Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital

3.3
Russ Myers
1 Rating

1. Great place to work!

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The on-boarding process was great. They did a good job at explaining the vision of the organization and their core values. Being a non-profit hospital, the benefits were more than adequate.

Cons

Little opportunities for advancement or development. Middle management had a hard time dealing with problematic employees. They were very strict on clocking-in and out and only taking 30 min for lunch.

2. Bad Management

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Licensed Pharmacy Technician, Really good learning experience, your taught a lot different thing in a lot of different areas of pharmacy inpatient and outpatient

Cons

Wages are extremely low for the amount of work expected from you, but they have no trouble coming up with the budget to remodel the entire hospital the technician working at a retail pharmacy made $2.00 more per hour

Advice to Management

Pay your employee's for the amount of work they do and appreciate what they do you might have more loyal employee's none of the techs were happy big turn over

3. Excruciating & Dismal!

Former Employee - Manager in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Community Hospital that appeared to have a good reputation. Cafe food is great! Good on-site child care. Nice and updated facility.

Cons

No teamwork! Middle management was truly caught in the middle!! No support from Administration. Constantly belittled by VP. From the outside it looks like a great place to work, but don't be fooled! Healthcare nationally is in a CRISES and Memorial is not responding well. CEO needed to retire 5 years ago. Staff just put in their time and leave. No heart and sole.

Advice to Management

Walk the Talk!! Get rid of "Into the Blue"!!

5. I always feel appreciated, they are quick to reward excellence, I love it here!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital

Pros

Great benefits, Wonderful managment that are always available to listen and work with you so well because they understand we have families and lives outside of our jobs. They are great with rewarding hard work, and when necessary they are very compassionate and helpful in guiding you to become a better employee rather than "punishment" . The technology is rapidly growing and making Memorial a better and safer place to work and be taken care of!

Cons

The employees here do like it (as do I), so that causes very little turn over it seems. This means that there is not a lot of opportunity for advancement unfortunatly.

6. The Jury is Out

Current Employee - Scheduler in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital

Pros

This is a hospital that encourages all employees to speak up to avoid medical mistakes. The hospital works well with the community and looks to expand the services for our community. "Free" health insurance for you, but with a catch.

Cons

The maximum raise is 3% if you are an administrative assistant. Therefore, in ten years, you would be making the same amount. No paid vacation the first year for the secretarial pool, even if you have lots of experience. You get "free health care" but you pay $300 to $500 month to add your children or family, so if you are on a secretaries salary, you can't afford to cover your family.

Advice to Management

"Into the Blue" is a little off. I am suspect of the motives for implementing this program for employees and am suspect of the cherry picked statistics the founder uses to prove his program works.

7. quality care by aring people

Current Employee - Switchboard Operator in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Switchboard Operator in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital

Pros

it provides a quality service to every segment of th population. The employees are all caring individuals and like to help others. The benefits are excellent. The facilities are first rate. The majority of the staff work together well and are proud (as am I) to be associated with this hospital.

Cons

Management does not always walk the talk. Employees are encouraged to think outside the box, but when they do, they often run into managerial roadblocks or discouragement. Employees are encouraged to not be afraid of disagreeing with management, but I have seen individuals who do get "encouraged" to leave.

Advice to Management

Don't depend on department heads to find out what is happening at the hospital. Talk to various line people with out their managers present

8. good learning experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital

Pros

12 hour shift, 6 days on and 8 days off

Cons

depressed city - high crime rate

Advice to Management

9. Memorial allows me to excel at what I do best and offers educational opportunities where I need help.

Current Employee - Insurance Biller
    Current Employee - Insurance Biller

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital

Pros

Management is very positive, and encourages you to be the best employee you can be. I have been offered various classes to prepare me for taks I am taking on and it is always assumed that an employee just lacks training if they are not performing their job correctly and they are given opportunities to train and grow.

Cons

The parking is a challenge, there are so many employees on shifts having ot park. Computer training should be ongoing as there are always issues, and the current software is not being utilized to its fullest because more training is needed. We also need to get some better prescription program, prices are high and it takes to long to get the refills.

Advice to Management

Administration execs should visit the outlying clinics more often.

RSS Feed </> Embed