Yahoo

3.6
1,865 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Lot of smart people to work with, too good in using latest technologies (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 34 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting environment but a mess internally

I worked at Yahoo full-time

Pros

If you get to know enough people at Yahoo you'll meet some really great people that can stick with you for life. Individually, there is a lot of talent there. Some of the best years of my career so far were at Yahoo, even though it was always an uphill battle to get anything measurable done. I met lifelong friends and have kept in touch with the people who were as dedicated to their work as I was. There were a lot of people who just floated by too. You don't have to prove to be a superstar to keep your job there - you can just float along getting things done - if that's your thing. It was always an internal joke that no one ever gets fired at Yahoo. But landing in a team there with an innovative leader can end up being a fantastic career experience.

Cons

As a whole, any individual talent is very often diffused by (1) politics or (2) constant internal reorganizations or (3) by properties choosing to go after what makes money over the user experience. Of course each team is different, so your overall success and happiness will largely depend on who is leading the team and how innovative, forward-thinking and independent-minded they are. I was shuffled around to 4 different teams in my time at Yahoo, and I was lucky enough to have one manager in that time who was inspiring. Another was argumentative and hot-headed, another was completely uninterested in what I did for the company, and another was basically absent - in the year I reported to that person we only had one meeting together. All that said, I still like those people as people, and I enjoyed my time there. I did find it disheartening to put so much effort into a company that diffuses it by being a bit of a misguided mess.

What brings money is a great product. Working to increase page views is important, but never worth sacrificing the user experience. A few product managers at Yahoo were innovative and forward thinking - thinking about what makes the product better and more useful than the competition, and not just 'how do we increase the comscore numbers'. They are the ones that are leading successful products at Yahoo - the ones that we can say hey, Yahoo isn't *always* a laughable brand - look at what's happening over here. The best teams there were the ones with great leaders and those teams coveted that - they didnt want the rest of Yahoo politics and messiness to ruin what they had (think Flickr, Y! Music, Sports, etc). Yahoo needs more of that forward- and independent-thinking leadership.

swe

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Good technologies used, lot of learning

Cons

no personal time, Lot of work

From bad to worse - and it is still not over!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, benefits. The company is still dealing in one of the best technologies. Good brand recognition still. Lot of platforms and opportunities within.

Cons

The list is long! Here are a few,

- Subjective performance evaluation - heavily dependent on the manager. If you have a good relationship with your manager, you are in for a ride in Yahoo. If you don't have a high position mentor and protector, your goodness will fade away. And of course, that too is subjective because you never know when that person is out of favor with his/her higher level
    - Too many platforms. No clear strategy as to what the company wants to do. Platforms are bought, built and then scrapped because someone has convinced the management to build/buy another one. In my tenure, I saw as many as 7-8 platforms for the ad business. If you are not part of the next "in thing" in the company, you are screwed!
    - Leaders more interested in building empires than leading the team/department/company to become better. Too many layers of managers. At one point, I counted 7 layers from CEO. Too much bureaucracy that it demotivates employees
    - The new crop of managers/leaders is no better. As new leaders/managers join, they bring their own favorites with them. Yahoo is going overboard to pay them higher than the industry and giving them enough power for the first 6 months. That is enough to lose some of the earlier talent from the company. The newcomers are challenging the norm, which is good, but are doing ruthlessly

Amazing potential

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Limitless resources, huge impact if you can get your product in front of the audience. Also, really smart people, and a lot of them.

Cons

Hard to get the resources, company is fighting a rear-guard action to keep users, internal tools and systems are scattered.

Try to break down barriers between major groups. Mix the teams.

great benefits but not great working experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as free food and free smartphone/plan. Would recommend to friends solely on benefits only.

Cons

* Stack ranking hurts moral
    * Engineering at L2/L3 level lack innovation and focus on ROI in $$$
    * Tech leaders lack innovation
    * Weak product management team that does not work well with sales team to create/update products that make more money.
    * Engineering management dictates product development, wasting resource on re-writes and tech updates that yield no ROI - worse, they require drop focus on making current product better (fix bugs and add new features). So, every couple of years, we have new products that has no new ROI features but with new bugs, while existing software continue to be barely usable. The cycle starts again and again.

Stop wasting resource on solely on tech updates and re-writes.

Company in the middle of a turnaround

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is very nurturing and collaborative. Jerks are not tolerated. People with initiative can easily secure more responsibility within Yahoo.

Cons

Far too many managers. Lack of long-term view. The hierarchy is crippling. There is also a move towards more command and control style management of late. A lot of committees and central governance.

Hire better engineers.

I'll always be a Yahoo

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I owe much of my experience and success to Yahoo after working there for over a decade. Talented people, awesome brand, fun culture, endless new challenges...it's a great place to work.

Cons

Constant change in focus and leadership. Frequent fear of layoffs.

Great company

Former Employee - Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture and the upper management was great!

Cons

The leadership is fantastic and the we were always encouraged to take the training classes

Stay great!

Excellent work life balance with hard work complimented by good company events and great on-site perks.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yahoo! is supportive of employee development and growth as they conduct training and learning sessions for those interested in other aspects of the company. This is especially important for a tech company where their ability to stay current with changing technology depends on the growth of ideas and creativity. The company events, team outings, on-site perks such as gym with a sauna at corporate and plenty of java with a full service barista the warm inviting environment of Yahoo! is difficult to beat.

Cons

Due rapid globalization not all of Yahoo!'s processes and code are written with scalability in mind. This presents challenges when trying to optimize workflow or enhance the global schematics, but also turns out to be an opportunity for improvement.

Management could benefit by removing the perception of many layers in the company by doing 1:1 meetings with managers +1 so employees feel more engaged with the big picture.

This is the place to be !!!!

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome !!! right from the time you get the offer (with the yodle playing as soon as you open the offer) , to the time you are onboarded and to the time you start contributing - time flies . This is the place to be if you want to be part of the fun loving culture. Awesome benefits - specifically FREE gourmet food .. and Verve coffee :)

Cons

Overall the churn in the past has left a bad taste - its like once someone slaps you its hard to believe that you wont be slapped again, though Marissa has done a great job changing perceptions ...

Keep up the good work, keep putting more effort into attracting the best talent and generating revenue !!! We are with you.