Yahoo

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

705 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

On the Rebound

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat environment, awesome people, great CEO, comeback story, independent projects, fun experience. Would definitely recommend this to anybody who has the skills, passion, and opportunity to take this.

Conslong commute, big company. That's about it though, everything else was a great experience so I don't think there is anything else that i would say is "bad"

Great people, nice atmosphere, good balance of working hard and having a life.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

ProsProud of the brand, great group of people, planned out time lines so projects got the attention they needed. nice campus and working environment. Good selection of food in cafeteria.

ConsRan into problems with projects with low budgets and lack of internal resources to complete big approved projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood production in marketing takes money, i'm not saying huge budgets but enough to make it look great or good. I didn't get the feeling it was that high of a priority at Yahoo. I was there pre Marissa, But I'm sure its better now with Marissa. Would've been happy to work for her.

Can Yahoo be great again? Maybe ... but it will take a long time to find out

I have been working at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

ProsStill have passionate and talented people. Reinvigoration under MM is inspiring. Cool projects in the works. Finding the path back to being a true engineering company (from becoming a media company). Four stars for new direction and new management. Three stars for where they are today.

ConsThe memory of Yahoo as a great company is distant -- and the path to getting back to greatness is long. Lots of good initiative but turnover and the inability to attract the very very best is a hangup that will make getting there longer than it should (if they can). Some amazing projects and developments (like Pipes) don't seem to get the attention love and traction they deserve. Don't let Yahoo be a place where cool projects die!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing

Technical Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe working environment is great, a lot of cooperative and friendly people. It's easily possible to maintain a healthy work/life balance, and there are lots of great amenities at the main campus to help that balance along.

ConsIt isn't always easy to get the resources you need, and priorities are eternally changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up the Google-like HR practices, they are elitist and ineffective.

Click here to work in an open and friendly environment

Metrics & Reporting Analyst IV (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are nice to help those starting out at Yahoo! They have all the work resources you need to perform on the job.

ConsMy job was project based only so no permanent positions were open.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider converting temporary staff who can contribute to the company's growth and bottom line.

Anonymous

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTremendous improvements in Branding! Great Food, perks & opportunities for innovation. Recognition for your hard-work will depend on which group you are in and the leader of that group.

ConsIn some groups there is no work-life balance! Aggressive schedule of the projects stresses out every one and quality of the product is compromised at times, to meet deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing but pay close attention to the quality of the products while delivering projects as per aggressive schedule

Moving in many directions

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Dynamic company with lots of good engineers
-Company offers lots of perks, free food, free coffee, free smart phone.
-Free Shuttle transportation to San Francisco

Cons-Lack of focus.
-Out of control Quarterly review process.
-Lack of employee development opportunities.
-Out of date proprietary deployment tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit your quarterly review process.

Great company, but messy...

Senior Business Development Director (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros- Lots of great colleagues! In general a positive vibe!
- Opportunity to be exposed to a wide range of topics and areas (Yahoo is active across multiple platforms, countries, media properties etc etc).. Great learning!!
- Compensation is good

Cons- inexperienced CEO and frequent leadership/ organizational changes...creates very messy cycles and a lot of opacity around priorities..
- Despite the positive buzz, people are tired and Yahoo has not come up with anything substantially innovative that will grow revenue... yes, traffic is up..but in areas hard to monetize.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate and communicate a clearer strategy..

Network that last a lifetime

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI really enjoyed working for Yahoo for almost 4 years. My job was to bring in the best possible talent and to make the process as simple as possible for my hiring managers. the staffing team is awesome and they work very hard to produce results quickly. Yahoo is a great place to build long lasting relationships.

ConsManagement should not contact their employees around the clock expecting emails to be answered.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employee has work life balance or they will likely suffer fatigue. I had several great managers when I worked for at Y! Apart of me will always bleed purple!

Rocking co-workers

Paranoid (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo for more than 5 years

Prosbenefits are great along with very relaxed working environment,

ConsSometime you meet people who cn be defined as 'burned-out'

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer. All 705 reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees.