Yahoo Reviews

3.6
1,795 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 153 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 137 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 32 reviews)

• Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Collaborative, Best Practices, Micro Managing

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment, many Best Practices in place to learn from, annual stock grants are fair,

Cons

Ship has gotten so big its hard to turn/change/improve, micro management by executives on travel, spend and hiring decisions creates a massive bottleneck and stagnates what improvements can be made, annual increases are very low on average, executives ultimately control comp and can trump direct submissions for personal reasons if desired

find a new revenue stream, rotate long time executives to facilitate change, generate some spark, and open closed doors

Good pay and perks, morale is rising after Marissa

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Yahoo! Is back again a cool place to work after Marissa's leadership. Great people are being hired, and some people that needed to go in order for the company to move forward are being asked to leave.

For engineers, there's lots of resources, huge scale and crazy problems to work on.

Cons

Being an old company (for tech standards), there's a lot of legacy and old processes that still drag teams to move faster.

Some people in leadership position still hold old views about how to develop software.

Be more like start ups and try to avoid the overwhelming size and bureaucracy. That's crucial for the continual survival.

Times of great changes

Current Employee - Tech Intern III in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Intern III in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, good compensation, challenging projects, a lot of entertaining events, building community among employees , undergoes exciting and hopefully beneficial changes

Cons

unclear infrastructure, too many meetings

make the infrastructure more transparent, less meetings (can stand-ups be every OTHER day? )

Interactive Designer

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Yahoo for 5 years. Great Company, Great Benefits, I felt that all of the people and teams that I worked with embraced change. If I wanted to try something new I felt that people were very accepting which was a huge plus for me. I made a lot of great friends here.

Cons

My work-life balance started to diminish at the end of my time at Yahoo which eventually led me to leave and explore new avenues. I was working an average of 60 hours a week towards the end. Working Fridays and one or two days on the weekend started to become regular. This isn't the norm for most teams at Yahoo. I was just one of the unlucky few. I would still recommend this company to a friend.

People do their best over there. Its a great place to work. Everyone I have worked under has been more than fair with me.

A great company to work for, up and coming in the mobile design department.

Current Employee - Yahoo Mobile Photo Editor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Yahoo Mobile Photo Editor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great manager and team, free food, free gym, free shuttle, free work computer, fun events, new projects on mobile front

Cons

Currently a contractor, do not receive full benefits.

Great to work with Yahoo

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, Learning, Peers, Values, Perks

Cons

Leadership, uncertanity, Office culture, work-life balance

Byzantine, multi-layered structure that kills innovation

Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary and benefits
    Location
    Free food
    (I truly can't come up with anything else!)

Cons

Bizarrely layered structure for the simplest of tasks
    Multiple people holding similar job titles so it's impossible to figure out who's in charge of what
    Truly awful people in the Santa Monica office - everyone seemed to hate their job

I worked there a few years ago so under Marissa Mayer things may now be different. I hope so.

great people and poor management

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

The employees were amazing people that I hope to work with again. I gained a lot of knowledge in this postion.

Cons

Poor management and disconnects within departments

Associate

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

great experience to learn about the business. Has a lot of potential to grow and was a great opportunity. I would recommend this company

Cons

Compensation was not as good as I beleived it would be. I wanted a lot more than they offered. However experience is worth more than money.

Leadership lacking leadership

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good and pay/benefits are very good. I don't think the compensation will be sustainable, though, as the ratio of revenue to employee is poor relative to competitors and revenue has been flatlining.

Cons

The leadership is very smart but inexperienced and it shows in a number of poor decisions. The CEO has lots of product smarts but lacks experience running a company and has made poor hiring decisions including the costly selection of a COO. HR leadership appointment was made to someone with no HR experience which led to very poor HR policies and programs including discontinuation of work from home option... and quarterly forced ranking performance reviews. Marketing leadership, though bright, is out of touch and not inclined to listen to employees. This has led to poor, myopic decisions such as taking a classic, dynamic, and unique logo and turning into something quite bland.

Allow employees to speak more freely without any recourse and listen to them. We've lost a lot of talent to other Silicon Valley firms but there are still employees with good ideas and sound judgment. Hire more leaders who have good people skills and show compassion for their employees.