Yale University

Updated December 6, 2014
4.1

Yale University President Peter Salovey
Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits for earlier hires, nice work environment, beautiful campus, high salaries (in 26 reviews)

• Great work-life balance at Yale (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • very competitive, not a great place for colaborations (in 6 reviews)

• There was not a lot of upward mobility, I had to hope someone would leave or retire in order to be advanced (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

195 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good but future direction uncertain

Current Employee - Faculty in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Faculty in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past, was a good workplace. Union and administration relations were cordial and there hadn't been a major strike in over ten years.

Cons

People are being laid off or retired and not replaced. Future direction is uncertain given that much of the union labor force is being outsourced (to centralized food production or to business workpools). Atmosphere is much chillier than in previous years.

Administration needs to seriously think about the future of the university. Cutting costs is not the way to building excellence. Morale has dropped precipitously in many sectors.

Imperative environment

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    Smart people

Cons

Not a stimulating environment. Most of the people are reclusive and do not talk.
    Many lab offer salary below NIH minimum scale as Yale has its own minimum (lower than NIH payscale)
    Majority of PIs are busy and do not care about your career

Please follow NIH minimum guideline for post doc salary.
    Do not exploit the foreign worker

Great place to work

Current Employee - EHS in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - EHS in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and the ability to network are the greatest aspects of working at the University. The wide range of job opportunities are also a positive.

Cons

The main challenge I found in working in the support field was the language barrier. Because the University is diverse, there are so many different languages.

Continue to provide the excellent management trainings

Review of Major Gifts Development, Yale University

Current Employee - Development Officer, Major Gifts in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Development Officer, Major Gifts in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team of major gifts officers is a good one (except 1 of 16 officers leaves approx every 6 months).
    Good work/life balance
    iPads
    Department is willing to train fundraisers and take persons from non-traditional careers.
    Office centrally located downtown next to the Green.

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other Ivies or the regional market.
    Promotion system is far from transparent - not directly related to results. Pay at various title levels equally opaque.
    If you are male, you will never hold a management position within this 250-person organization under its current leadership (accept it unfortunately).
    Entire development office works on intense systems of micromanagement

Management has created a system whereby the individual officers matter less, and the system of collecting information/data from donors matters more. Officers are more customer service representatives than fundraising professionals.

Rather than work on how to manage against the downsides of poor retention, it would be better to reward current employees and boost retention and lengthen donor relationships with individual donors (donors notice - they tell us when they get a new officer every 18 months). Focusing on retention will help you save money and boost morale. Retention is major gifts management's biggest challenge.

research scientist at Yale

Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefit, medical insurance, nice working environment,

Cons

low salary, tight working schedule

I've been working for Yale University for over twenty years.

Former Employee - Lab Tech in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've receive promotions. Benefits are superb. The people are awesome, because you are interacting with people from all around the world.

Cons

The challenges would be the injuries that occurred at Yale, which could have been prevented, which cause me to have to leave my last position. These injuries occurred because of the errors of others.

Communication is the key

Amazing opportunities, sufficient pay.

Former Employee - Postgraduate Research Associate in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Postgraduate Research Associate in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yale is the perfect place to start a scientific career. I had access to amazing mentors, and amazing resources: free shuttles, an incredible library, beautiful architecture, a fully outfitted makerspace/engineering lab, the list could go on forever.

Cons

It is my understanding that the compensation is less than at many other RA jobs, but then again so is the cost of living here in New Haven. Yale is just perpetuating the trend: pay academics as little as possible.

I had to go through a lot of bureaucratic hoops to get funding due to the centralization of the grants department. That made life for everyone difficult and was unnecessary. Yale has effectively infinite money and shouldn't be strangling PIs by micromanaging their resources.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Office Assistant in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for earlier hires, nice work environment, beautiful campus, high salaries. The co-workers were also great, but it, of course, varies by department.

Cons

The benefits were reduced for new hires in the last few years (although still good). I heard complaints about parking although I never ran into this problem since I lived within walking distance to my work. Few advancement opportunities for those at the top of the clerical and technical category.

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Student Worker in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Student Worker in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, pay is solid relative to work/life balance, opportunity to take classes, great culture of energy and intellectual stimulation

Cons

Opportunities to become senior management are limited but mobility is good elsewhere. New Haven is a small city though has most of what you need

Chill in the good and bad sense

Former Employee - Office of Sustainability Student Worker in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Office of Sustainability Student Worker in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are allowed to bill for the silliest things, work is generally fun, lots of outdoors time, cool team structure. Yale has a lot of resources and will give you access to them if you have an moderately difficult to implement but risk-free proposal for how to raise awareness or encourage recycling or whatever.

Cons

Little work gets done, bureaucracy crushes most attempts at real innovation, students managing students generally doesn't work, no opportunity for advancement or real quotable experience.

Assign clearer tasks and more rigorously oversee what we are doing. Choose fewer people and have them work more hours so they feel more invested and so that your reduce frictions of having more people that do less.