Yahoo

3.4 1,605 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

1,605 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance"
    in 138 reviews
  • "Good place to work to learn cutting edge technologies and to work with brilliant and smart people"
    in 122 reviews
Cons:
  • "Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes"
    in 77 reviews
  • "Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

horrible people in IT Management

Burbank, CA

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor

Prosfree food, good cafeteria ...pool table snacks and nice environment

ConsMistreat newly joined people..treat consultants like labors. boss around too much..most of them seem to be Indians especially in corp apps side..

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to know how to treat people and have reasonable expectations

Yahoo

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

ProsThe food in the kitchen is free

ConsThe process is all over the place

Toxic experience

Software Engineering Manager (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the people I worked with were amazing. The rest were there to take up space and collect a paycheck.

ConsTerrible place to work. Toxic environment. Total pressure cooker. The harder you work, the more they dump on you. Many employees slide under the radar. Only saving grace was that most of the work horses survived the frequent and MASSIVE layoffs.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your soul will die

Manager (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat cafeteria! I met some really great people.

ConsWorking environment is stale. People are afraid to speak-up as they might be layed-off - leadership creates a hunger games environment. Infrastructure does not support growth. Products are from 1998. Sunnyvale makes your soul wither away.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over.

As bad as you've heard, and then some.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

ProsThe gym is open all day, the cafeteria food is better than average (and apparently free now) and the coffee is free.

ConsEngineering is a mess. Officially supported software was super outdated (Apache 1.3? FreeBSD 4.x?), teams frequently duplicated effort, official standards (No more FreeBSD!) conflicted with reality (Work in mail? Write your code on FreeBSD). Want to get a small change pushed out live? Hope you like meetings and overhead. The team I was on was "Agile" which meant we sat through 4 hours a week of sprint-related meetings. I was hired to rebuild an existing system only to find out after I started that I wasn't allowed to change said system because too many people depended on it being exactly the way it was (said system came originally from another company Yahoo acquired in the late 90's - think DHTML and Java applets for scrolling text on the screen and you're in the ballpark). So after two months I had nothing to do other than use the gym and hunt for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should seriously nuke most engineering projects from orbit. This isn't an attempt at sarcasm or humor - you'd have an easier time rebuilding entire teams, products, and organizations from scratch than you will trying to improve things by changing a piece here or there. Think hard about why you're buying up all of the startups that you are - how have <10 person teams managed to come up with technology that blows away anything your product team has come up with in the last decade? It's because they're not carrying around all of your luggage.

Fun

I worked at Yahoo

ProsGreat place to work now

ConsLots of red tape still

Advice to Senior ManagementSucks

Not recommended

Omaha, NE

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Proscasual dress. free food (although it really comes out of your salary...)

ConsDishonest management in the Omaha office. The whole company is so disorganized and the higher ups have no idea how bad it is (or just don't care). They get rid of new employees who work extremely hard and bring fresh perspectives to the company, while virtually all managers and directors who have been there since the declines began are unquestioned. No way the company will return to its "glory days".

Worst job I ever had!

Omaha, NE

I worked at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

ProsFree food, cell phone expense

ConsWorst management in the Omaha office! They treat their employees terribly! They are verbally abusive and they lie. They offer you a severence package when they find out you are looking for a new job so youll leave right away and then they revoke it as soon as you walk out the door! Do not trust this company!!!

Instill job environment where cornerstone's based on distrust, pile-on, competition amongst peers & broken model of QPR

Account Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe comprehensive Medical and Misc. Benefits Package. Also have the chance to work with some very smart, funny, and downright cool co-workers.

ConsAbsolute Burn-Out: Requirements and mandates keep piling on pre-established role. Constant ReOrgs and sudden meshing of completely separate departments/platforms into one single entity. More work, less resources, longer hours, no pay increase.

99% Employees = frustrated/demoralized...

...while 1% (yes, that 1%) of C-Level Execs, SVP's, VP's and Board Directors are Laughing and Singing all the way to the Bank "Mo' Money, Mo' Money! $$$!"

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the Gestapo techniques, it's crumby for morale company-wide; meaning, nix the tracking of every single task/update/meeting/phone call/sale/up-sell/etc. You've created a time-suck unlike anything I've ever experienced before as each worker-bee is now, for all intents and purposes, engaging in an everlasting exercise in redundancy by updating an internal system for something already completed so that some team can check their box off and say, "Yep, it's redundant. And time consuming. But they can be tracked now!"

Also, the incessant, passive-aggressive messaging from emails sent by, example, our newest (*Insert 3-letter Acronym) of Global Ops to all of Yahoo on the Friday prior to Christmas at 10pm EST: "Our employees are our most treasured asset. Your sacrifices do not go unnoticed. But our employees can Always do better, and we will all need to do so throughout 2014, oftentimes with more work and less resources." Focus more on employee satisfaction and their work / life balance to maintain an established set of intelligent, experienced, and happy workers vs. the burn and churn. People leave, no added head-count is addressed or implemented, you push the unaligned work on to another employee who is likely already struggling to keep pace and gasping for air; this behavior is all too commonplace these days and is a real shame. There is no longer a Yahoo culture of yesteryear - there is only pressure to do more with less time / less resources for the same pay. No one enjoys it and it is voiced in many circles. But we cannot openly discuss at this stage unless you'd like your very job on the line.

don't have great prospect in India

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIndia is doing bad. not vision for bangalore r & d. Please don't join

ConsIndia is doing bad. not vision for bangalore r & d. Please don't join

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ethical

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer. All 1,605 reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees.