Yahoo

3.6
1,956 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Lot of smart people to work with, too good in using latest technologies (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 34 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

DR Analyst

Former Employee - DR ANALYST in Cairo (Egypt)
    Former Employee - DR ANALYST in Cairo (Egypt)

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Non, Managers don't listen, no career development opportunities for non Europeans, average perks compared to local companies

Cons

Tons, the list can go endless

Nope

Bad atmosphere, everyone is leaving

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Free food and iPhones is a bonus

Cons

Morale is at an all time low.

Poor direction and senior management

Former Employee - Senior Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This place looks pretty good on your resume and you will learn a lot about working at global scale that is unbelievable on a daily basis.

Cons

Extreme hours with terrible performance review process that encourages individuality and discourages teamwork in many ways. The senior management is constantly changing the target and the bar. Prepare for early burnout. Plus with the "Quarterly Performance Review" (QPR) you never know if/when you're going to be fired over something stupid.

Get rid of the QPR system. Its pitting team members against each other just to save their own jobs.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Mobile Build Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Mobile Build Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pro to work here

Cons

Managers are jerks. The head of mobile doesn't have any brain . The dumbest idea come out of his mouth.

Listen to your employees they are ones doing the work not you. Working in open office has to be the worst idea ever. Boy is is so hard to work when you have just a 2x4 desk and no space to yourself

Lack of innovation

Current Employee - Current Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good food
    Good work balance
    Trying to create new products

Cons

no clear career
    Old fashion management style

needs to give more freedom to employees

High hopes, disappointing internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic employee culture! Most people here are happy to be here. They should be. The work environment is relaxed and fun. The managers are rarely overbearing or negative. The company seems to genuinely care about the positive work experience enjoyed by its employees.

Cons

1. I was assigned to a project that management knew I would dislike. Several managers, including the one who assigned the project, made it quite clear that they felt sorry for the two interns who got "stuck" with this project. It "just needed to be done" and the interns were considered cheap temporary labor. Even though we were both graduate students, the project was nearly all repetitive and not developmental at all. It involved very little interaction with any Yahoo employees, so any time we spent interacting with employees detracted from our job.

2. Throughout the summer, it was made very clear that the interns graduating the following year (including me) would receive offers. We were encouraged (though not helped) to meet with managers throughout the department to find roles that we would like to work in when we were brought on full time. We were put through a series of interviews late in the summer to identify good fits with different divisions in the department. Then on the very last day of the internship, we were informed that the recruiting budget would be used for "experienced hires" instead of "campus hires" this year, so the interns would not receive offers.

3. They say the are the world's largest startup, and they act like it. Processes change weekly. They are missing many of the basic things expected of large established companies, like job descriptions and basic information on how the business works. People work on their own projects with no regard for how they affect processes and work in other offices or departments. Managers spend no time coordinating across projects because they are all expected to work on projects themselves.

1. Employees deserve honesty and predictability. This includes interns. Make sure managers are acting with integrity and communicating openly all the time.

2. Find a business strategy. You're not Google, so stop trying to emulate them. The strategy can't be "have engineers who make internet stuff" - who is your market and what do they want from you. Your customers can't only be advertisers.

Disorganized, Hope It's Better Now

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Great food
    Great compensation
    General sense of excitement

Cons

Very political
    Bureaucratic, micromanaged work
    No work-life balance

getting much worse

Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good compensation and benefits
    free food

Cons

Very bad, unprofessional management that only play politics to survive;
    Quarterly performance review (QPR) system gives unlimited power to management to do whatever they want with engineers;
    Unrealistic QPR goals that impossible to achieve gives management full freedom to put any QPR score based on manager personal decision;
    Up to 5% hidden layoffs by performance due to QPR score every quarter without severance package;
    Lots of great engineers have been fired by “performance” just because of managers wanted to get rid of inconvenient people;
    Due to bell curve inside team (low 5% should go every quarter) there is no team work at all. Nobody shares any knowledge and help;
    No work/life balance;
    Culture is good for new college grads and interns but very bad for senior engineers with knowledge and experience;
    So if you are senior engineer please stay away from this company. You will not be appreciated and rewarded;

Yahoo used to be great company with good culture and excellent engineers. Unfortunately, it is getting much worse now. It has all potentials to be successful company: good engineering team, money from Alibaba, brand, customers, products, etc. The only problem is – management. Please reorganize management team if you want to move forward.

