www.yahoo.com

3.6
1,913 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Lot of smart people to work with, too good in using latest technologies (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 34 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

fast-moving, smart people, good perks

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

failure is an option, free lunch/cell phones/new computers, lax hours, friendly atmosphere

Cons

old company with rusty pipes. takes a huge effort to turn a ship this big around.

return more $$$ to employees since the stock has soared

Employee rating system

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

People are pretty good but not too many leaders. You need to fit the follower mold to do well here

Cons

Grade employees on a bell curve. Just wait your turn to get promoted. Expect mediocre reviews even when youre crushing it simply bc someone else on the team needs a better review to get a promo.

Do not treat adults like children and give them stars

Not great, not horrible

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good non-works perks: free lunch, pay for lots of stuff, relaxed dress code, etc

Cons

unorganized (but that's common in digital since it's always changing). Lots of departments that seem to be pointless

get organized/simplified

Yahoo Okay...

Former Employee - Senior Media Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Media Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance and very good benefits. Was still able to work from home as long as you maintained a desk at a Yahoo office.

Cons

Management has ultimate control over your success at Yahoo. The quarterly review is a pain in the butt! By the time you were done with the quarterly review you were working on the next one so a lot of work got pushed to the side to concentrate on these.

The company is so big that it is so hard for anything to get approved. By the time things are approved, the company is behind the current trends again and playing catching. Acquiring all these startups don't help if they can't use their technology they bought efficiently.

Boring

Former Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, free coffee, etc

Cons

Like a prison that sucks my soul

Yahoo: where every decision is based on office politics

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with a fantastic team, which I spent most of my time trying to protect from outlandish demands from random VPs, SVPs, EVPs and the ever-changing cast of CEOs, from the founders to the Hollywood hangers-on and back. I did get the resources I asked for, in both head count and budget, to turn around a support group that had been floundering, and we succeeded with flying colors.

Cons

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Yahoo way" was a common saying during my years with the company—and "the Yahoo way" was always the most convoluted approach with the least chance of success. I had 7 different managers in 8 years while my department boomeranged from division to division: reorgs are constant, secretive, and often poorly planned. It's difficult to identify key stakeholders when launching a project, and more than once we had significant initiatives torpedoed without warning by executives who had interest in or connection to them, but used their influence to make a point or demonstrate their power with no regard to the negative impact on the business. Obtuse bullies.

Simplify the structure, minimize the reorgs, reduce the number of VPs by at least half. Maybe then you can figure out what Yahoo wants to become—even though it already blew the best shot it had at positive transformation by snubbing Microsoft (mostly because of the engineers, who can do no wrong, whined about how much they hate Windows.)

Growth company in an exciting and growing industry

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Data Insights in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Data Insights in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, relaxing working environment, collaboration among different teams, competitive compensation package, free food and many employee perks, innovative and creative.

Cons

Loss of focus in some areas, slow execution, evaluation and reward process not so effective, engineering instead of product driven.

Flatten the hierarchy structure, so communication become easier and more effective. Focus more on execution. Give more support to product managers. Have better alignment among different organization units.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The food in the kitchen is free

Cons

The process is all over the place

Instill job environment where cornerstone's based on distrust, pile-on, competition amongst peers & broken model of QPR

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The comprehensive Medical and Misc. Benefits Package. Also have the chance to work with some very smart, funny, and downright cool co-workers.

Cons

Absolute Burn-Out: Requirements and mandates keep piling on pre-established role. Constant ReOrgs and sudden meshing of completely separate departments/platforms into one single entity. More work, less resources, longer hours, no pay increase.

99% Employees = frustrated/demoralized...

...while 1% (yes, that 1%) of C-Level Execs, SVP's, VP's and Board Directors are Laughing and Singing all the way to the Bank "Mo' Money, Mo' Money! $$$!"

Do away with the Gestapo techniques, it's crumby for morale company-wide; meaning, nix the tracking of every single task/update/meeting/phone call/sale/up-sell/etc. You've created a time-suck unlike anything I've ever experienced before as each worker-bee is now, for all intents and purposes, engaging in an everlasting exercise in redundancy by updating an internal system for something already completed so that some team can check their box off and say, "Yep, it's redundant. And time consuming. But they can be tracked now!"

Also, the incessant, passive-aggressive messaging from emails sent by, example, our newest (*Insert 3-letter Acronym) of Global Ops to all of Yahoo on the Friday prior to Christmas at 10pm EST: "Our employees are our most treasured asset. Your sacrifices do not go unnoticed. But our employees can Always do better, and we will all need to do so throughout 2014, oftentimes with more work and less resources." Focus more on employee satisfaction and their work / life balance to maintain an established set of intelligent, experienced, and happy workers vs. the burn and churn. People leave, no added head-count is addressed or implemented, you push the unaligned work on to another employee who is likely already struggling to keep pace and gasping for air; this behavior is all too commonplace these days and is a real shame. There is no longer a Yahoo culture of yesteryear - there is only pressure to do more with less time / less resources for the same pay. No one enjoys it and it is voiced in many circles. But we cannot openly discuss at this stage unless you'd like your very job on the line.

Exciting time to be at Yahoo

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

I joined before Marissa took charge so I had the privilege of seeing the change from old Yahoo to new Yahoo.

Perks of old Yahoo: Free medical and dental coverage, casual attire, smart people (but jaded due to poor leadership), buzzing office environment, very competitive pay.

Additional perks after new Yahoo w/Marissa: Free food, free smart phones, strong leadership, smart people (now enthused about the great trajectory and changes that have been thoughtfully and efficiently executed), the leadership sets challenging goals, they are not just sales people they work very hard to fix issues that were previously ignored. It of course takes time, but changes are absolutely happening. It's a great time to be at Yahoo.

Cons

We do not market. There is a mentality about not bragging and I hate that people love to hate on yahoo because sometimes people love to see an old successful corporate giant fail and this is what happened.

There is practically no PR team. Before I joined Yahoo, I felt the same way as everyone else...it was an old giant trying to stay alive and losing to Google and FB. After joining and after Marissa's complete overhaul of management, I learned we are top rank in a number of categories: Yahoo Sports is #1, Yahoo Finance is #1, Yahoo Mail is #2, Yahoo is #1 in traffic, Yahoo Weather App won "Apple's Design Award" beating out all other apps...these are just a few of the 2013 rankings.

5 years ago, I'd want to work at Google, but you want to be somewhere that's gaining momentum and that's Yahoo. We are an underdog, but we stay hungry and we have a strong leadership now. There is so much to be excited for.

We have a lot to be proud of. Market more and educate people. Case and point - that negative work from home news that went viral - did you know that only affected a handful of employees who were taking advantage of this by not logging in when they did "WFH". Externally it became big news, internally it was a simple and necessary call out to a small group of slackers. Work life balance is key here and WFH is never an issue for reliable and trustworthy teammates, as is the case with any company.