Yankee Candle

Yankee Candle Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Hope Margala

Pros
  • 50% discount on wax for associates (in 10 reviews)

• Many intellegent people that really care about doing a good job and making a great product, (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many made up and alterered rules and policies by upper management (in 17 reviews)

• District manager has fired many Store managers and asst managers (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Watch out for high turn over rate if you are part of management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the clients, great product, and generous employee discount

Cons

District manager has fired many Store managers and asst managers. I was informed by many people including family members who made me aware of the details that I chose at the time to disregard. In time,I found out the truth and every manager that has worked in the district was fine and had 100 on their secret shop which told me it was something personal.District manager was Very controlling and offered no suppport and was constant mia when you needed the help the most. I was quite surprised to see here on reviews that everyone else has had a more positive experience. Depends on who your district manager is. Overall, the customers made it worth my while and they knew me by name.

Corporate and human resource should be monitoring their district managers and there should never be a high overturn of store and assistant managers! Approx 7 in one year, that's a red flag if I ever saw one...Please get involved and get to the bottom of things because you are losing valuable employees who loved their job and got positive feedback from clients. I know because clients have asked me what happened to employee so and so

District 11 management

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

My position as 1st assistant paid me 13$ to start which is dwscent in utah.
    50% discount is awesome.

Cons

The upper management is very inconsistent ,constantly is condascending ,unprofessional and just needs to be educated on management. Theres been over 10 managers walk out in 3 years justvin one district

Listen to the employees that are reaching out to you something has to be done

Manufacturing

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Whately, MA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Whately, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work. Lots of overtime. Once in a while they hand out a free candle to take home.

Cons

Pay versus the work expected of you. One of the lowest paying operations in the area. The raises are capped at 1% and you likely will not even see that much regardless of performance. The benefits have also taken a turn for the worst in recent years. New hires (con for me, plus for you) are often brought in at pay higher than that of employees who's tenure spans 20+ years and are then trained by them. If you need work fast, this is the place, if not hold out for something better in the area, there is facilities within a few miles that start $7 an hour+ over what Yankee pays for the same skill set.

Simple: The people on your work floor are the bread and butter of the operation. Do not continue to treat them like last week's coffee. Without the skilled work force that knows the ins and outs of the machinery sticking around it will be much harder to keep up with demand let alone train new people properly.

Terrible place to work

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount and the customers are the only good thing about being at this company.

Cons

Zero commission yet associates are constantly stealing sales and being too over competitive and sneaky. Part-time 2nd assistant managers are only allowed 2 days off during the weekday for school or personal things, yet the hours range from 16-32 hours, very inconsistent, even having gone BELOW the 16 hour "guarantee" before. Ridiculous "phantom shops" make it incredibly difficult to give a customer great service for their own individual needs. The phantom shops make the customers feel like another number and just another sale. The "open door" policy is basically non-existent since management likes to play favorites.

Hire more qualified people. I have had to fix so many errors management above me has made. Hire people who can take criticism and ask for help when they need it. Candles are a LUXURY item. People don't have to buy candles unless they have disposable income. The only thing that can make this company succeed is happy employees who love their jobs and love the product. If you can't keep those passionate employees happy then they will leave! Stop hiring sales associates who do not care for the product, do not use the product, and lie about product knowledge only to get the sale!

Better Opportunities

Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice Peers. Many contests with good prizes.

Cons

No communication from supervisor. Not much work life balance. not much room for growth.

Hire better district managers

Overall good experience

I have been working at Yankee Candle

Pros

Great systems in place for operations and maintenance. Great bonus plan if you can make it.

Cons

Unrealistic sales plans, change plans frequently to deal with slow business, changing policy is confusing

overall it was mostly positive

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The discount and the co-workers

Cons

District management was always a challenge, they just want sales and don't care about employees, if you are a store manager you can get away with everything

get rid of secret shops and take better care of employees on the front lines, pay more attention to how your district managers treat store employees and especially managers, they get away with a lot of shady stuff

Great place for a career

Former Employee - I Held A Variety of Jobs There in South Deerfield, MA
    Former Employee - I Held A Variety of Jobs There in South Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has a broad variety of options and you can hold the same job for a long time if you want or you can post into many other roles throughout the company.

Cons

Since being purchased by Jarden the former values of the company seem to be a bit up in the air. A number of really great people left or were asked to leave, the benefits have changed etc. (Though on the flip side of that, there is now a much larger quantity of products employees can get a discount on through Jarden.)

Keep talking to employees, keep listening and keep showing everyone at every level respect.

Company of Change

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

Discount, The Brand/Product, Customers, Visual, Flag ship store

Cons

So many executive level changes

They Don't Care About You

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The shops are well cared for and nice to look at.

Cons

Yankee Candle does not care about their employees. You can work there for over a year, get a good review and still only make minimum wage. And believe me, they want a lot of dedication for that minimum wage! They have no regard for you as a person. They expect you to put them above your family and home life. They have no regard for for your physical welfare either. I hurt myself and they still would not excuse me from heavy lifting. If you're ill, they still expect you to come in to work. They will work six hours or more without a lunch break, not caring if you are hungry or thirsty. They suck! If I did not need the money, and jobs were not so hard to find (even retail jobs are rare now) I would resign. As soon as I find a better job, I'm going to run from Yankee Candle as fast as I can.

Treat your employees like people and not just fodder to sell over priced candles to over privileged women for minimum wage!

Yankee Candle Photos