Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,770 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

The company from hell

Current Employee - Data Insights Analyst  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Data Insights Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people. They were clueless about the reality of the company. So after awhile you tend to have alot in common with them - misery.
    Some of the managers can really be encouraging and supportive.
    Transport, free breakfast, lunch etc

Cons

The company takes more than it gives.
    Absolutely slow when it comes to growth and development.
    While your direct managers might be great they have no power to stop higher management when they want to screw with you.
    Leadership can be pissy. They can treat you like kids all because they're in a better position

Shut it down!

Leadership lacking leadership

Current Employee - Director  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance is good and pay/benefits are very good. I don't think the compensation will be sustainable, though, as the ratio of revenue to employee is poor relative to competitors and revenue has been flatlining.

Cons

The leadership is very smart but inexperienced and it shows in a number of poor decisions. The CEO has lots of product smarts but lacks experience running a company and has made poor hiring decisions including the costly selection of a COO. HR leadership appointment was made to someone with no HR experience which led to very poor HR policies and programs including discontinuation of work from home option... and quarterly forced ranking performance reviews. Marketing leadership, though bright, is out of touch and not inclined to listen to employees. This has led to poor, myopic decisions such as taking a classic, dynamic, and unique logo and turning into something quite bland.

Allow employees to speak more freely without any recourse and listen to them. We've lost a lot of talent to other Silicon Valley firms but there are still employees with good ideas and sound judgment. Hire more leaders who have good people skills and show compassion for their employees.

Byzantine, multi-layered structure that kills innovation

Former Employee - Editor  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits
    Location
    Free food
    (I truly can't come up with anything else!)

Cons

Bizarrely layered structure for the simplest of tasks
    Multiple people holding similar job titles so it's impossible to figure out who's in charge of what
    Truly awful people in the Santa Monica office - everyone seemed to hate their job

I worked there a few years ago so under Marissa Mayer things may now be different. I hope so.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big Potential, Bad Management for Freelance Writers

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer

I worked at Yahoo for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, assignments offered upfront pay plus residuals based on page views, provided excellent "writing for the web" online training for newbies and professional writers.

Cons

Crummy management overall, inconsistent and downright bizarre (at times) staff editors, poor site maintenance, but they shutdown the site instead of correcting the problems.

Relaunch the site with better management, staff, and pay on a better platform.

Unstable

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No cap on sick leaves,no dress code,fun activities once in a while.

Cons

The unstable nature of the company has everyone worrying about their future.As a contractor,you are safe.Do a good job and take the pay and go home.The moment you become a Full Time Employee...the timer starts.In the name of 'Performance',you can be thrown out of the job at any moment.No matter how much you slog,you break your back,screw up your health,exceed the targets set,in the end,you will get a crappy rating and made to look like you messed up.There is a lot of crap going on with the management and you'll never understand the logic behind throwing talented people out.

Stop the secrecy and the 'inspirational' speeches.

Service Engineer

Current Employee - Service Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuine technical foundation. Excellent working environment. Unlimited working infrastructure.

Cons

Extremely sluggish recruitment process, very much disappointing.

Be promising while interviewing.

Terrible company with entitled executive management and office staff

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free food.
    Yahoo pays well for the industry.

Cons

-horrible executive staff with no vision. They are constantly at odds with one another.
    -complete micro management from the CEO.
    -project timelines are unrealistic.
    -internal processes are prohibitive in nature, lacking the business to generate revenue. Note, they have been developed by current management teams.
    -company is now engineer focused, to a degree where internal structure is falling apart.
    -hr process... Well, just read the news reports.

No comment. They don't listen.

This used to be a great company, then it lost its way, forgot what it was, and chose sucky management

Former Employee - Something In Human Resources  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Something In Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits package is pretty great.

Cons

Years ago, we had a hard card of "Our Core Values" that we added to our badges. One of the core values was communication. Well, hope springs eternal. Too often the right had didn't know what the left hand was doing. Departments were siloed and had vested a vested interest in protecting their turf. The idea of "One Yahoo!" was floated for over a decade and will never come to fruition. Back in the day, we were a search company and our competition was Google. Then we became a media company, and our competition was Sony, EMI, and newspapers/magazines. Then we became a social media company and our competition was Facebook, for crying out loud. When I was forced out, we'd decided that we were no longer a media company but we weren't told what sort of company we were. I'd lived through 5 CEOs, including the resurrection of Jerry Yang, and wow, was THAT a worthless choice. There's a general consensus that Marissa didn't tell the Board that she was pregnant before they hired her. She hired her BFF out of Portugal (before he had the legal right to work in the US, of course, cuz the laws don't apply to Marissa and her senior staff), and very publicly threw him under the bus when she could no longer deny that he was out of his league. She's made some lame hiring decisions, and she's made some really horrible hiring decisions. EVERY offer passes through at least one hiring committee, and then is scrutinized by Marissa. If she doesn't like the comp (and she often doesn't), she will reduce it to what she thinks is fitting and there is no appeal. She talks about hiring the best and the brightest but neither the best nor the brightest will surrender their right to negotiate their compensation. Anyone who does so cannot, by definition, be either the best or the brightest. Free food goes only so far. Oh, and cutting work from home while claiming that it only affected 100 people, most of whom, according to you, rarely logged into the network to actually work seems a little like overkill. Friday 430 pm all-hands meetings is also a nice touch, especially when if you show up at 4:31pm, security will not unlock the doors to let you in.

The employee population have also gone from reasonably nice/decent to an unattractive assortment of narcissists and ego maniacs who seem to take out their frustration of having no work-life balance and being constantly under the gun and under threat of getting a poor quarterly review that they can take it out on their co-workers. We used to have fun at Yahoo!. We'd work our tails off but we'd have fun. Now it is just a miserable, hateful place.

Perp walk Marissa and the rest of her senior staff. Figure out what you want the company to be in its old age. Cut loose with a few of the superfluous layers of management. Stop lying. Value your employees and quit trying to pit them one against the other.

Bad place to work

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice perks, good compensation,

Cons

Yahoo has become a malicious place to work for. Every Quarter, they get rid of significant number of people just to create continuous anxiety and pressure among employees. Marisa operates with a lot of ego and arrogance. No one likes her although no one is dare enough to admit it. Managers operate with poor ethics and integrity. I advice engineers to stay away from this company. I'm a former Engineer.

See above.

Worst Employer Ever

Current Employee - Designer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Free food but beware of chaotic cafeteria

Cons

Horrible culture! I'm surprised that Yahoo has even survived especially now with Marissa Mayer. Very unwelcoming environment. Practically feels like a place where everyone is a robot and brainwashed. This is the very first company throughout my career where I've experienced such a lack of professionalism and respect. I didn't have any expectations for what was going to happen during my time here, but it is unacceptable and I am disappointed.

Learn to teach your staff some manners and just stop the wanna-be Google lifestyle on this campus. It's not working for Yahoo!

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!