Fake Reviews For Yahoo

I worked at Yahoo full-time

Pros

I use to think the free food was a pro. But when you have to wait in line for 20-30 minutes to get lunch I think it's fair to say that's no longer a pro.

Cons

- Wow so many fake reviews on glassdoor. I love how there are reviews for Nov 11th, 12, 13th...one after another. And all four stars. Marissa is this your handy work?
    - Cut throat work environment
    - No direction
    - Who uses Yahoo? No one..Marissa has just done a great job of getting herself in the news to keep things interesting.
    - Trying to make Yahoo like Google
    - No appreciation for its employees.
    - No work life balance.

Current CEO is the Death Rattle

Former Employee - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Free Food (but greasy)
    * Cell phone
    * ICs are usually smart
    * Some managers are awesome

Cons

Long Standing Issues:
    * Meetingitis - ICs for hours a week, managers all the time. Meetings to prepare for meetings about meetings.
    * Too many middle managers, and the ones that "kiss up and kick down" get promoted.
    * Silos, no incentive to work with other groups or have fresh ideas. People who do get screwed in the reviews.
    * Top down, one size fits all "Agile" process imposed, whether it makes sense or not. Lots of "Cargo Cult Agile" used as a micromanagement tool ("Why haven't you done what you committed to?" - every sprint a death march.)
    * Below market wages - by around $20K
    * Loaded with H1(b) indentured workers, who get treated like slaves because they can't quit without being shipped home. This pressures wages for everyone below market. Slow green card process, too - because once people get their green card, they will leave.
    * NIH syndrome - long standing habit of not wanting anything in their stack not invented or at least pissed in by in-house engineers. Only dribs and drabs given back to the open source community.
    * HR sides with management, even when management does something so egregiously bad that multiple people report it.

Current CEO added:
    * QPR - quarterly stack ranking, employees compete against each other to not get voted off the island. You're gauged on how visible what you do is, not on how well you do it. People are paranoid and demoralized.
    * Open plan, no partitions, small desks, no privacy, noisy - symbolizes utter contempt for employees and their need for personal space.
    * No WFH - to address a problem with incompetent management not realizing that some employees weren't doing any work, the whole company was forced to come in to the (now nasty and crowded) office. Swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, and a nasty letter from HR to kick it off.
    * Beware changing groups, your previous manager will give you a bad QPR, and if you had one before you're out the door.
    * Mimicking Google, trying to draw in RCGs, shoving older workers (and their domain knowledge) out the door.
    * People let go in QPR are asked to sign an absolution letter saying there was no discrimination or retaliation at Yahoo in order to get their severance. [I didn't sign - it would have been a lie.] Letter also demanded the existence of the letter be kept secret for some reason... but only if you agreed to it.
    * C-level micromanagement, and when people point out user dissatisfaction or problems, just dismisses the users as "whiners" or "change averse".

I bled purple. I tried to tell people when they were being short sighted. The product offerings kept being "redesigned" in worse and worse ways, by people who didn't understand or care about their hard core users, power users, and other heavily invested users. Lowest common denominator became king, and more app development was shipped overseas. The main page became even more tabloid.

Madam CEO, you need to:
    A) Scrap your nasty little QPR scheme, it's destroying the company just like annual stack ranking destroyed Microsoft.
    B) Fire half of HR. HR is not trustworthy. Teach the rest how to communicate without insulting people's intelligence.
    C) Don't treat your people like 50's factory floor peons. The rows of desks crammed together suck.
    D) Stop micromanaging, you aren't that smart a technologist. You handle the schmoozing, let the technical folks handle the products.

Seriously, barely six months after I left I sold my stock.