Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,798 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 153 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 137 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 32 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Great atmosphere, pretty good pay, and lots of perks for the employees.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training available and time off. The vacation policy is very generous, and sick time even more so. Great work-life balance. Definitely depends on who you support, but I've had a great experience at Yahoo.

Cons

they have a quarterly review process that is time consuming and stressful, and they aren't good a giving out merit stock to anyone lower than Director level.

Fantastic work culture and dedicated employees.

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Yahoo is a great place to work. The people are energetic and dedicated. Marissa is a great leader and is taking the company in the right direction.

As an intern, I got to work on code that touches hundreds of millions of people daily. I was given real responsibilities and treated like a full-time employee. My co-workers were very friendly and supportive.

Perks: great compensation and benefits, free meals everyday, unlimited made-to-order coffee. There are a bunch of fun events to which employees can bring their friends and family. Plenty of foosball tables everywhere so you can take a break and have fun with your peers during the workday. Work hours are flexible.

Overall, it was a solid internship experience. You get to learn a lot and meet a bunch of cool people; there's always something happening on campus.

Cons

None that I can think of... except that this year's intern program didn't have more fun events like previous years' intern programs did.

One year here, things are improving

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is moving in a direction that is shedding the mediocrity and poor leadership of it's past. There's a culture of success, in that slowly but surely people are focused on meeting and exceeding goals. While there's a ton of change that in all honesty can sometimes get in the way, it's a helpful dynamic for people that want to feel an urgency towards accomplishing goals from more than just themselves.

There is a culture of flexibility paired with success. The stories a couple years ago about "no work from home" are relatively unfounded. If you expect to work from home most of the time, yeah...Yahoo is probably not the company for you. But if you need flexibility, even with some regularity, it's never been an issue provided you're meeting goals, 100% available, and not abusing the privilege.

Finally, this may be a little "micro" in terms of point of view, but wanted to share something I was VERY pleasantly surprised by. Recently, a strategic decision was made to eliminate the team I was on. That said, this did not mean firing everyone on the team", rather they kept us all and folded us into the larger organization for which we were a part. In some cases even giving people (myself included) the opportunity to transfer to other teams where there was interest and a mutual fit. I'm not sure how often that happens, but I was surprised that that is how the situation was dealt with.

Cons

On the downside, constant change has sometimes meant losing focus on the reason for decisions (i.e. as they filter down to the people in the trenches). I think this speaks more towards a need for better communication from all levels of leadership than it does on poor execution.

The New York offices are scattered throughout the city, which will change at the end of this year when we're all moved into the new offices, but for the time being there's a sense of isolation.

We're behind in terms of some of our ad tech offerings (though catching up), so unless you can use that as a source of motivation (I hate losing, so it motivates me) you might be deterred.

Great Experience with nice and talent people!!!

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Champaign, IL

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Yahoo! has great working and learning environment, and people there are very friendly, talented and willing to help.

Cons

Sometimes, the tasks assigned to me are not very challenging.

My manager is nice, patient and knowledgeable. He always offers me the opportunities that can help me improve and grow.

A complete turnaround company, under Marissa

Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Mobile and Emerging Products (MEP) org is the best org anywhere in Silicon Valley to work for. They make apps that have own Apple Design Awards (Weather, News Digest) as well as have millions of DAUs
    - Marisa is a phenomenal leader and has assembled a great team
    - Perks and Salary are at par with the top companies, barring May be Google etc
    - Top talent of engineers assembled under one roof

Cons

- Too much difference is talent between orgs. Some people you meet will be really subpar, while others are really good.
    - if you are not in MEP, you are not that good.
    - Hiring and promos are very random and people are not calibrated well against each level. HR is messed up.

Keeps you on your toes

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, fun environment, and good place to start

Cons

Internal job transfers are tough to follow up with

good experience

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

open culture, opportunity to grow

Cons

upper management incompetent, too many vp/senior director

Politics are heavy

I worked at Yahoo full-time

Pros

Free food, free drinks, good exposure

Cons

Everything is based on politics; those who get chummy with the people at the top get promoted while those at the bottom never see the light

There needs to be more restructuring within the company in terms of who is leading each team; VPs should really think about growing the business from the bottom up instead of hiring their friends.

This is where despair dies

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand. One of the best
    Great workplace. Amenities are world class
    Great food and benefits
    Smart people to collaborate with

Cons

Upper management stink.
    The place is a revolving door. Upper mgmt fire people to cover themselves
    More political than DC. The best decision is not always the one that prevail

Look at the mirror, you'll find the problem

Great place - ruined by middle layer management (with heavy Bureaucracy)

Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer) in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer) in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Decent salary
    - Great place
    - Great culture
    - Good talents
    - Top and leading industry tech stack
    - Cutting edge technology

Cons

- Upper & middle layer management sucks
    - Salary and process
    - Career growth

Just don't acquire and do nothing - pls do something!