Yankee Candle

Yankee Candle Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Yankee Candle President, CEO, and Director Harlan M. Kent

Harlan M. Kent

Pros:
  • "Many intellegent people that really care about doing a good job and making a great product,"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Enjoy working with customers, good discount on wax"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Spending the majority of the time worrying about the "secret shop" and making sure you pass"
    in 13 reviews
  • "They expect way too much out of store managers"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Product, Management is Self Destructive

Assistant Manager/Interim General Manager (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some great people in this company. A solid product, Yankee Candle is a company you can feel confident representing.

ConsMy location had 13 managers in 7 months. You read that right, 13. That kind of turnover is unacceptable, and is a reflection on district and region management. I worked as an Assistant Manager and Interim General Manager, and ran the store by myself. Store management gets burned out with the constant changes and promotions, and sales goals are frequently not met. In a struggling economy, candles are some of the first things to stop buying, especially with the Kohl's and Bed Bath and Beyond wholesale options, making your time less and less valuable to a dying company.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose some stores. You're cutting your client base into fourths when you have enough for maybe one store. Also, don't kill your employees. They're only as perform as well as they want to, and in retail sales, there's always another job around the corner. You lost the majority of your management in Utah for this reason. Treat your employees better. Cut the stores you don't need. Lastly, don't run your stores and employees into the ground. You'll close your retail stores if you don't change.

Candles

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time

ProsGood discount, good environment to work in

ConsNever-ending price increase, secret shopper program

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

LOVE the product, not the high stress and demand from management

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time

ProsThe best part of working for Yankee Candle would be the amazing team I work with! Yankee Candle has amazing product and getting a 50% discount is fantastic. The repeat guests that we have are wonderful and I love the rapport we have with them.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, understaffed and BIG cuts in labor. Raises are non-existent and there are no bonuses. The constant demand to make your daily sales goal and keep your ADS high is very stressful. The amount of shipment is overwhelming and ludicrous. The Secret Shopper program is absurd and needs to stop!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork for one year as a Sales Associate (with a Sales Associate's pay--oh, and that's part-time!) and ASAP each and every single guest. Enjoy those resets that happen every other week. Make sure you get all of shipment done, which is 50-80 boxes at once (about twice a week), get those 4pm Reads in, drop what you're doing and ASAP each guest because they could be that secret shopper that can make or break you. Make sure that you and your team meet or exceed your daily sales goals or kiss this job goodbye.
Remember, we are all human beings. Do your best to treat us as such...

Not the best

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat product! Decent pay for the area, and a fantastic discount.

ConsOverworked, understaffed, and more shipment than you can possibly fit into a store while still being able to move. Constant changes and more reporting to corporate than you can imagine. The Mystery Shop was so ridiculous I still cringe thinking about it years later.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the Mystery Shop and make it into something that isn't about nagging your customers for so many different add ons.

Lot of fun, but some trouble with upper management marred my experience.

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Dulles, VA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time

Pros-Product is really cool (I still love the candles) and the discount on the candles is really good. -Co-workers are generally pretty nice and fun to work with.
-You get to wear jeans to work.
-Work schedule is usually pretty flexible and it's a good job if you're a student.
-Getting paid on a weekly basis was pretty nice.
-I always loved to see and/or smell the new products when it came in.

Cons-Spending the majority of the time worrying about the "secret shop" and making sure you pass. This can be difficult because some of the items on the shop are weighted more heavily than others - so much so that failing one certain item can cost you the whole shop!
-Meeting the ridiculously high customer phone number and e-mail capture rates can also be difficult due to people being very protective of this information.
-Rude customers from time to time. However, since this is retail, rude and pushy customers are to be expected.
-Pay is a little on the low side.
-My biggest problem with working at YCC was dealing with members of the upper level management in that they would often play favoritism with certain employees or stores in the district and allow these people/stores to literally do what they wanted to and/or get away with policy violations that could get them in a heap of trouble. They also had a habit of micromanaging everything about each store or individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not play favorites, treat every store and every employee with equal difference and respect, and do not micromanage everything - let the stores have some level of autonomy. Also, please lower the threshold for a passing secret shop and lower your capture rates for phone and e-mail.

Best way to gain experience

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time for more than a year

Prosdiscount, can get plenty of overtime, have awesome returning customers, the pay for a first assistant is a lot higher than most retail, bonuses

Conssecret shops ( even though there easy they make everyone on edge)
district manager was never available and when she was she was a real you no what

Advice to Senior Managementopen more stores so there is more room for advancement

Decent place to work if you're a PT Sales Associate. Once you hit management, it's a different story.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent benefits, fun working environment, great co-workers and store managers

ConsTerrible hours, turning into a profit-driven company with little focus on building solid customer relationships (as in views everyone that walks through their doors as dollar signs and not people), upper management does not have faith or trust their employees or stand behind them, gives the impression that any member of the team is easily replaceable and not valued, prices continue to increase in a shaky economy yet they wonder why stores are no longer making their sales goals

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees, especially ones that have been with the company for years, be open to advice or suggestions i.e. what fragrances sell the best at certain locations

Great product, great people, inconsistent and ineffective management

Corporate (Former Employee)

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time

ProsProduct is great, salary levels are fair, brand is respected

ConsInconsistent direction, strategy changes with each management change, when business is challenging management becomes " big brother" and positions are threatened

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect gathers respect. Spend less time thinking about the numbers and honestly listen to the employees

A great place to work

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunity for growth and advancement. People care about what they do and how they do it.

ConsHard to come up with a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue striving to grow.

Great Company that makes you feel like family. Needs a little more business sense.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay, discount - 50% off all fragrancing items, flexible schedule, big company runs like a small business - treats employees with great respect.

ConsPhantom shops are quarterly and a bit extensive, there are either a million things to do or nothing to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise the phantom shop - most guests don't want so much attention. Rethink the return policy - it leaves managers open to such a loss.

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yankee Candle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yankee Candle CEO Harlan M. Kent. All 162 reviews posted anonymously by Yankee Candle employees.