Yahoo

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.4 1,692 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights
1,692 Employee Reviews

Still love the company despite company turmoil...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed working at Yahoo! as I love the brand and the company culture. However, after 3+ years and 12 reorgs, I was tired of the ever-changing goals and senior leader turmoil. While there, alignment was not difficult to achieve as most folks wanted to do what's best for the company.

ConsMoving up was extremely difficult as many times, it really depended upon who you knew and how to leverage that relationship. There were constant reorgs, senior leader changes, and layoffs while I was there which served more as distractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people including former Yahoos are still rooting for you. Keep pushing forward to rebuild the brand and doing what's best.

A great company to work for, up and coming in the mobile design department.

Yahoo Mobile Photo Editor (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat manager and team, free food, free gym, free shuttle, free work computer, fun events, new projects on mobile front

ConsCurrently a contractor, do not receive full benefits.

Great to work with Yahoo

Product Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFlexibility, Learning, Peers, Values, Perks

ConsLeadership, uncertanity, Office culture, work-life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great people and poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees were amazing people that I hope to work with again. I gained a lot of knowledge in this postion.

ConsPoor management and disconnects within departments

Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat experience to learn about the business. Has a lot of potential to grow and was a great opportunity. I would recommend this company

ConsCompensation was not as good as I beleived it would be. I wanted a lot more than they offered. However experience is worth more than money.

Overall good culture but lack of clear strategic direction

Vice President (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsReally smart group of people and leaders across the search team. The campus, benefits, and overall culture were very supportive and uplifting

ConsThe company lacked a core defined strategy, and as a result "every" group thought they were the top priority. As a result you had a significant amount of in-fighting between teams for resources, budget, and attention.

Nice Place to Work

Legal Director (Former Employee)

ProsI found Yahoo! to be a nice place to work with great, dedicated people. Once they learn to start monetizing their products they will be fine.

ConsLot's of politics. Lot's of drama. Lots of food. Lots of fun. There you go.

Awesome place to work

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture, projects and people

ConsLots of projects and competitive culture, not a con but can be a burden to some

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up career paths better, buying companies for talent seems expensive move

Great culture with great momentum

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe talent level and energy level has been amazing of late. Everyone is contributing and is raising the bar. Its a great time to be at Yahoo.

ConsNot everyone works on high profile projects. Some teams are doing maintenance work and can be less exciting than others. it is not hard to move around though....

The best company ever worked for

Software Engineer/Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe product, the people, the benefits, and the opportunities.

ConsNot all the upper management should be there

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better choices, and make sure they have good bedside manners. Just dont fill the spaces out of need.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!