Yankee Candle

www.yankeecandle.com
Employer Engaged

District 11 management

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

My position as 1st assistant paid me 13$ to start which is dwscent in utah.
    50% discount is awesome.

Cons

The upper management is very inconsistent ,constantly is condascending ,unprofessional and just needs to be educated on management. Theres been over 10 managers walk out in 3 years justvin one district

Listen to the employees that are reaching out to you something has to be done

Manufacturing

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Whately, MA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Whately, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work. Lots of overtime. Once in a while they hand out a free candle to take home.

Cons

Pay versus the work expected of you. One of the lowest paying operations in the area. The raises are capped at 1% and you likely will not even see that much regardless of performance. The benefits have also taken a turn for the worst in recent years. New hires (con for me, plus for you) are often brought in at pay higher than that of employees who's tenure spans 20+ years and are then trained by them. If you need work fast, this is the place, if not hold out for something better in the area, there is facilities within a few miles that start $7 an hour+ over what Yankee pays for the same skill set.

Simple: The people on your work floor are the bread and butter of the operation. Do not continue to treat them like last week's coffee. Without the skilled work force that knows the ins and outs of the machinery sticking around it will be much harder to keep up with demand let alone train new people properly.

Terrible place to work

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount and the customers are the only good thing about being at this company.

Cons

Zero commission yet associates are constantly stealing sales and being too over competitive and sneaky. Part-time 2nd assistant managers are only allowed 2 days off during the weekday for school or personal things, yet the hours range from 16-32 hours, very inconsistent, even having gone BELOW the 16 hour "guarantee" before. Ridiculous "phantom shops" make it incredibly difficult to give a customer great service for their own individual needs. The phantom shops make the customers feel like another number and just another sale. The "open door" policy is basically non-existent since management likes to play favorites.

Hire more qualified people. I have had to fix so many errors management above me has made. Hire people who can take criticism and ask for help when they need it. Candles are a LUXURY item. People don't have to buy candles unless they have disposable income. The only thing that can make this company succeed is happy employees who love their jobs and love the product. If you can't keep those passionate employees happy then they will leave! Stop hiring sales associates who do not care for the product, do not use the product, and lie about product knowledge only to get the sale!

Metrics, Metrics, Metrics

Former Employee - Second Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Product discount, internal hiring, knowledge of products/components

Cons

bureaucracy, non-competitive pay, shifts are long and if you're a key holder you will often be by yourself, bathroom breaks are hard to come by when you're alone

Pay your employees a competitive wage.

Better Opportunities

Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice Peers. Many contests with good prizes.

Cons

No communication from supervisor. Not much work life balance. not much room for growth.

Hire better district managers

Overall good experience

I have been working at Yankee Candle

Pros

Great systems in place for operations and maintenance. Great bonus plan if you can make it.

Cons

Unrealistic sales plans, change plans frequently to deal with slow business, changing policy is confusing

Great place for a career

Former Employee - I Held A Variety of Jobs There in South Deerfield, MA
    Former Employee - I Held A Variety of Jobs There in South Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has a broad variety of options and you can hold the same job for a long time if you want or you can post into many other roles throughout the company.

Cons

Since being purchased by Jarden the former values of the company seem to be a bit up in the air. A number of really great people left or were asked to leave, the benefits have changed etc. (Though on the flip side of that, there is now a much larger quantity of products employees can get a discount on through Jarden.)

Keep talking to employees, keep listening and keep showing everyone at every level respect.

Company of Change

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

Discount, The Brand/Product, Customers, Visual, Flag ship store

Cons

So many executive level changes

overall it was mostly positive

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The discount and the co-workers

Cons

District management was always a challenge, they just want sales and don't care about employees, if you are a store manager you can get away with everything

get rid of secret shops and take better care of employees on the front lines, pay more attention to how your district managers treat store employees and especially managers, they get away with a lot of shady stuff

The company was great but watch out for management.

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Candles at a discount. The CEO is very passionate and compassionate. Communication with corporate and management is one of the best I have ever seen in the retail world. They attract great employees because of the great branding and products.

Cons

Extremely high turn around on DM. I worked there for almost 3yrs and we had 5 DMs. You had to read daily emails to find out who your DM was that day or week. They have no official Interim Store Manager title so I was officially the Assistant Store Manager for almost 3yrs but unofficially I was the Interim Store Manager for 1.5 years with the Training Store Manager popping in once a week to check things out.
    You have to be part of the "In" crowd to get anywhere. Do NOT anger your DM at all in ANY way because you will promptly find yourself without a job. On more than one occasion, I saw complete store staff fired from Store manager down because they "rubbed" the DM the wrong way so be prepared to kiss butt if you like your pay check!

I think that Yankee Candle has alot of super stars working for them and they know it. There are just a few bad apples... weed them out and continue to do great things as a company!

Yankee Candle Photos