Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,750 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place - ruined by middle layer management (with heavy Bureaucracy)

Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer)  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer) in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Decent salary
    - Great place
    - Great culture
    - Good talents
    - Top and leading industry tech stack
    - Cutting edge technology

Cons

- Upper & middle layer management sucks
    - Salary and process
    - Career growth

Just don't acquire and do nothing - pls do something!

Keeps you on your toes

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, fun environment, and good place to start

Cons

Internal job transfers are tough to follow up with

A complete turnaround company, under Marissa

Former Employee - Director of Product Management  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Mobile and Emerging Products (MEP) org is the best org anywhere in Silicon Valley to work for. They make apps that have own Apple Design Awards (Weather, News Digest) as well as have millions of DAUs
    - Marisa is a phenomenal leader and has assembled a great team
    - Perks and Salary are at par with the top companies, barring May be Google etc
    - Top talent of engineers assembled under one roof

Cons

- Too much difference is talent between orgs. Some people you meet will be really subpar, while others are really good.
    - if you are not in MEP, you are not that good.
    - Hiring and promos are very random and people are not calibrated well against each level. HR is messed up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to be!

Current Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Yahoo is an amazing community filled with highly technical, passionate and kind people. Yahoos are really open and the company is focused on improving the products already released and creating new products that users will enjoy. The environment is great for any age and the community vibe gives it the feel on an extension of college. If you thought college was the best time of your life, you will love Yahoo. It's fast paced, the people are great and there is so much to learn and do on campus. You can find great opportunities anywhere.

There are some reviews on here which state something about a bell curve review system where every employee has to fit a position in the bell curve and if you are at the bottom of the bell curve for 3 quarters in a row you get fired... *sigh*, it is complete bull. I wish I hadn't believed it because it stressed me out a little bit when I started, but I asked my manager about it and he just laughed. There were some rounds on layoffs a couple years back when MM took control. There was a rating system in place but basically it was people who weren't trying and who were not committing any code who were laid off/fired. If you go in every day, work with your team, enjoy the fun things at Yahoo and get things done no one will want to get rid of you.

I also heard that if you keep getting the highest ratings in your quarterly reviews that they promote you and give you raises and more responsibility to make sure you are challenged. It isn't about waiting for a spot to come available, it's about making sure that you as a person develop, not just the company. I LOVE that!

You also get long term disability insurance for free. This is a highly valuable perk!! I had a friend who injured himself scuba diving and is now paralyzed from the neck down. His company didn't provide LTD insurance and he had to ask his friends and family for money to help support his family and pay medical bills. It was heartbreaking to watch someone so vibrant do something they were embarrassed about while losing the use of 90% of their body. Most companies only give you short term for free. If the same accident happened to me I would get half of my salary from Yahoo until I was 65 and Yahoo would also take care of my medical bills. I am sure you could pay extra to increase the percentage to something like 80%, I'm thinking about it. I like to scuba dive.

Craziest perk: In building C there's a refrigerator next to the gym entrance filled with flowers. If you're going home late or it's your wife's birthday you can grab some *nice* bouquets of flowers to take home. Free of course. :)

Cons

There's the whole "Work from home" thing that was a big deal to a lot of people, but I agree with the policy. I'd rather be on campus collaborating. You *can* work from home, but you need a reason such as doctor's appt, or DMV appt, plumber coming etc. But wouldn't you just rather be on campus for the free food?

One point I will mention is that I had cheaper healthcare at my former company which was a lot smaller. There are about 5 policies to choose from. I used to get brand name meds for $10, now they're $30. It's still a great price compared to Obamacare and sure, I get paid a lot, but I was expecting a little bit better from Yahoo.

Cheaper healthcare? :)

good experience

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

open culture, opportunity to grow

Cons

upper management incompetent, too many vp/senior director

Amazing people with a really great vision. Lots of creative freedom, with the ambiance of a startup.

Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

It would be great if the SF office was a bit more core to the full operation, as it's gorgeous.

Very nice

Former Employee - Call Center Employee
    Former Employee - Call Center Employee

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, fun coworkers, compensation, food, company culture

Cons

Work-life balance, commute, fluorescent lights, weird campus, frequent lay offs

TrAining is insufficient in some cases. Great company culture here, I loved the sense of togetherness I experienced when working at Yahoo! The benefits were pretty good for the salary and I enjoyed the free food and coffee immensely, The vacation days and two weeks off for Christmas (!!!) were really very nice. The location of the campus was somewhat convenient to public transportation. I loved working at Yahoo and I would work for them again.

Fun company to work for

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor

Pros

Great atmosphere, freedom, lots of talented people

Cons

Company health constantly up and down

Talent Acquisition Project Coordinator

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor

Pros

Worked with a smart, energetic and fun team.

Cons

After awhile the long commute became and issue.

Excellent Place to work for

Current Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Scale at yahoo is the biggest reason you would like to be a part of it. Everything you do here has tremendous amount of scale which is hard to find.

Cons

Yahoo is still inits turn around phase. Lack of strong products.

Personal growth is the area where I feel Yahoo needs to improve.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!