Yahoo

Yahoo Reviews in London, England

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights
26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work environment, interesting product problems, great co-workers

Product Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work. Great benefits. Co-workers are genuinely nice people. Much less political wrangling than I've experienced at some other places where I've worked. Lots of great new products and content. It is an exciting place to work and they value their employees.

ConsIt is an American company, so if you work in EMEA, it is sometimes challenging to keep track of the latest developments that are happening in the US. This issue is not really specific to Yahoo, but is a basic challenge when working in the UK for an international company that is head-quartered in the USA.

Software Development Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe people there are amazing

ConsThe pay is terrible and there is little chance of a pay rise

Designer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat for Work/Life Balance, flexible working hours and great people to work with

ConsUncertainty of Business outlook, Senior Management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Manager

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat environment to work in the UK

Consslow changes comparing to other companies in the sector

Advice to Senior Managementcatch up witht he market

Good experience in Yahoo, could have been better though

Account Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt is good place to work: Nice work environment, good work benefits, friendly staff atmosphere. Management is fairly effective

ConsSlow at innovation, salaries lower than similar companies
    Some technical tools were outdated, hard to do an efficient work with

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the technical problems quicker!

Great potential, great talent, sometimes good strategy, really poor execution

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosvibe, flexibility, good mobility, scaling opportunity

Consbureaucracy, politics, low attention to performance (changing radically with Marissa Mayer)

Enoyable.

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNice people, fun company to work for, you can make what you want of your career their if you put the effort in up o a point.

ConsToo much proprietary stuff sometimes limiting the ability to improve portable skills sets

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on the excessive red tape, make internal web sites consistent

Good personal experience, less so for others.....

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPersonally, I've had a very good experience working for Yahoo. I have been offered a number of promotions and gained a lot of valuable experience. However, although I believe that this is the product of my own hard work, it does occasionally seem that others have had less valuable experiences.

ConsSeems that if it can be over complicated, it will be. Recently there has been a complete lack of direction, confounded by the utter inability of the Senior Management team to instill any belief in the company, or in their skills as leaders. There is far too much bullsh*t rhetoric that at times seems to fly directly in the face of what we are being told. However, if you can cope with this, then its fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a clear strategy, and stick to it! Way to much disparity in communicating what it is the company stands for. And it would be nice to see the stocks go up, for a change.

Yahoo London -- the smaller version of the hq

Director Engineering (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking with very smart people who are affecting the lives of millions of people -- one of the few places where you really can get in touch with the world as a whole.

ConsOften too many projects to be able to truly be able to focus on one thing -- many time there is too much legacy making it hard to innovate and launch new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the company structure right -- figure out the role between regions and head office, and create the reporting structures accordingly.

Don't believe all you read - try it for yourself!

Senior Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proslearn about the best and most interesting industry of the world with a company that is really applying sound management to the industry of online advertising. Yahoo europe is a real operating company rather than a sales subsidiairy.

Conslong working hours, frustration at tolerance for people not to do what they should.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't read the papers and the blogs - keep truckin'. It's amazing how much advice who have not done a zillionth of what Jerry and his team have done in building a $6b company churning $2b of annual cash flow have for them. Meanwhile, Yahoo remains the second largest online advertising business with a true world wide scope of operations. in an industry that is growing and will consolidate.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!