Yahoo

3.6
1,904 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Lot of smart people to work with, too good in using latest technologies (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 34 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be good, but lost identity

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Challenging technical problems, scale, good benefits

Cons

Top management did not have any clear vision and suffers (still) from identity crisis. Business is split between Google and Facebook.

Focus on the products and think out of the box. Stop spreading too thin.

finance

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

good perks and great campus

Cons

you need to always agree with the inner circle

rethink the forced ranking

Better experience Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good technologies to learn and grow technically
    - no limits for taking ownership and learning
    -Recently launched many mobile apps so lot of opportunities for mobile developers
    - Free food and mobile phones
    -Casual work culture

Cons

- Multiple layers of managers
    -Some managers don't do anything and atleast one layer is sitting there as couch potatoes with large paycheques
    -Quarterly performance reviews and annual performance review might be stressful sometimes and leads to politics since there are % to be filled in buckets.
    - compensation package for base salaries is not as per tech giant bay area standards

Get rid of QPR and have half yearly reviews instead of every quarter
    Please remove the mid level managers who don't do anything and just report to their seniors

Has been satisfying

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free food, nice campus

Cons

morale doesn't exist and those not in upper levels are thought of less and compensated less

consider making all employees equally thought of

software engineer

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

very good environment and hard working people

Cons

slow process as all big companies have

High hopes, disappointing internship experience

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic employee culture! Most people here are happy to be here. They should be. The work environment is relaxed and fun. The managers are rarely overbearing or negative. The company seems to genuinely care about the positive work experience enjoyed by its employees.

Cons

1. I was assigned to a project that management knew I would dislike. Several managers, including the one who assigned the project, made it quite clear that they felt sorry for the two interns who got "stuck" with this project. It "just needed to be done" and the interns were considered cheap temporary labor. Even though we were both graduate students, the project was nearly all repetitive and not developmental at all. It involved very little interaction with any Yahoo employees, so any time we spent interacting with employees detracted from our job.

2. Throughout the summer, it was made very clear that the interns graduating the following year (including me) would receive offers. We were encouraged (though not helped) to meet with managers throughout the department to find roles that we would like to work in when we were brought on full time. We were put through a series of interviews late in the summer to identify good fits with different divisions in the department. Then on the very last day of the internship, we were informed that the recruiting budget would be used for "experienced hires" instead of "campus hires" this year, so the interns would not receive offers.

3. They say the are the world's largest startup, and they act like it. Processes change weekly. They are missing many of the basic things expected of large established companies, like job descriptions and basic information on how the business works. People work on their own projects with no regard for how they affect processes and work in other offices or departments. Managers spend no time coordinating across projects because they are all expected to work on projects themselves.

1. Employees deserve honesty and predictability. This includes interns. Make sure managers are acting with integrity and communicating openly all the time.

2. Find a business strategy. You're not Google, so stop trying to emulate them. The strategy can't be "have engineers who make internet stuff" - who is your market and what do they want from you. Your customers can't only be advertisers.

Free food & excellent benefits, poor management and unfair reviews

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Free food
    * Above average compensation (but yearly increase % is minuscule), stock options, employee stock purchase plan, etc.
    * Free mobile phone
    * Commuters/gym benefits, etc.
    * Incredible technology stack (both software and hardware) to play with.

Cons

* Poor management, for instance, you have non-technical and/or inexperienced managers leading teams of engineers. Middle managements block the flow of information from the top. Progress reports only go one way -- from the bottom to the top. You never know what your managers are doing.
    * Zero opportunity for promotion and recognition unless you suck up to the manager and he gives you a nice QPR rating. It doesn't matter how talented you are and what you contributed to the team. As long as you are a smooth talker and can kiss the manager's rear end, you're in good shape.
    * QPR leads to favoritism and low moral. Team mates are now competing against each other instead of collaborating and sharing ideas.
    * Repetitive weekly status update meetings. I thought Marissa told the entire org no status update meetings. You spend more time preparing for meetings than actually doing your work.
    * Low pay % increases - don't expect to get a salary increase for the hard work done.
    * Despite efforts to improve execution, decision making is still as slow as a crawling turtle.

* Get rid of all the useless meetings
    * Get rid of the stack ranking system and do REAL performance reviews based on the quality of the work done and contribution to the org.
    * Allow individual contributors to anonymously rate their managers, either a pass or fail grade. If the manager fails, he gets demoted and the senior management must take action to find a suitable person that fits the role.

I was expecting more

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Awesome coworkers, Free food & Great Location

Cons

Poor management
    Quarterly performance reviews
    Bad processes that take a long time to improve

Listen to your employees more

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Smart people,
    new technology,
    interesting projects
    keep-improving products.

Cons

Lack of investment in employees personal growth. Increasing turnover rate.

Disorganized, Hope It's Better Now

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Great food
    Great compensation
    General sense of excitement

Cons

Very political
    Bureaucratic, micromanaged work