Yale University

Yale University Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Yale University President Peter Salovey

Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits and vacation time (in 21 reviews)

• The pay is great, the community is healthy, and the University truly cares about it's employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The city of new Haven is not the best place to live in but a great place to have fun (in 6 reviews)

• Depending on the laboratory, the work environment was sometimes less than optimal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People, Great University

IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsGood work life balance, excellent overall benefits package (health care coverage, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, etc.). The work/office culture largely depends on the specific department you work in.

ConsDue to tradition and especially the sheer size of the university, the wheels of change (i.e. positive improvements) at Yale can move very slowly. This can be quite frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to flexible work schedules, and especially work from home options.

Great experience working in a Yale research lab

ProsGreat work-life balance at Yale.

ConsCan't think of anything at least for now.

Loved the work, the pay was terrible

Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsThe benefits were great, matching funds for retirement fund, free entry into all Yale buildings, museums, libraries etc.
    It was very intellectually stimulating and challenging

ConsThe pay was terrible, as a woman I was treated differently than men and my salary showed it. You must pay for parking at approx $80/mo.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees of either gender equally. Pay maternity for all women.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sound science faculty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Science faculty. Innovative ideas taken to the next level. Good place to set yourself up for the next career stage

Consvery competitive, not a great place for colaborations

Wonderful Place to Work

ProsWorking here and being a part of this extraordinary university is reason enough. Salaries are decent, but benefits are even better.

ConsNew Haven itself is awful overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more work time flexibility.

Research in Biomedical Engineering

Research Assistant (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsGreat opportunities for young new students in research. Cutting edge research with fellow students from the undergraduate community. I learned how to culture cells, use different imaging microscopes, and improved my presenting skills.

ConsLong hours for only experience. Sometimes your food is not secure in the shared fridge space. The office space is a little out of the way of you don't have a car. People are very driven and it is hard to get people to separate from their project and help you with your work if they can help.

Where you work defines your experience.

Graduate Research Fellow (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsHaving the Yale brand on your resume is a terrific life-long asset. Generally the staff are very helpful. While my day -to-day life often felt isolated, I enjoyed my experiences with various student groups, seminars, etc. Also, the Graduate Career Resource Center is incredible. They invite top consulting firms, host resume workshops, dissertation boot camps, and invite guest speakers from inside and outside academia so you know all your options when you graduate. It's entirely up to you to get out there and make the most of your time at Yale.

ConsAs a graduate researcher, my day-to-day life felt very isolating. My once large and thriving lab shrunk considerably in size as people graduated and funding dried up. I found that un-tenured professors are usually very stressed out and can overwork their students. On the flip side, tenured professors are way too laid back and don't move fast enough on publications, grant proposals, etc. Choose your mentor wisely, and be sure to change mentors early on if things look like they're not working out.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a rotation program for incoming graduate researchers. Let newcomers experience ~3 labs/mentors before they commit to one.

A great employer for people with families

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsThe benefits were really good. There was also fantastic job security.

ConsThe School of Medicine is a terrible place to work. The work climate on central campus is much more pleasant. Huge difference from one side of campus to the other.

Post Doc Position

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsGreat Location, Don't need to have a car

ConsIt;s a post doc position

Posgraduate Associate experience

Postgraduate Associate (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsVery good place for learning and development. Collaborative environment and great opportunities to explore ideas and do research.

ConsNo opportunities to grow and university policies are more important than working environment circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts intriguing that they give more importance to the opinions of previous employer that that of the current employer at Yale.

Worked for Yale University? Contribute to the Community!