Yankee Candle Reviews

Reset

1. Unclear Expectations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, decent reputation, most employees have been there for.several years, upper management nis.structurally sound

Cons

Socializing at work is frowned upon, new employees seem to obtain info on a need to know basis, poor training and specific job expectations are not clearly explained

Advice to Management

Demand Planner position for Canada is not clearly defined and the dept supervisor is not a good communicater and not very personable

2. Serious Issues

Former Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off anything wax or with fragrance. Great associates Family feel to the team Treat employees well by giving them a 15 and a 30 minute break depending on shift size (not all companies do that) Full-Time benefits are nice. PTO, Insurance through parent company, Jarden, and a 401K

Cons

Upper management causes a lot of stress on store management team when store doesn't make unrealistic sales goals. Computer system is 10 years old and is in serious need of an upgrade. Micromanagement through reads and personal goals that make for pitting employees against one another. Company is more afraid of employees stealing than they are of customers stealing with cameras only facing where employees handle money and bag checks at the end of every shift.

Advice to Management

Your employees aren't actually that scary. They are actually pretty good, if you trust them. You lost a great manager all because she was being attacked and no one listened and investigated the store and district managers. Apparently they were more trustworthy about ethics than she was.

3. good company to build a career with

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Deerfield, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Deerfield, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle (Less than a year)

Pros

room for growth, eagerness for you to learn more, good support network

Cons

inflexible hours, more incentives needed

5. Love this place!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ

I worked at Yankee Candle (More than a year)

Pros

Everything. Best company I have ever worked for. I worked at an outlet, so I loved gaining knowledge of retired fragrances to better serve customers needs.

Cons

The only con I would say is the pay. Over all, the pay isn't anything great. It is standard to what you'd get paid at any company.

6. It's all about which district you're in

Former Employee - Second Assistant Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like the title, as long as the district manager isn't the devil, you're fine. Comforting atmosphere of the store get along well with coworkers and store manager (depending on your store)

Cons

Entry pay starting only at minimum wage Raises are obsolete; you get an annual review with your store manager tat they need to send into the district then regional manager for evaluation. Raises for sales associates go no higher than $0.10 to $0.20 A YEAR I was only lucky enough to be promoted to assistant management due to low count of management in our store, but even then, the raise was very small. Expect to stay late to set up floor sets of semi annual sales, halloween sale in august and christmas sales in october. Oh, and if you do work late, you are required to clock out in a modified time to where your working hours don't exceed your calculated liited hours of payroll within that week. (eg) the manager has to estimate and prepare weeks of schedules in the future, for instance, one sales associate will get up to 18 hours in week 1, and can't work any more than that otherwise the manager will get in trouble for exceeding.

Advice to Management

not even the store manager, but the district manager (depending on which district again, district 8 was hell) needs to listen to their employees and actually care what they have to say, no matter how many times the corporation's policy manuals state that the employees' feelings matter.

7. Seriously great company.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had a wonderful experience at Yankee candle. I started as a second assistant manager. I've received multiple pay raises and a promotion in a year. Retail is retail. But this is the best retail job I've ever had. The company is always doing contests and give lots of free prizes to the stores. There will always be people who don't treat their employees like they should in every company. But as a whole I feel like Yankee candle wants me to be happy too. As a manager I'm given the necessary control to always do what I can to help make my customers experience great. Some companies say that...but this one backs me up. Their bottom line is the customer. I can see how some areas in the company you can't move quickly...but they seem to recognize hard work. The training system they have set up is impressive. Having across the board standards with store to store operations makes training and transferring smooth and comfortable. I feel educated on procedures and product. I really wish they would spend the money to send employees to their headquarters in Deerfield ma. It would be so beneficial.

Cons

Retail is retail. The continued use of secret shoppers seems out dated. The motion sensor(transaction counter or conversion tracker) at the door...it's inaccurate and really an unfair standard. Though accountability and knowledge is excellent...this system is too flawed and needs to be addressed between corporate and the ground level. Too conservative with dress code. Strict and limited with hair, clothes and piercings/tattoos

Advice to Management

I really wish they would spend the money to send employees to their headquarters in Deerfield ma. It would be so beneficial. Customers make vacations there and they tell us about things we should have seen or done. As said above....the conversion system is flawed, inaccurate, unfair and outdated. Please address this. Its discouraging and a huge negative to both the everyday experience as a salesperson and a customer. Accountability is excellent...when executed correctly. Update dress code :) it's 2015

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinton Falls, NJ

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, great atmosphere, holiday bonus

Cons

Busy during holidays and extended hours, physically exhuasting

9. 2nd Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment within the local mall. Clean, neat and well organized. The whole place smelled great. Got to wear nice, professional clothes to work.

Cons

Lots of drama as the whole staff was female. Too much overwhelming pressure to sell, sell, sell, even though no one received a commission. Yuck! Even when you did sell and meet sales goals, it was never, ever enough!

Advice to Management

Girls in their early twenties don't make good management material. Appreciate the difficulties of selling something unnecessary without even the incentive of a commission or bonus! Not many people are willing to do this.

10. Yankee Candle

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time

Pros

It is a fun store to work in for the most part. Love the product. The discount is great.

Cons

The pay is absolutely horrible!!! Raises are practically nothing! You so get secret shopped every quarter and they expect a lot from you. I understand great customer service but I often felt we were to pushy with the customers. They felt uncomfortable and became rude when you had to say or ask certain questions.

Advice to Management

Make the pay better or don't expect so much to be done in very little time. Listen to your employees more .. We work with the customers and hear what they want so take our advice.

Can you micromanage too much?

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Bridgeport, WV
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Bridgeport, WV

I have been working at Yankee Candle (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts, co-workers, and quarter incentives

Cons

Not enough hours, secret shoppers, and upper management (why do you need to be updated so many times in one day)

Advice to Management

You shouldn't monitor every step made by employees. Don't allow customers to walk all over your employees. All these ridiculous contests to do better are crazy and they get out of hand. (a new rule or option should not be added every few days to these competitions)

RSS Feed </> Embed