Yahoo Reviews in New York, NY

3.6
1,803 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 153 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 137 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 32 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

fast-moving, smart people, good perks

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

failure is an option, free lunch/cell phones/new computers, lax hours, friendly atmosphere

Cons

old company with rusty pipes. takes a huge effort to turn a ship this big around.

return more $$$ to employees since the stock has soared

Yahoo: where every decision is based on office politics

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with a fantastic team, which I spent most of my time trying to protect from outlandish demands from random VPs, SVPs, EVPs and the ever-changing cast of CEOs, from the founders to the Hollywood hangers-on and back. I did get the resources I asked for, in both head count and budget, to turn around a support group that had been floundering, and we succeeded with flying colors.

Cons

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Yahoo way" was a common saying during my years with the company—and "the Yahoo way" was always the most convoluted approach with the least chance of success. I had 7 different managers in 8 years while my department boomeranged from division to division: reorgs are constant, secretive, and often poorly planned. It's difficult to identify key stakeholders when launching a project, and more than once we had significant initiatives torpedoed without warning by executives who had interest in or connection to them, but used their influence to make a point or demonstrate their power with no regard to the negative impact on the business. Obtuse bullies.

Simplify the structure, minimize the reorgs, reduce the number of VPs by at least half. Maybe then you can figure out what Yahoo wants to become—even though it already blew the best shot it had at positive transformation by snubbing Microsoft (mostly because of the engineers, who can do no wrong, whined about how much they hate Windows.)

Growth company in an exciting and growing industry

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Data Insights in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Data Insights in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, relaxing working environment, collaboration among different teams, competitive compensation package, free food and many employee perks, innovative and creative.

Cons

Loss of focus in some areas, slow execution, evaluation and reward process not so effective, engineering instead of product driven.

Flatten the hierarchy structure, so communication become easier and more effective. Focus more on execution. Give more support to product managers. Have better alignment among different organization units.

Yahoo

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The food in the kitchen is free

Cons

The process is all over the place

Instill job environment where cornerstone's based on distrust, pile-on, competition amongst peers & broken model of QPR

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The comprehensive Medical and Misc. Benefits Package. Also have the chance to work with some very smart, funny, and downright cool co-workers.

Cons

Absolute Burn-Out: Requirements and mandates keep piling on pre-established role. Constant ReOrgs and sudden meshing of completely separate departments/platforms into one single entity. More work, less resources, longer hours, no pay increase.

99% Employees = frustrated/demoralized...

...while 1% (yes, that 1%) of C-Level Execs, SVP's, VP's and Board Directors are Laughing and Singing all the way to the Bank "Mo' Money, Mo' Money! $$$!"

Do away with the Gestapo techniques, it's crumby for morale company-wide; meaning, nix the tracking of every single task/update/meeting/phone call/sale/up-sell/etc. You've created a time-suck unlike anything I've ever experienced before as each worker-bee is now, for all intents and purposes, engaging in an everlasting exercise in redundancy by updating an internal system for something already completed so that some team can check their box off and say, "Yep, it's redundant. And time consuming. But they can be tracked now!"

Also, the incessant, passive-aggressive messaging from emails sent by, example, our newest (*Insert 3-letter Acronym) of Global Ops to all of Yahoo on the Friday prior to Christmas at 10pm EST: "Our employees are our most treasured asset. Your sacrifices do not go unnoticed. But our employees can Always do better, and we will all need to do so throughout 2014, oftentimes with more work and less resources." Focus more on employee satisfaction and their work / life balance to maintain an established set of intelligent, experienced, and happy workers vs. the burn and churn. People leave, no added head-count is addressed or implemented, you push the unaligned work on to another employee who is likely already struggling to keep pace and gasping for air; this behavior is all too commonplace these days and is a real shame. There is no longer a Yahoo culture of yesteryear - there is only pressure to do more with less time / less resources for the same pay. No one enjoys it and it is voiced in many circles. But we cannot openly discuss at this stage unless you'd like your very job on the line.

Pretty good work environment

Former Employee - CareCenter Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CareCenter Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was a lot of focus on team building which definitely helped day to day activities considering support teams were spread out internationally. I loved working here and the Yahoo! culture. If you live in California and have the opportunity to work for Yahoo! I would recommend it even though my tenure with them was not on the best of terms.

Cons

I didn't want to relocate so my opportunities to changes positions/roles was limited. I ended up being laid-off, as well as, the majority of the rest of my team in New York. The company itself seems to be doing poorly so that may affect other peoples decisions to work for this company.

Exciting time to be at Yahoo

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

I joined before Marissa took charge so I had the privilege of seeing the change from old Yahoo to new Yahoo.

Perks of old Yahoo: Free medical and dental coverage, casual attire, smart people (but jaded due to poor leadership), buzzing office environment, very competitive pay.

Additional perks after new Yahoo w/Marissa: Free food, free smart phones, strong leadership, smart people (now enthused about the great trajectory and changes that have been thoughtfully and efficiently executed), the leadership sets challenging goals, they are not just sales people they work very hard to fix issues that were previously ignored. It of course takes time, but changes are absolutely happening. It's a great time to be at Yahoo.

Cons

We do not market. There is a mentality about not bragging and I hate that people love to hate on yahoo because sometimes people love to see an old successful corporate giant fail and this is what happened.

There is practically no PR team. Before I joined Yahoo, I felt the same way as everyone else...it was an old giant trying to stay alive and losing to Google and FB. After joining and after Marissa's complete overhaul of management, I learned we are top rank in a number of categories: Yahoo Sports is #1, Yahoo Finance is #1, Yahoo Mail is #2, Yahoo is #1 in traffic, Yahoo Weather App won "Apple's Design Award" beating out all other apps...these are just a few of the 2013 rankings.

5 years ago, I'd want to work at Google, but you want to be somewhere that's gaining momentum and that's Yahoo. We are an underdog, but we stay hungry and we have a strong leadership now. There is so much to be excited for.

We have a lot to be proud of. Market more and educate people. Case and point - that negative work from home news that went viral - did you know that only affected a handful of employees who were taking advantage of this by not logging in when they did "WFH". Externally it became big news, internally it was a simple and necessary call out to a small group of slackers. Work life balance is key here and WFH is never an issue for reliable and trustworthy teammates, as is the case with any company.

Now that I've been elsewhere, it wasn't so bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

depending on your direct managers, your work life balance can be great or not so great

Cons

hiring practices negatively impacted the ability to hire to build my team

trust your managers, and those you don't, get rid of them, not their teams

Not What It Used To Be!

Former Employee - Senior Customer Support Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Support Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open work environment, good benefits, great people to work with, access to perks if you're in Sunnyvale

Cons

If you're in one of the satellite offices (non-Sunnyvale), you're basically just an appendage, not really remembered until something is truly damaged. Career pathing works for some teams, but not all. Management is not always aware of a problem until the problem is going nuclear, despite repeated attempts by employees to address issues with systems, other employees. Other managers micromanage, which hinders progress, other don't manage at all, and are content to spend their days in their cubicles talking with favored coworkers.

Step up to the plate and BE MANAGERS!

Overall good company, good benefits, room for improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being part of such a large scale, global company -- with such well-known media properties -- is rewarding and great experience to have.

Cons

Still a lot of bureaucracy to deal with, and some cross-departmental challenges.