Yankee Candle

Yankee Candle Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Yankee Candle President, CEO, and Director Harlan M. Kent

Harlan M. Kent

Pros:
  • "50% discount on wax offered to employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Personal attention and service to customers, a great product, easy to sell"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Spending the majority of the time worrying about the "secret shop" and making sure you pass"
    in 15 reviews
  • "There is WAY too much upper management"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Candles

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood discount, good environment to work in

ConsNever-ending price increase, secret shopper program

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

Lot of fun, but some trouble with upper management marred my experience.

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

Pros-Product is really cool (I still love the candles) and the discount on the candles is really good. -Co-workers are generally pretty nice and fun to work with.
    -You get to wear jeans to work.
    -Work schedule is usually pretty flexible and it's a good job if you're a student.
    -Getting paid on a weekly basis was pretty nice.
    -I always loved to see and/or smell the new products when it came in.

Cons-Spending the majority of the time worrying about the "secret shop" and making sure you pass. This can be difficult because some of the items on the shop are weighted more heavily than others - so much so that failing one certain item can cost you the whole shop!
    -Meeting the ridiculously high customer phone number and e-mail capture rates can also be difficult due to people being very protective of this information.
    -Rude customers from time to time. However, since this is retail, rude and pushy customers are to be expected.
    -Pay is a little on the low side.
    -My biggest problem with working at YCC was dealing with members of the upper level management in that they would often play favoritism with certain employees or stores in the district and allow these people/stores to literally do what they wanted to and/or get away with policy violations that could get them in a heap of trouble. They also had a habit of micromanaging everything about each store or individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not play favorites, treat every store and every employee with equal difference and respect, and do not micromanage everything - let the stores have some level of autonomy. Also, please lower the threshold for a passing secret shop and lower your capture rates for phone and e-mail.

Best way to gain experience

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Prosdiscount, can get plenty of overtime, have awesome returning customers, the pay for a first assistant is a lot higher than most retail, bonuses

Conssecret shops ( even though there easy they make everyone on edge)
    district manager was never available and when she was she was a real you no what

Advice to Senior Managementopen more stores so there is more room for advancement

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LOVE the product, not the high stress and demand from management

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe best part of working for Yankee Candle would be the amazing team I work with! Yankee Candle has amazing product and getting a 50% discount is fantastic. The repeat guests that we have are wonderful and I love the rapport we have with them.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, understaffed and BIG cuts in labor. Raises are non-existent and there are no bonuses. The constant demand to make your daily sales goal and keep your ADS high is very stressful. The amount of shipment is overwhelming and ludicrous. The Secret Shopper program is absurd and needs to stop!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork for one year as a Sales Associate (with a Sales Associate's pay--oh, and that's part-time!) and ASAP each and every single guest. Enjoy those resets that happen every other week. Make sure you get all of shipment done, which is 50-80 boxes at once (about twice a week), get those 4pm Reads in, drop what you're doing and ASAP each guest because they could be that secret shopper that can make or break you. Make sure that you and your team meet or exceed your daily sales goals or kiss this job goodbye.
    Remember, we are all human beings. Do your best to treat us as such...

Not the best

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat product! Decent pay for the area, and a fantastic discount.

ConsOverworked, understaffed, and more shipment than you can possibly fit into a store while still being able to move. Constant changes and more reporting to corporate than you can imagine. The Mystery Shop was so ridiculous I still cringe thinking about it years later.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the Mystery Shop and make it into something that isn't about nagging your customers for so many different add ons.

Factory sucks Left me on my ass after a work injury. Worked my ass off for them. Mandatory overtime. Burns.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe worker bees on third shift are champions!! The origins of Yankee are perfectly sweet, now it's a corporate machine. Sad really.

ConsOften the rudest managers are given the most power. Cliques everywhere! Drama. Inequality of work vs pay. Factory mandatory overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to its origins, care more about your employees. The beginnings of Yankee were beautiful. He cared. This is blind profit.

too many cooks in the kitchen

Deerfield, MA

Proslots of nice coworkers, stable company, good benefits, many employees have worked at company for 10+ years

ConsToo much bureaucracy; lots of inequality in division of labor between departments; management seem out of touch at times (with market, departments, current trends)

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for dialogue when questioning rationale.

Decent place to work if you're a PT Sales Associate. Once you hit management, it's a different story.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits, fun working environment, great co-workers and store managers

ConsTerrible hours, turning into a profit-driven company with little focus on building solid customer relationships (as in views everyone that walks through their doors as dollar signs and not people), upper management does not have faith or trust their employees or stand behind them, gives the impression that any member of the team is easily replaceable and not valued, prices continue to increase in a shaky economy yet they wonder why stores are no longer making their sales goals

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees, especially ones that have been with the company for years, be open to advice or suggestions i.e. what fragrances sell the best at certain locations

Great product, great people, inconsistent and ineffective management

Corporate (Former Employee)

ProsProduct is great, salary levels are fair, brand is respected

ConsInconsistent direction, strategy changes with each management change, when business is challenging management becomes " big brother" and positions are threatened

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect gathers respect. Spend less time thinking about the numbers and honestly listen to the employees

A great place to work

ProsOpportunity for growth and advancement. People care about what they do and how they do it.

ConsHard to come up with a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue striving to grow.

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yankee Candle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yankee Candle CEO Harlan M. Kent. All 180 reviews posted anonymously by Yankee Candle employees.