Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,775 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 153 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 78 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Good culture, bad middle management

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is really good, the culture is fun and creative, great vacation days, lots of perks beyond the norm.

Cons

The biggest problem the company has is there is WAY too many middle layers in the orgs. There were as many as 8 people above me at any given time and much of it was dead weight that got in the way of the company's strategy. While I was there there were many rounds of layoffs and the people who lasted longest weren't the people who cared about doing the job well but were able to play politics the best, this is especially true in middle management.

Very nice

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Good environment, friendly, feeling productive

Cons

I don't know what to say. A little problem with parking :)

Great job at a struggling company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

At Yahoo I work(ed) with smart and likable colleagues. Yahoo offers very good pay and benefits. Yahoo is a company most people have heard of.

Cons

Like most big companies, Yahoo has problems with bureaucracy. Sometimes it's hard to feel like you're having an impact when you are one of 13,000.

You can't paint 13,000 people with a broad brush.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Several years with passionate and brilliant engineers.

Former Employee - Director of Service Engineering  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Service Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There were the typical benefits of working for an Internet company, such as free food, cell phone, laptop, gym, and various family and individual social activities. However, the people are what make all the difference. Everyone I worked with at Yahoo! bled purple and, although I'm no longer working there, I still have purple in my blood.

Cons

The company seems to be in a constant state of organizational restructuring and uncertainty.

Manager

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

It was fun sometimes and other times

Cons

It wasn't fun because it didn't have a sandbox

Do better

It was great!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The intern program was very well put together. There were a lot of classes offered.

Cons

No cons Yahoo! was great and I hope to go back one day! Very flexible!

Yahoo! Labs is great

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

After experiencing all the downs in years, yahoo is again full of energy and people want to create. People are excited on the things they work on. It is also ideal place for PhD students looking for research oriented industrial experience. Various intern events. Great food. Nice environment.

Cons

Publications are not really making huge impacts on products.

Great people, great working environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Research Scientist  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer - Research Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

During last summer, I have worked as research intern in Yahoo labs
    - Relatively high compensation
    - Free high quality food
    - Interesting problems

Cons

People at Yahoo including CEO, Marissa Mayer, are really working hard to turnaround the company back to a growth. It seems that it needs some time.

Overall a decent experience

Former Employee - Media Buyer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Media Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yahoo provided educational classes such a Xcel, word, PPT to improve in your skill set and make your every day work more efficient. The main campus had great food at a subsidised price. The variety of fitness classes was also great.
    Moving positions internally was always possible and preferred than hiring outside, which is is pro if you are already apart of Yahoo. They also take on people who are changing career paths

Cons

Too much red tape causing slow transitions with everything. Culture is strongly dependent on the department/ team you are on as Yahoo has too many silos. Management is ok. Opportunities to transfer to international opportunities is dependent on your role, Yahoo budget cuts, and Yahoo layoffs. I managed to avoid 6 layoffs during my time there.

A good job with the usual corporate pitfalls.

Former Employee - Small Business Web Hosting Support  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Small Business Web Hosting Support in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is definitely room for advancement if you can show ability to take on the tasks. The company is very open to employee input for solving issues or creating new tools. The health benefits package is very good. Immediate management are knowledgable of the product and advocate for their employees.

Cons

As usual in a large corporation, one department may not be aware of what another is doing. Upper management can be disconnected from what your team needs to do a job as efficiently as possible. Despite preaching customer appreciation/specific service levels, money is the ultimate determining factor on some decisions to the detriment of the product and brand. Corporate higher ups can sometimes implement well meaning policies that make the job harder as a knee-jerk response to a complaint. Outsourcing can sometimes be a looming threat. Some back-end systems appear to no-longer have maintainers that truly understand how it is put together. IT can't always fix strange network problems despite creating issues that ultimately hurt your metrics and may result in discipline. Somewhat moderate churn for front line employees and some management.

Always make your employee's tools are properly working. Seek front-line employee input before implementing new procedural policies that may impact service levels.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!