Yamaha Motor U.S.A.

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Hiroyuki Yanagi

Great company to work for

I worked at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome fellow employees
    Direct managers are great
    AWESOME work/life balance

Cons

Working with multiple Japanese Expats can be confusing due to translation issues
    Career opportunities
    There weren't much product innovations while I was there

I

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Not only does Yamaha produce some of the best motor sport products available, the company also cares about it's employee's
    -The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and my co-workers were my 2nd family
    -VERY customer service oriented-Yamaha does an incredible job taking care of dealers and customers
    -The benefits are great...especially if you are an enthusiast

I strongly recommend Yamaha Motor Corporation

Cons

A little too conservative when introducing new products

Consider listening to the sales team a little more

Not worth your time

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time

Pros

Benefits and employee purchase program are both fantastic.

Cons

Management completely takes advantage of those down the line. Work you butt off, 40+ hour weeks gets you absolutely nowhere. Not even a pat on the back. Company culture is a complete mess. Employees are down right rude to each other in various divisions. I've heard things said to co-workers that I wouldn't say to my worst enemy and yet nothing there are never any repercussions. Oh and if you're a female don't even bother. This is a Japanese company, and women are not viewed on the same level. It's a law suit waiting to happen.

Clean house and pay people what they are worth then you might actually acquire some real talent.

Solid Company

I have been working at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Top tier benefits, competitive salary, job stability, advancement opportunities, culture of safety and continuous improvement. This company cares about its employee workforce, and I enjoy coming to work each day. The organization has many talented individuals who are great to work with. The company is growing rapidly, so if you do your job well, job security is not an issue. Great mix of American ingenuity and Japanese efficiency at work together.

Cons

Many new projects and meetings are often thrown into the mix, and at times it can be challenging to still get the day-to-day job duties completed.

Each Yamaha Motor company has it's own culture, which means different rules, dress codes, and policies for each branch. It would benefit the organization to adopt a universal platform to tie all the Yamaha companies together. I believe this would create a stronger bond between the different locations, resulting in a stronger and more efficient Yamaha Motor, USA.

Overall a good experience.

Current Employee - Assembler in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Assembler in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time

Pros

Recieve 3 10min breaks and a 30min lunch. Best thing was the breakfast the company provided in the mornings.

Cons

safety goggles tend to come up missing after while, u must have them in order to walk in so if u need a new pair ull have to see the resource office for some new ones and they take it right out of your paycheck.

Fast and fun products. Tedious culture.

Former Employee - Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very wide range of products and outstanding quality, which is a Yamaha hallmark. Good benefits.

Cons

The joke is that the parent company - Yamaha Motor Corp. (YMC) actually stands for Yamaha Meeting Corp. Lots of time spent in meetings and preparing PPT presentations for meetings and slogging through emails. Not uncommon to prepare at least three PPTs in a single week and attend three meetings a day, which severely impacts productivity. Very reactive business culture, often having to prepare reports for Japanese and realizing they aren't really read but simply passed up the line. This was proven when I learned to recycle presentations and simply changed the date. Business units not helpful to each other. Invitations to be involved are typically nothing more than attempts to secure your budget to subsidize their tactics and goals. No clear strategic approach - simply stringing tactics together. Many managers in place for decades. Often hear, "We want new ideas" but when new ideas are presented they're met with, "That's not the way we do it here." Human Resources personnel, not surprisingly, is very weak and unable to strike a balance between the employees' and the company's needs. Many employees simply riding the gravy train to retirement or holding on until a better opportunity comes along. The company is severely hamstrung by processes and procedures, reactive assignments, restrictive IT policies, and fear of lawsuits (due to a class action lawsuit involving the Rhino, which was baseless and Yamaha won but left the company shit-scared to do anything). Financially they are challenged while competitors have returned to profitability, yet they continue to say it's because of 2008.

Need to wake up and realize they're choking on their own inability to adapt to a new and fast business environment. A good bloodletting of the old wood is sorely needed. Stop using YMUS as the stepping stone for Japanese managers on the global merry-go-round managers program. Put an American in charge of the American business unit, someone who knows the culture and folks can at least understand. Put people in management who inspire and lead and encourage their reports to be creative, not conform and do the meaningless grunt work. And for lord's sake, stop micro managing. Micro management is a disease at YMUS.

It's not what you know....

Current Employee - Manager in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice products, dedicated employees, good work/life balance. Fair compensation and benefits.

Cons

Managers are more focused on protecting their positions rather than doing what is right for company. Cronyism is obvious and taints company culture. If you're not one of the good ol' boys, your input/contributions have little value. Highly political.corporate culture. New ideas are not welcomed by managers with little experience outside of the organization. .

Address lack of transparency from management to workers. Force Japan coordinators to be more than observers. Clean up the empire building managers, and hold everyone accountable for the success of the company. Do not reward departments if they hit their targets, but the end product flops. Encourage more outside hiring at YMUS to bring new ideas to the organization. We need the best and brightest.

A company with great engineering capability and a high level of quality in their products

I have been working at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good engineers, world class products, very decent co-workers

Cons

an ultra conservative company who is slow to very slow to react to the market. Does not follow their own surveys, and micro-manages with Japanese implants who generally change company direction every 5 years as they are rotated to new assignments

Need to let the regional markets determine the best business strategy for their region. Japan does not do a good job of undertanding regional needs.

Project Coordinator-Executive-Administrative Assistant II-Data Analyst

Former Employee - Project Coordinator-Executive-Administrative Assistant II-Data Analyst in Cypress, CA

I worked at Yamaha Motor U.S.A. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. The industry is fun to work in. The people are very motivated. The location is beautiful.

Cons

Hard to move up in positions. The inside company structure can use improvement. Visual identity needs a make over.

Coordinator

I have been working at Yamaha Motor U.S.A.

Pros

the product, the people and the discount on products

Cons

lack of growth and development