Yahoo Reviews in San Jose, CA

3.6
1,749 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

758 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place - ruined by middle layer management (with heavy Bureaucracy)

Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer)  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo (Principal Engineer) in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Decent salary
    - Great place
    - Great culture
    - Good talents
    - Top and leading industry tech stack
    - Cutting edge technology

Cons

- Upper & middle layer management sucks
    - Salary and process
    - Career growth

Just don't acquire and do nothing - pls do something!

A complete turnaround company, under Marissa

Former Employee - Director of Product Management  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Mobile and Emerging Products (MEP) org is the best org anywhere in Silicon Valley to work for. They make apps that have own Apple Design Awards (Weather, News Digest) as well as have millions of DAUs
    - Marisa is a phenomenal leader and has assembled a great team
    - Perks and Salary are at par with the top companies, barring May be Google etc
    - Top talent of engineers assembled under one roof

Cons

- Too much difference is talent between orgs. Some people you meet will be really subpar, while others are really good.
    - if you are not in MEP, you are not that good.
    - Hiring and promos are very random and people are not calibrated well against each level. HR is messed up.

good experience

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

open culture, opportunity to grow

Cons

upper management incompetent, too many vp/senior director

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to be!

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Yahoo is an amazing community filled with highly technical, passionate and kind people. Yahoos are really open and the company is focused on improving the products already released and creating new products that users will enjoy. The environment is great for any age and the community vibe gives it the feel on an extension of college. If you thought college was the best time of your life, you will love Yahoo. It's fast paced, the people are great and there is so much to learn and do on campus. You can find great opportunities anywhere.

There are some reviews on here which state something about a bell curve review system where every employee has to fit a position in the bell curve and if you are at the bottom of the bell curve for 3 quarters in a row you get fired... *sigh*, it is complete bull. I wish I hadn't believed it because it stressed me out a little bit when I started, but I asked my manager about it and he just laughed. There were some rounds on layoffs a couple years back when MM took control. There was a rating system in place but basically it was people who weren't trying and who were not committing any code who were laid off/fired. If you go in every day, work with your team, enjoy the fun things at Yahoo and get things done no one will want to get rid of you.

I also heard that if you keep getting the highest ratings in your quarterly reviews that they promote you and give you raises and more responsibility to make sure you are challenged. It isn't about waiting for a spot to come available, it's about making sure that you as a person develop, not just the company. I LOVE that!

You also get long term disability insurance for free. This is a highly valuable perk!! I had a friend who injured himself scuba diving and is now paralyzed from the neck down. His company didn't provide LTD insurance and he had to ask his friends and family for money to help support his family and pay medical bills. It was heartbreaking to watch someone so vibrant do something they were embarrassed about while losing the use of 90% of their body. Most companies only give you short term for free. If the same accident happened to me I would get half of my salary from Yahoo until I was 65 and Yahoo would also take care of my medical bills. I am sure you could pay extra to increase the percentage to something like 80%, I'm thinking about it. I like to scuba dive.

Craziest perk: In building C there's a refrigerator next to the gym entrance filled with flowers. If you're going home late or it's your wife's birthday you can grab some *nice* bouquets of flowers to take home. Free of course. :)

Cons

There's the whole "Work from home" thing that was a big deal to a lot of people, but I agree with the policy. I'd rather be on campus collaborating. You *can* work from home, but you need a reason such as doctor's appt, or DMV appt, plumber coming etc. But wouldn't you just rather be on campus for the free food?

One point I will mention is that I had cheaper healthcare at my former company which was a lot smaller. There are about 5 policies to choose from. I used to get brand name meds for $10, now they're $30. It's still a great price compared to Obamacare and sure, I get paid a lot, but I was expecting a little bit better from Yahoo.

Cheaper healthcare? :)

Excellent Place to work for

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Scale at yahoo is the biggest reason you would like to be a part of it. Everything you do here has tremendous amount of scale which is hard to find.

Cons

Yahoo is still inits turn around phase. Lack of strong products.

Personal growth is the area where I feel Yahoo needs to improve.

#1 Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

Pros

After being with Yahoo for almost a year now, I can confidently say that I can't imagine a better company to work for. I don't even know where to start...every meal of the day is free along with snacks available all day, free coffee bar all day in every building, top of the line benefits package, very competitive salaries and bonuses, you work with some of the brightest people in the world, executive management is very transparent with the entire company all the way down to interns, Marissa is in my opinion the best CEO out there right now, and the overall culture and work-life balance is perfect. Yahoo is on a roll lately and once again a cool place to work for - it's such an exciting time to work for this company!

Cons

Over the past 10 years Yahoo kind of fell behind and their public image was an "old, big internet company," but it's so exciting to see Yahoo on the rise and more and more people are coming back to Yahoo from companies like Google, Facebook, and Amazon.

Keep up the amazing work! Yahoo is on track to be the #1 best place to work, if it isn't already!

Mostly a great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great perks! Also a creative environment where you can express yourself, but I hear this depends on your team. Most of the management was easy to work with. Their on boarding process was also well organized.

Cons

There were many times where goals were not clearly identified by upper management; many work hours spent spinning our wheels. There was a clear lack of communication between the channels.

Make open communication a priority within your team as well as down the management line.

Graduate technical summer intern

Current Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as an intern

Pros

-Nice work culture
    -Outstanding employee care
    -Dynamic work environment

Cons

-Not very new technologies used in legacy products

working experience in Yahoo inc

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are very good. I personally like the culture that people working as a group with high efficiency and clear goals.

Cons

Working load is heavy. Sometimes I need to work on the weekends.

Great Daily Habits company

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong in aspiration in Mobile, Video and Search.

Cons

Need to cut more non-core properties.

Make organization structure more flat like a start-up.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!