Yahoo

3.6
1,739 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Service Engineer

Current Employee - Service Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Genuine technical foundation. Excellent working environment. Unlimited working infrastructure.

Cons

Extremely sluggish recruitment process, very much disappointing.

Be promising while interviewing.

Terrible company with entitled executive management and office staff

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

Pros

Free food.
    Yahoo pays well for the industry.

Cons

-horrible executive staff with no vision. They are constantly at odds with one another.
    -complete micro management from the CEO.
    -project timelines are unrealistic.
    -internal processes are prohibitive in nature, lacking the business to generate revenue. Note, they have been developed by current management teams.
    -company is now engineer focused, to a degree where internal structure is falling apart.
    -hr process... Well, just read the news reports.

No comment. They don't listen.

This used to be a great company, then it lost its way, forgot what it was, and chose sucky management

Former Employee - Something In Human Resources  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Something In Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The benefits package is pretty great.

Cons

Years ago, we had a hard card of "Our Core Values" that we added to our badges. One of the core values was communication. Well, hope springs eternal. Too often the right had didn't know what the left hand was doing. Departments were siloed and had vested a vested interest in protecting their turf. The idea of "One Yahoo!" was floated for over a decade and will never come to fruition. Back in the day, we were a search company and our competition was Google. Then we became a media company, and our competition was Sony, EMI, and newspapers/magazines. Then we became a social media company and our competition was Facebook, for crying out loud. When I was forced out, we'd decided that we were no longer a media company but we weren't told what sort of company we were. I'd lived through 5 CEOs, including the resurrection of Jerry Yang, and wow, was THAT a worthless choice. There's a general consensus that Marissa didn't tell the Board that she was pregnant before they hired her. She hired her BFF out of Portugal (before he had the legal right to work in the US, of course, cuz the laws don't apply to Marissa and her senior staff), and very publicly threw him under the bus when she could no longer deny that he was out of his league. She's made some lame hiring decisions, and she's made some really horrible hiring decisions. EVERY offer passes through at least one hiring committee, and then is scrutinized by Marissa. If she doesn't like the comp (and she often doesn't), she will reduce it to what she thinks is fitting and there is no appeal. She talks about hiring the best and the brightest but neither the best nor the brightest will surrender their right to negotiate their compensation. Anyone who does so cannot, by definition, be either the best or the brightest. Free food goes only so far. Oh, and cutting work from home while claiming that it only affected 100 people, most of whom, according to you, rarely logged into the network to actually work seems a little like overkill. Friday 430 pm all-hands meetings is also a nice touch, especially when if you show up at 4:31pm, security will not unlock the doors to let you in.

The employee population have also gone from reasonably nice/decent to an unattractive assortment of narcissists and ego maniacs who seem to take out their frustration of having no work-life balance and being constantly under the gun and under threat of getting a poor quarterly review that they can take it out on their co-workers. We used to have fun at Yahoo!. We'd work our tails off but we'd have fun. Now it is just a miserable, hateful place.

Perp walk Marissa and the rest of her senior staff. Figure out what you want the company to be in its old age. Cut loose with a few of the superfluous layers of management. Stop lying. Value your employees and quit trying to pit them one against the other.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place to work

Pros

Nice perks, good compensation,

Cons

Yahoo has become a malicious place to work for. Every Quarter, they get rid of significant number of people just to create continuous anxiety and pressure among employees. Marisa operates with a lot of ego and arrogance. No one likes her although no one is dare enough to admit it. Managers operate with poor ethics and integrity. I advice engineers to stay away from this company. I'm a former Engineer.

See above.

Worst Employer Ever

Current Employee - Designer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Free food but beware of chaotic cafeteria

Cons

Horrible culture! I'm surprised that Yahoo has even survived especially now with Marissa Mayer. Very unwelcoming environment. Practically feels like a place where everyone is a robot and brainwashed. This is the very first company throughout my career where I've experienced such a lack of professionalism and respect. I didn't have any expectations for what was going to happen during my time here, but it is unacceptable and I am disappointed.

Learn to teach your staff some manners and just stop the wanna-be Google lifestyle on this campus. It's not working for Yahoo!

Yahoo has a grim future

Pros

Looks good on your resume as one of the pioneers of internet technology

Cons

- the managers, worst of the kind I have ever seen. they do not care about quality of the product they deliver. the code looks like it is being done as part of high school/college project. all these managers do is to ask for updates from one meeting to the other. they add zero value to any product.
    - no real focus on any specific idea or product. focus keeps shifting resulting in half baked products and junk code that never gets cleaned up
    - absolutely insane timelines

I believe all the "good" reviews here are given by new joinees. anyone who has worked for atleast half a year know things are going downhill.

Great if you're an Engineer or Developer - Otherwise, beware.

Pros

Good benefits, perks, most people are nice.

Cons

Executive team is not aligned. Open and constant bickering leads to a volatile environment. Limited to no communication. Inconsistent direction given be each executive. Limited accountability with mush blame being pushed to lower management. Extremely political with tons of micro-management.

None. They don't listen.

Yahoo Bangalore has lost focus

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Bangalore (India)

Pros

free food, perks, open source technologies, cab service, lot of smart people (who are now leaving in large numbers), was a fun place to be

Cons

everything else. management has become extremely political and they just do whatever it takes to save themselves and the engineers are the scapegoats. There is no real innovation happening here since people have become extremely defensive to meet their QPR numbers. Everything is now tied to your ratings (e.g if you want to transfer to another team you need to have above average ratings which you can get only if you can lick your manager boots). Marissa has destroyed the company culture and values for her own benifits

Stop being authoritarian and bureaucratic. Take care of the employees that have stayed with you for long. Scrap the QPR process.

horrible people in IT Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Pros

free food, good cafeteria ...pool table snacks and nice environment

Cons

Mistreat newly joined people..treat consultants like labors. boss around too much..most of them seem to be Indians especially in corp apps side..

Managers need to know how to treat people and have reasonable expectations

Yahoo

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The food in the kitchen is free

Cons

The process is all over the place

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!