the inability to attract the very very best is a hangup that will make getting there longer than it should (if they can). Some amazing projects and developments (like Pipes) don't seem to get the attention love and traction they deserve. Don't let Yahoo be a place where cool projects die!

Good environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood environment, Colleagues are very nice

Consrisky, some projects been cut

Great if you're an Engineer or Developer - Otherwise, beware.

ProsGood benefits, perks, most people are nice.

ConsExecutive team is not aligned. Open and constant bickering leads to a volatile environment. Limited to no communication. Inconsistent direction given be each executive. Limited accountability with mush blame being pushed to lower management. Extremely political with tons of micro-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They don't listen.

Part confusion ,part Chaos...part of the company works like a startup, part of it struggles with old platforms n product

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat challenges, focussed direction under Marissa

ConsToo much legacy debt-- technical and people, its a real pain to navigate at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the orgs with clear demarcation of responsibilities to avoid

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosgood culture to be in yahoo

Consstressful work due to QPR

Advice to Senior Management.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!