Yale University Reviews in Connecticut

Updated August 22, 2014

4.3

Yale University President Peter Salovey
Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits and vacation time (in 21 reviews)

• The pay is great, the community is healthy, and the University truly cares about it's employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The city of new Haven is not the best place to live in but a great place to have fun (in 6 reviews)

• Depending on the laboratory, the work environment was sometimes less than optimal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

172 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Associate Research Scientist: Interesting work and great benefits

Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I think the benefits (retirement plans, health care, etc.) are excellent. I pay only $20/mo for health care for my family and myself. Yale has very good matching for their 403b retirement plan - take advantage of it - it's free money! When I had children I was given what I considered sufficient time off work. I also enjoy my work, it's interesting. And I work with excellent, intelligent people. There's always something happening at Yale (talks, music, theater) and lots of good eating places nearby.

Cons

I can't think of any. I really love working at Yale.

Always encourage learning opportunities to train your staff whenever possible.

Campus Job

Former Employee - Media Intern  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Media Intern in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great flexibility with classes / evening schedules.

Cons

I don't think there was any.

Administrative Intern

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Norfolk, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, CT

I have been working at Yale University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly and nurturing working environment

Cons

Not very challenging work (which is understandable)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place for research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Yale has demonstrated her scientific excellence. I am please to be a member. Smart people are everywhere. It is very good in terms of personal growth.

Cons

There is very competitive research environment. You have to work off hours. Salary is way too low. People get promoted slow.

Yale should increase salary for post doc. Signling contract annually policy is not a good idea. They should prolong to 3 years.

Program Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Intellectually stimulating: the ideas and theories about health systems flowed freely.
    Schedule: spent most of the time in a 9-5 setting, with some very interesting travel.
    Interaction with students: the best and brightest continually inspired our office with their vivaciousness and critical thinking skills.
    Retirement: the 403(b) plan 5% match with a 5% bonus is a very good retirement package.
    Yale: the greater community is great! Lots of wonderful people to meet who possess a diversity of experiences and knowledge bar none.

Cons

Directors: The directors of the office where I worked were terrible. It was their way or the highway in terms of considering ideas and the way forward.
    Resistant to change: The group I work mainly duplicated efforts already existing in the private and public sector without much difference. This led to a lack of belief in the mission on my part.
    Favoritism: Directors conspicuously chose favorites, hailing their smallest feats as ground-breaking and actively criticizing the employees who they did not like.

1. Invest in outside training more. Define the employees' roles, and help them train for them.
    2. Respect equal opportunity and nurture ideas by all without reprisal or condemnation.
    3. Less talk, more walk.

Yale is a post doc factory...

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good reputation
    facilities and infrastructures

Cons

People occasionally talk with each other

Great People, Great University

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work life balance, excellent overall benefits package (health care coverage, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, etc.). The work/office culture largely depends on the specific department you work in.

Cons

Due to tradition and especially the sheer size of the university, the wheels of change (i.e. positive improvements) at Yale can move very slowly. This can be quite frustrating at times.

Be more open to flexible work schedules, and especially work from home options.

Research in Biomedical Engineering

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for young new students in research. Cutting edge research with fellow students from the undergraduate community. I learned how to culture cells, use different imaging microscopes, and improved my presenting skills.

Cons

Long hours for only experience. Sometimes your food is not secure in the shared fridge space. The office space is a little out of the way of you don't have a car. People are very driven and it is hard to get people to separate from their project and help you with your work if they can help.

Where you work defines your experience.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having the Yale brand on your resume is a terrific life-long asset. Generally the staff are very helpful. While my day -to-day life often felt isolated, I enjoyed my experiences with various student groups, seminars, etc. Also, the Graduate Career Resource Center is incredible. They invite top consulting firms, host resume workshops, dissertation boot camps, and invite guest speakers from inside and outside academia so you know all your options when you graduate. It's entirely up to you to get out there and make the most of your time at Yale.

Cons

As a graduate researcher, my day-to-day life felt very isolating. My once large and thriving lab shrunk considerably in size as people graduated and funding dried up. I found that un-tenured professors are usually very stressed out and can overwork their students. On the flip side, tenured professors are way too laid back and don't move fast enough on publications, grant proposals, etc. Choose your mentor wisely, and be sure to change mentors early on if things look like they're not working out.

Consider a rotation program for incoming graduate researchers. Let newcomers experience ~3 labs/mentors before they commit to one.

A great employer for people with families

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits were really good. There was also fantastic job security.

Cons

The School of Medicine is a terrible place to work. The work climate on central campus is much more pleasant. Huge difference from one side of campus to the other.

Worked for Yale University? Contribute to the Community!