Yale University Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
4.3

Yale University President Peter Salovey
Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits and vacation time (in 21 reviews)

• The pay is great, the community is healthy, and the University truly cares about it's employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The city of new Haven is not the best place to live in but a great place to have fun (in 6 reviews)

• Depending on the laboratory, the work environment was sometimes less than optimal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Where you work defines your experience.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having the Yale brand on your resume is a terrific life-long asset. Generally the staff are very helpful. While my day -to-day life often felt isolated, I enjoyed my experiences with various student groups, seminars, etc. Also, the Graduate Career Resource Center is incredible. They invite top consulting firms, host resume workshops, dissertation boot camps, and invite guest speakers from inside and outside academia so you know all your options when you graduate. It's entirely up to you to get out there and make the most of your time at Yale.

Cons

As a graduate researcher, my day-to-day life felt very isolating. My once large and thriving lab shrunk considerably in size as people graduated and funding dried up. I found that un-tenured professors are usually very stressed out and can overwork their students. On the flip side, tenured professors are way too laid back and don't move fast enough on publications, grant proposals, etc. Choose your mentor wisely, and be sure to change mentors early on if things look like they're not working out.

Consider a rotation program for incoming graduate researchers. Let newcomers experience ~3 labs/mentors before they commit to one.

A great employer for people with families

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits were really good. There was also fantastic job security.

Cons

The School of Medicine is a terrible place to work. The work climate on central campus is much more pleasant. Huge difference from one side of campus to the other.

Great Employer

I have been working at Yale University

Pros

The University is very passionate about taking care of their employees. They have a fantastic benefits system and work life program. Many of the departments are very supportive of career development and there is a great union for hourly employees.

Cons

Due to the largeness of the organization, some internal business processes do take longer than one would expect. It is also difficult to move up from hourly to salaried -- any pay grade rise is very difficult to obtain.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brings back fond memories

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work independently
    Very friendly coworkers
    Learn and explore new technologies and processes

Cons

Scheduling meetings with coworkers can be challenging because everyone is busy, not really a con, just a challenge.

Wonderful experience

I worked at Yale University

Pros

Large community, room for growth, lots of interaction between departments, people are genuinely excited about their work, great life-work balance, amazing healthcare plan.

Cons

No real cons, if you are here on a temporary assignment it may be difficult to break into the full Yale community, but it's a great place to grow if you're in for long term.

benefits, great place to work

I worked at Yale University

Pros

The excellent benefits make you want to stay

Cons

the organization is so large, you feel like a small cog.

Posgraduate Associate experience

Current Employee - Postgraduate Associate  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Postgraduate Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good place for learning and development. Collaborative environment and great opportunities to explore ideas and do research.

Cons

No opportunities to grow and university policies are more important than working environment circumstances.

Its intriguing that they give more importance to the opinions of previous employer that that of the current employer at Yale.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - APRN  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - APRN in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Busy hospital, diverse population

Cons

Fluctuating hours are a bit challenging

It's an honor to be employed by one of the most prestigious educational in intuitions in the world.

I have been working at Yale University for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is interesting and can be challenging if you want it to be. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and ample training to assist one in getting ahead. Flexible work situations can be found to accommodate working parents, caregivers, and commuters.
    The use of public transportation is encouraged and supported with free emergency rides and 3 free parking passes a month.
    The community offers an array of interesting activities including lectures, museums, concerts, and great people.

Cons

Managerial staff has been required to take on the largest burden of cost savings over the last five years with minimal raises, decreased benefits and increased workloads.

Best place to work as a student, but lots of bureaucracy

Current Employee - Level III Student Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Level III Student Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The base pay for student and grad student work is hard to rival, and makes it impossible to think about ever working for less. Payment is easy, a lot of the schools employing processees are really transparent.

Cons

Filling positions here takes forever, I would have taken another job at the company but the employment process dragged on longer than I could afford to wait.

Need to find a way to hire and retain talented graduates

Worked for Yale University? Contribute to the Community!