Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,765 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place - ruined by middle layer management (with heavy Bureaucracy)

Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer)  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer) in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Decent salary
    - Great place
    - Great culture
    - Good talents
    - Top and leading industry tech stack
    - Cutting edge technology

Cons

- Upper & middle layer management sucks
    - Salary and process
    - Career growth

Just don't acquire and do nothing - pls do something!

Good culture, bad middle management

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is really good, the culture is fun and creative, great vacation days, lots of perks beyond the norm.

Cons

The biggest problem the company has is there is WAY too many middle layers in the orgs. There were as many as 8 people above me at any given time and much of it was dead weight that got in the way of the company's strategy. While I was there there were many rounds of layoffs and the people who lasted longest weren't the people who cared about doing the job well but were able to play politics the best, this is especially true in middle management.

Manager

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

It was fun sometimes and other times

Cons

It wasn't fun because it didn't have a sandbox

Do better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great atmosphere, pretty good pay, and lots of perks for the employees.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training available and time off. The vacation policy is very generous, and sick time even more so. Great work-life balance. Definitely depends on who you support, but I've had a great experience at Yahoo.

Cons

they have a quarterly review process that is time consuming and stressful, and they aren't good a giving out merit stock to anyone lower than Director level.

Great Experience with Highly Motivated People

Former Employee - Technical  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The perks and benefits are really great! Free quality food throughout the day is a great plus as well as the gym and gaming facilities. Yahoo is consistently putting out events from picnics, baseball match viewings to bringing hollywood stars for movie premieres. They really care about the employees and try to engage them in various ways.
    The office culture varies greatly based on department. The mobile department is fairly active and there is an air of excitement over new releases and features. The mobile teams are all in a very high growth stage and people are generally optimistic.

Cons

The major cons I would say are that while some parts of the company are attempting to move very quickly, legacy systems are still weighing heavily on new products.
    Many departments dont seem to feel the urgency to deliver and help Yahoo excel in this critical phase for the company.

Fantastic work culture and dedicated employees.

Former Employee - Technical Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Yahoo is a great place to work. The people are energetic and dedicated. Marissa is a great leader and is taking the company in the right direction.

As an intern, I got to work on code that touches hundreds of millions of people daily. I was given real responsibilities and treated like a full-time employee. My co-workers were very friendly and supportive.

Perks: great compensation and benefits, free meals everyday, unlimited made-to-order coffee. There are a bunch of fun events to which employees can bring their friends and family. Plenty of foosball tables everywhere so you can take a break and have fun with your peers during the workday. Work hours are flexible.

Overall, it was a solid internship experience. You get to learn a lot and meet a bunch of cool people; there's always something happening on campus.

Cons

None that I can think of... except that this year's intern program didn't have more fun events like previous years' intern programs did.

Great Experience with nice and talent people!!!

Former Employee - Technical Intern  in  Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Champaign, IL

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Yahoo! has great working and learning environment, and people there are very friendly, talented and willing to help.

Cons

Sometimes, the tasks assigned to me are not very challenging.

My manager is nice, patient and knowledgeable. He always offers me the opportunities that can help me improve and grow.

Amazing people with a really great vision. Lots of creative freedom, with the ambiance of a startup.

Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

It would be great if the SF office was a bit more core to the full operation, as it's gorgeous.

A complete turnaround company, under Marissa

Former Employee - Director of Product Management  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Mobile and Emerging Products (MEP) org is the best org anywhere in Silicon Valley to work for. They make apps that have own Apple Design Awards (Weather, News Digest) as well as have millions of DAUs
    - Marisa is a phenomenal leader and has assembled a great team
    - Perks and Salary are at par with the top companies, barring May be Google etc
    - Top talent of engineers assembled under one roof

Cons

- Too much difference is talent between orgs. Some people you meet will be really subpar, while others are really good.
    - if you are not in MEP, you are not that good.
    - Hiring and promos are very random and people are not calibrated well against each level. HR is messed up.

Very nice

Former Employee - Call Center Employee
    Former Employee - Call Center Employee

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, fun coworkers, compensation, food, company culture

Cons

Work-life balance, commute, fluorescent lights, weird campus, frequent lay offs

TrAining is insufficient in some cases. Great company culture here, I loved the sense of togetherness I experienced when working at Yahoo! The benefits were pretty good for the salary and I enjoyed the free food and coffee immensely, The vacation days and two weeks off for Christmas (!!!) were really very nice. The location of the campus was somewhat convenient to public transportation. I loved working at Yahoo and I would work for them again.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!