Yale University

Updated December 13, 2014
4.1

Yale University President Peter Salovey
Peter Salovey

Pros
  • Great benefits for earlier hires, nice work environment, beautiful campus, high salaries (in 26 reviews)

• Great work-life balance at Yale (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • very competitive, not a great place for colaborations (in 6 reviews)

• There was not a lot of upward mobility, I had to hope someone would leave or retire in order to be advanced (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Administrative Intern

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, CT

I have been working at Yale University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly and nurturing working environment

Cons

Not very challenging work (which is understandable)

Nice place for research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yale has demonstrated her scientific excellence. I am please to be a member. Smart people are everywhere. It is very good in terms of personal growth.

Cons

There is very competitive research environment. You have to work off hours. Salary is way too low. People get promoted slow.

Yale should increase salary for post doc. Signling contract annually policy is not a good idea. They should prolong to 3 years.

Program Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intellectually stimulating: the ideas and theories about health systems flowed freely.
    Schedule: spent most of the time in a 9-5 setting, with some very interesting travel.
    Interaction with students: the best and brightest continually inspired our office with their vivaciousness and critical thinking skills.
    Retirement: the 403(b) plan 5% match with a 5% bonus is a very good retirement package.
    Yale: the greater community is great! Lots of wonderful people to meet who possess a diversity of experiences and knowledge bar none.

Cons

Directors: The directors of the office where I worked were terrible. It was their way or the highway in terms of considering ideas and the way forward.
    Resistant to change: The group I work mainly duplicated efforts already existing in the private and public sector without much difference. This led to a lack of belief in the mission on my part.
    Favoritism: Directors conspicuously chose favorites, hailing their smallest feats as ground-breaking and actively criticizing the employees who they did not like.

1. Invest in outside training more. Define the employees' roles, and help them train for them.
    2. Respect equal opportunity and nurture ideas by all without reprisal or condemnation.
    3. Less talk, more walk.

Great People, Great University

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, excellent overall benefits package (health care coverage, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, etc.). The work/office culture largely depends on the specific department you work in.

Cons

Due to tradition and especially the sheer size of the university, the wheels of change (i.e. positive improvements) at Yale can move very slowly. This can be quite frustrating at times.

Be more open to flexible work schedules, and especially work from home options.

Great experience working in a Yale research lab

I have been working at Yale University

Pros

Great work-life balance at Yale.

Cons

Can't think of anything at least for now.

sound science faculty

I worked at Yale University (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Science faculty. Innovative ideas taken to the next level. Good place to set yourself up for the next career stage

Cons

very competitive, not a great place for colaborations

Loved the work, the pay was terrible

Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were great, matching funds for retirement fund, free entry into all Yale buildings, museums, libraries etc.
    It was very intellectually stimulating and challenging

Cons

The pay was terrible, as a woman I was treated differently than men and my salary showed it. You must pay for parking at approx $80/mo.

Treat employees of either gender equally. Pay maternity for all women.

Wonderful Place to Work

I have been working at Yale University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here and being a part of this extraordinary university is reason enough. Salaries are decent, but benefits are even better.

Cons

New Haven itself is awful overall.

Allow more work time flexibility.

Research in Biomedical Engineering

Former Employee - Research Assistant in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities for young new students in research. Cutting edge research with fellow students from the undergraduate community. I learned how to culture cells, use different imaging microscopes, and improved my presenting skills.

Cons

Long hours for only experience. Sometimes your food is not secure in the shared fridge space. The office space is a little out of the way of you don't have a car. People are very driven and it is hard to get people to separate from their project and help you with your work if they can help.

Where you work defines your experience.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having the Yale brand on your resume is a terrific life-long asset. Generally the staff are very helpful. While my day -to-day life often felt isolated, I enjoyed my experiences with various student groups, seminars, etc. Also, the Graduate Career Resource Center is incredible. They invite top consulting firms, host resume workshops, dissertation boot camps, and invite guest speakers from inside and outside academia so you know all your options when you graduate. It's entirely up to you to get out there and make the most of your time at Yale.

Cons

As a graduate researcher, my day-to-day life felt very isolating. My once large and thriving lab shrunk considerably in size as people graduated and funding dried up. I found that un-tenured professors are usually very stressed out and can overwork their students. On the flip side, tenured professors are way too laid back and don't move fast enough on publications, grant proposals, etc. Choose your mentor wisely, and be sure to change mentors early on if things look like they're not working out.

Consider a rotation program for incoming graduate researchers. Let newcomers experience ~3 labs/mentors before they commit to one.