Yale University

Yale University Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Yale University President Peter Salovey

Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits and vacation time(in 21 reviews)

• The pay is great, the community is healthy, and the University truly cares about it's employees(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The city of new Haven is not the best place to live in but a great place to have fun(in 6 reviews)

• Depending on the laboratory, the work environment was sometimes less than optimal(in 6 reviews)

Posgraduate Associate experience

Postgraduate Associate (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsVery good place for learning and development. Collaborative environment and great opportunities to explore ideas and do research.

ConsNo opportunities to grow and university policies are more important than working environment circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts intriguing that they give more importance to the opinions of previous employer that that of the current employer at Yale.

Brings back fond memories

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsWork independently
    Very friendly coworkers
    Learn and explore new technologies and processes

ConsScheduling meetings with coworkers can be challenging because everyone is busy, not really a con, just a challenge.

Wonderful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge community, room for growth, lots of interaction between departments, people are genuinely excited about their work, great life-work balance, amazing healthcare plan.

ConsNo real cons, if you are here on a temporary assignment it may be difficult to break into the full Yale community, but it's a great place to grow if you're in for long term.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

benefits, great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe excellent benefits make you want to stay

Consthe organization is so large, you feel like a small cog.

Good learning experience

APRN (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsBusy hospital, diverse population

ConsFluctuating hours are a bit challenging

It's an honor to be employed by one of the most prestigious educational in intuitions in the world.

ProsThe work is interesting and can be challenging if you want it to be. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and ample training to assist one in getting ahead. Flexible work situations can be found to accommodate working parents, caregivers, and commuters.
    The use of public transportation is encouraged and supported with free emergency rides and 3 free parking passes a month.
    The community offers an array of interesting activities including lectures, museums, concerts, and great people.

ConsManagerial staff has been required to take on the largest burden of cost savings over the last five years with minimal raises, decreased benefits and increased workloads.

Best place to work as a student, but lots of bureaucracy

Level III Student Employee (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsThe base pay for student and grad student work is hard to rival, and makes it impossible to think about ever working for less. Payment is easy, a lot of the schools employing processees are really transparent.

ConsFilling positions here takes forever, I would have taken another job at the company but the employment process dragged on longer than I could afford to wait.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to find a way to hire and retain talented graduates

One good experience one bad.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsOpportunity to grow, great Insurance.

ConsManagers who behave badly at the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like humans and fair.

Graduate Student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTop-notch accessible faculty, excellent research environment. A very positive experience overall in pursuing my PhD. Highly recommended.

ConsNew Haven location is all right, but occasionally a little sketchy at night. Sometimes funding is a little hard to come by; everyone seems to spend too much time obtaining grants.

Advice to Senior ManagementTenure system sometimes leads to pettiness and bad behavior from lower-quality professors.

Good place to do research!

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsIt is a good place to go and do nice research work there. The ambient of discussion is quite open and there are many great seminar every week.

ConsYale University supplies very good training and teaching experience to the students and postdoctors. The coverage of Yale health plan is really wonderful.

Worked for Yale University? Contribute to the Community!