Yale University Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
4.2

Yale University President Peter Salovey
Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits for earlier hires, nice work environment, beautiful campus, high salaries (in 24 reviews)

• Great work-life balance at Yale (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • very competitive, not a great place for colaborations (in 6 reviews)

• There was not a lot of upward mobility, I had to hope someone would leave or retire in order to be advanced (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Student Worker

I have been working at Yale University part-time

Pros

Great people, wonderful environment to work at.

Cons

Weather is terrible. New Haven is iffy.

Stable, Decent Job

Current Employee - Research Assistant I in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant I in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, union, health care, 403b, 2 weeks paid vacation each year, 12 sick days, paid between Christmas and new years. They are decently flexible with time. It will always look great on your resume to be hired by Yale.

Cons

Job growth difficult. There are not that many opportunities to get a job in Yale that has more pay, responsibility, or degree of meaningful input.

Employee at Yale's Slifka Center

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Typically Relaxed atmosphere
    Work with students regularly
    Free food at kosher dinning hall
    Payment system works well
    Understanding management

Cons

Little room for upward mobility; you do your one job and stick with it
    Turnover has happened recently where many long-term employees lost their jobs
    Keep in mind this is for the Hillel on campus ONLY, not the university itself.

Consider the atmosphere of the center and not just operation costs

Summer Counselor

I worked at Yale University

Pros

The summer session office is filled with lovely people. There are great opportunities to improve your leadership skills, people skills, explaining things skills, and all round camp counseling skills.

Cons

There are no cons. You may have to deal with some interesting people from interesting countries but that's not a con. Not at all.

Good but future direction uncertain

Current Employee - Faculty in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Faculty in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past, was a good workplace. Union and administration relations were cordial and there hadn't been a major strike in over ten years.

Cons

People are being laid off or retired and not replaced. Future direction is uncertain given that much of the union labor force is being outsourced (to centralized food production or to business workpools). Atmosphere is much chillier than in previous years.

Administration needs to seriously think about the future of the university. Cutting costs is not the way to building excellence. Morale has dropped precipitously in many sectors.

Yale School of Nursing - PR Intern

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was probably the best internship I have ever had. My boss was very flexible with my schedule, everyone was polite, I had my own office, and it was a very nice environment.

Cons

I wish that I had the opportunity to work on more projects and really delve into the whole department.

A great place to work if you're not looking for advancement

I have been working at Yale University full-time

Pros

Working in a museum setting and in a beautiful building designed by a famous architect. As part of Yale, there are many benefits such as job security, free healthcare, lots of time off, etc. (Despite the cons, the benefits at Yale are what keeps most people working at Yale).

Cons

If you're not one of the curatorial or scholarly employees, then you're pretty limited in terms of job advancement. You can spend years working here and never be offered a promotion or increased responsibility, despite being worthy. Administrative staff don't see the same perks or earn the same respect as their curatorial/scholarly counterparts. External expertise is overvalued; internal expertise is undervalued. Management lacks trust in employees. Also, resistance to trying new methods of doing things. Too many meetings.

Trust your staff, rather than always looking for outside expertise, and allow them to work more independently. Promote from within, for both administrative AND curatorial staff. Recognize that good employees won't stay forever without incentives and feeling appreciated, more than thank you's--increased responsibility and promotions (without having to ask for them) are what motivates many people.

Yale

Current Employee - Assistant Director in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, good place to work

Cons

If you don't care about your workplace having a culture, work here

Competitive

Former Employee - Creative Services
    Former Employee - Creative Services

I worked at Yale University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very unique stimulating environment world class talents in all departments

Cons

Highly competitive co workers and under appreciative employer

lets work more together

Review of Major Gifts Development, Yale University

Current Employee - Development Officer, Major Gifts in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Development Officer, Major Gifts in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team of major gifts officers is a good one (except 1 of 16 officers leaves approx every 6 months).
    Good work/life balance
    iPads
    Department is willing to train fundraisers and take persons from non-traditional careers.
    Office centrally located downtown next to the Green.

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other Ivies or the regional market.
    Promotion system is far from transparent - not directly related to results. Pay at various title levels equally opaque.
    If you are male, you will never hold a management position within this 250-person organization under its current leadership (accept it unfortunately).
    Entire development office works on intense systems of micromanagement

Management has created a system whereby the individual officers matter less, and the system of collecting information/data from donors matters more. Officers are more customer service representatives than fundraising professionals.

Rather than work on how to manage against the downsides of poor retention, it would be better to reward current employees and boost retention and lengthen donor relationships with individual donors (donors notice - they tell us when they get a new officer every 18 months). Focusing on retention will help you save money and boost morale. Retention is major gifts management's biggest challenge.