Yahoo Reviews in London, England

3.6
1,749 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Yahoo! is 'fun' right?

Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

High profile global projects. Great experiences, working alongside some extremely talented people. Nice office, perfect location in the heart of London. Free fizzy drinks.

Cons

Severe lack of direction - zero organisation/hierarchy. Constant restructures and lay-offs. Continuous bombardment of pessimistic media reports. Poor management skills and training throughout the business. Little or no personal development opportunities (unless you are lucky). A severe lack of resources in Europe, despite watching the US marketing team shovel money into pointless plastic toys and vanity websites which do nothing to change the user perception of the brand. General frustration.

End the blame culture, be brave.

Matrix Structure Kills Ambitions

Former Employee - Marketing Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo! is a diverse business and if you make the effort you can learn a lot.

It has some really smart people. Generally, people are very respectful of one another.

Cons

Matrix organisation which gets worse in Europe.
    Very political and the wrong people are promoted.
    Management does not make hard decisions about people. They keep people who are mediocre for too long. That is why they are in such a mess now.

Work much quicker. Stop being wishy-washy. Create a strategy and then let the smart people below to develop and implement a tactical plan

Extremely worthwhile but flawed experience

Former Employee - PR Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PR Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

- Great brand
     - Smart people
     - Products that make a real difference
     - Opportunity for international travel
     - Interesting projects

Cons

- Budgets that go through a continual salami slicer
     - Work life balance
     - Too many meetings
     - Huge difference in experience working in offices and benefits on offer - US was way better than US
     - Constant reorganisations
     - Being forced to use a HP laptop running Windows
     - Excessive politics

- Be merciless in killing properties and underperforming execs
     - Stamp on political infighting
     - Consolidate low value brands like Kelkoo
     - Work out what you want to be and invest in it
     - Focus more on user experience and the ad inventory will follow
     - Pick a budget and stick to it
     - Plan beyond 90 days

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe all you read - try it for yourself!

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

learn about the best and most interesting industry of the world with a company that is really applying sound management to the industry of online advertising. Yahoo europe is a real operating company rather than a sales subsidiairy.

Cons

long working hours, frustration at tolerance for people not to do what they should.

don't read the papers and the blogs - keep truckin'. It's amazing how much advice who have not done a zillionth of what Jerry and his team have done in building a $6b company churning $2b of annual cash flow have for them. Meanwhile, Yahoo remains the second largest online advertising business with a true world wide scope of operations. in an industry that is growing and will consolidate.

Nothing special

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

“The best reason to work at Yahoo! is very simple: the people who work there. I haven't worked before at a place with so many bright, genuine, and good people. Many of them I now consider friends, some very close friends, and feel genuine loss when I see them leave. The daily interactions with my co-workers are the primary reason I have stayed with Yahoo! so long. In addition, the company offers a broad spectrum of products and projects, and allows a decent flexibility to switch between teams or projects. That is if one is inclined to do so. It has definitely helped me broaden my scope of experience, while still feeling excited and engaged about new opportunities.”

Cons

“The organization still feels very convoluted and there is little visibility into the decision making process, at least in many teams, certainly not all. In general, my experience has been that most decisions are made in and by the "Product" team, which also likes to call themselves "Product Owners." It has always struck me as odd to operate in such a way, since the company is thriving to be an innovator. It begs the question if it shouldn't be the talented people who work there to make the right product decisions. The "Product Team" should be the sum of the people working on a project, with shared ownership and responsibilities. It is one of those details I have always found the most limiting and frustrating in delivering a great experience for the many Yahoo! users out there.”

“My advice to senior management would be to focus more on their job, while I will focus on mine and deliver as best as I can. Ideally, senior management should be focused on appropriately staffing and budgeting business opportunities and ensuring the right people are doing their job. All too often I found senior management engaged on a level of detail that was overbearing. In the end it slows everything down and leads to products that were designed, not by the most qualified people, but rather by those who mostly interested in their personal career benefits and catering to some people in senior management. Again, this is certainly not the rule, but something one will be able to observe when staying at Yahoo! for some time.”

Yahoo! needs to be bought to survive long term.

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Cool and exciting brand, globally recognised

Cons

Disorganised, doesnt make timely business decisions. Management team are going no where fast

Do the deal with Microsoft

Review of an evil

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Good company benefits, plenty of holidays, laid back work atmosphere and dress code, great location in central London, flexible work hours.

Cons

Incompetent management at all levels, lack of planning, very poor work ethics at all levels, very poor communication, having to work for a company that betrays free speech by helping the chinese government to emprison pro-democratic journalists, a company making huge profits through its active support of the shark finning industry (Yahoo! owns 40% of alibaba.com), a cruel and barbaric activity banned in many countries but not illegal in China, which has lead of the slaughter of over 90% of all sharks in the last 30 years, putting many shark species on the list of endangered species.

take a course in ethics. define your values and stick to them!

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!