Yandex

Yandex Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Yandex CEO Arkady Volozh

Arkady Volozh

Pros
  • Interesting and challenging problems with large impact (in 5 reviews)

• Interesting and challenging tasks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance, team working, decision making (in 4 reviews)

• Salary is middle of the market, not top (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job in my career

Team Lead (Former Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsInteresting projects, good management, perfect work-life balance. What else do you need?

ConsNo. Really no cons. Trust me :)

Marketing manager

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsFast developing industry, startup corporate culture

ConsSometimes chaotic management & project planning

Advice to Senior ManagementMore strategy planning needed

Good company

ProsI like my job. Good technologies. I can growing. smart people

Conssalary, overtime (for free), a lot of stars

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care about salary in middle sector , not only top managers can be happy in this place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much politics

Project Manager (Former Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsA lot of smart people. A great experience of managing services with 10+ million daily audience. . Nice office. Good location.

ConsToo much politics for the middle management. A battle for resources. A lack of user oriented culture among engineers.Also engineers pay a lot of attention to code design but not much attention to optimization and hardware costs. By the way, I've changed this situation in a good way in the department I used to worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the maximum attention to optimization and stability of services. Create such a culture among developers and managers. You should know that money from context ads will not be countless as it is now. And then hardware and hosting costs could ruin all the company. That's why the code optimization should be the key for the modern high-tech company.

Tough at times but very rich experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsReally world-class software company, operating at exceptional data, users base and load scale. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and to grow. Lots of really bright people with very different skills and background. Immediate impact of your work on millions of users, adrenaline level is pretty high. Corporate culture is still very strong despite it has eroded somewhat over a few recent years. The focus is on openness and free speech and internally the company is very open and free. Compensation is fairly good, confortable office, very flexible working hours.

ConsOrganizationally and technolgically many things are done very ad hoc. The company didn't handle its scaling very well, it falls behind the pace it grows with. Anyone can come up with an idea (which is good), but often it is unclear what one has to do for the idea to have a chance to become real. Often it is not clear who is responsible for what, who is in charge of making a decision, how plans of various departments match each other. Many processes are inefficient, producing much frustration. It feels like a lack of big ideas, big vision for both products and technology, and this lack feels on all level - from bottom to top.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more established processes for making routine things truly routine and efficient, and thus leaving creativity for creating truly new things. Need more visionary, true courage for doing something really new, and not merely keeping up with competitors in the "me too" style.

Nice

Prosoffice culture, interesting projects, good teams

Conspromotions, very low salary, management,

Accountant Manager

Head of Group (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsBalance between work and life

Conslow level corporate culture and opportunities for non- IT specialist

The best company in Russia to work for

Analyst (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsEngaged people and smart top management. Opened culture. The company still changes and it is a chance to get interesting expirience.

ConsI have not found yet

Great company

Software Developer (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg (Russia)

ProsGood people, interesting job, pleasant office and excellent bonuses.

Conssometimes management is not very well

Great people, but less bottom-top transparency than it should be

Project Manager (Former Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsGreat company, challenging work, great diversity of tasks, really bright people, culture of open discussion, good compensation, flexible work schedule, generally good attitude of management.

ConsToo much separation of authority into product compartments, hard to make your point across boundaries, if you're out of favor with some stakeholders, it's pretty hard to get promoted or recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get more involved in day-to-day processes, don't take "hands off" or even "eyes shut" position as you usually do.

Worked for Yandex? Contribute to the Community!