Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,760 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Nearly 10 years, no promotion

Current Employee - Editor  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not much to say here but there's decent free food, a location with nice weather, and I've made a few amazing friends. Got a couple good stock bonuses.

Cons

After nearly 10 yrs of service, and stellar year-end reviews, including two "exceeds" rankings, I have been verbally promised a promotion from at least 5 managers. Since I've had so many managers, I have to start over with each one to prove myself. I am still making close to my base salary in 2010!! There is no clear vision on my team. So many people are unmotivated. We're not taking enough risks... Buzzfeed and Huffpost are beating us in the social realm, and it's because we play it too safe. We aren't edgy enough for today's readers. Not shareable or viral. Just boring!

Motivate me. Work for those six figures and stop using your kid as an excuse to leave early.

Low-stress, low expectations workplace for young professionals; not so great for senior folks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loads of employee perks; Yahoo pampers people

Cons

A whole lot of internal politics and cronyism mean that career growth isn't related to the value you bring

Great Experience with Highly Motivated People

Former Employee - Technical  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The perks and benefits are really great! Free quality food throughout the day is a great plus as well as the gym and gaming facilities. Yahoo is consistently putting out events from picnics, baseball match viewings to bringing hollywood stars for movie premieres. They really care about the employees and try to engage them in various ways.
    The office culture varies greatly based on department. The mobile department is fairly active and there is an air of excitement over new releases and features. The mobile teams are all in a very high growth stage and people are generally optimistic.

Cons

The major cons I would say are that while some parts of the company are attempting to move very quickly, legacy systems are still weighing heavily on new products.
    Many departments dont seem to feel the urgency to deliver and help Yahoo excel in this critical phase for the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic work culture and dedicated employees.

Former Employee - Technical Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Yahoo is a great place to work. The people are energetic and dedicated. Marissa is a great leader and is taking the company in the right direction.

As an intern, I got to work on code that touches hundreds of millions of people daily. I was given real responsibilities and treated like a full-time employee. My co-workers were very friendly and supportive.

Perks: great compensation and benefits, free meals everyday, unlimited made-to-order coffee. There are a bunch of fun events to which employees can bring their friends and family. Plenty of foosball tables everywhere so you can take a break and have fun with your peers during the workday. Work hours are flexible.

Overall, it was a solid internship experience. You get to learn a lot and meet a bunch of cool people; there's always something happening on campus.

Cons

None that I can think of... except that this year's intern program didn't have more fun events like previous years' intern programs did.

A chaotic place to work

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Pays well. Good free food and lots of it catering to different cultures. Onsite gym.

Cons

Work environment is very loud. You always have to wear headphones. Full time employees don't like to mingle with contractors. Very few managers are nice. They are under pressure from upper management and CEO. Yahoo is trying to do away with contractors so they shortened the contracts of several contractors.

Honor contracts instead of shortening them.

Best Work Culture

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

I left Y! two years ago. Heard that somethings changed since then. Hence be careful

1)Awesome work culture, decent work
    2)Can learn a lot from colleagues since most of them are intelligent, hard working and very helpful in nature
    3)Flexible work timings
    4)Less internal politics
    5)Good Decent salary
    6)Lots of training sessions, extra curricular activities etc

Cons

1)Leadership isn't exact clear/visible
    2)RoadMaps aren't very good.

Top Level Management should be more visible and should take more resposibility

Good culture, bad middle management

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is really good, the culture is fun and creative, great vacation days, lots of perks beyond the norm.

Cons

The biggest problem the company has is there is WAY too many middle layers in the orgs. There were as many as 8 people above me at any given time and much of it was dead weight that got in the way of the company's strategy. While I was there there were many rounds of layoffs and the people who lasted longest weren't the people who cared about doing the job well but were able to play politics the best, this is especially true in middle management.

The company from hell

Current Employee - Data Insights Analyst  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Data Insights Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people. They were clueless about the reality of the company. So after awhile you tend to have alot in common with them - misery.
    Some of the managers can really be encouraging and supportive.
    Transport, free breakfast, lunch etc

Cons

The company takes more than it gives.
    Absolutely slow when it comes to growth and development.
    While your direct managers might be great they have no power to stop higher management when they want to screw with you.
    Leadership can be pissy. They can treat you like kids all because they're in a better position

Shut it down!

Leadership lacking leadership

Current Employee - Director  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance is good and pay/benefits are very good. I don't think the compensation will be sustainable, though, as the ratio of revenue to employee is poor relative to competitors and revenue has been flatlining.

Cons

The leadership is very smart but inexperienced and it shows in a number of poor decisions. The CEO has lots of product smarts but lacks experience running a company and has made poor hiring decisions including the costly selection of a COO. HR leadership appointment was made to someone with no HR experience which led to very poor HR policies and programs including discontinuation of work from home option... and quarterly forced ranking performance reviews. Marketing leadership, though bright, is out of touch and not inclined to listen to employees. This has led to poor, myopic decisions such as taking a classic, dynamic, and unique logo and turning into something quite bland.

Allow employees to speak more freely without any recourse and listen to them. We've lost a lot of talent to other Silicon Valley firms but there are still employees with good ideas and sound judgment. Hire more leaders who have good people skills and show compassion for their employees.

Changing Quickly

Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The management teams are supportive and appreciative of smart hard work. The Santa Monica office has a great culture with emphasis on work/life balance. Great place for parents or people who value life outside of work.

Cons

During 2013, the big con was that. Working conditions were totally dependent upon which department you worked in. Certain managers were excellent and on the ball, others were scattered and didn't understand how to plan a roadmap, resulting in lack of results for the whole team. This has probably changed over the past year.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!