Yankee Candle Reviews

1. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in South Deerfield, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in South Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great brand. Customers love the product.

Cons

Company values have changed a lot over the last year. Upper management is untrustworthy. Very limited internal promotions.

2. The experience you get at Yankee Candle is great, you learn so many things about candles you never knew were possible.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work at Yankee Candle is the customers, who isn't happy when they are shopping for candles. Fragrances are fun and make people happy, whether it's for themselves or for others.

Cons

If you work hard you can move up, but to get any further past a manager is a challenge. Some store managers and district managers are willing to teach you what you need to know, some aren't as willing and like to take credit themselves. Depending on the district you are in the experience can be amazing.

3. Fun Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun place to work if you enjoy candles and fragrance

Cons

Sales are taken VERY seriously. Managers lose jobs with no hesitation if sales go down

5. Metrics, Metrics, Metrics

Former Employee - Second Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Product discount, internal hiring, knowledge of products/components

Cons

bureaucracy, non-competitive pay, shifts are long and if you're a key holder you will often be by yourself, bathroom breaks are hard to come by when you're alone

Pay your employees a competitive wage.

6. absolutely TRASH

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is no Pros about this job

Cons

Bad compensation,bad management and bad time off policies if there was even one.

7. Manufacturing

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Whately, MA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Whately, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work. Lots of overtime. Once in a while they hand out a free candle to take home.

Cons

Pay versus the work expected of you. One of the lowest paying operations in the area. The raises are capped at 1% and you likely will not even see that much regardless of performance. The benefits have also taken a turn for the worst in recent years. New hires (con for me, plus for you) are often brought in at pay higher than that of employees who's tenure spans 20+ years and are then trained by them. If you need work fast, this is the place, if not hold out for something better in the area, there is facilities within a few miles that start $7 an hour+ over what Yankee pays for the same skill set.

Simple: The people on your work floor are the bread and butter of the operation. Do not continue to treat them like last week's coffee. Without the skilled work force that knows the ins and outs of the machinery sticking around it will be much harder to keep up with demand let alone train new people properly.

8. District 11 management

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

My position as 1st assistant paid me 13$ to start which is dwscent in utah.
    50% discount is awesome.

Cons

The upper management is very inconsistent ,constantly is condascending ,unprofessional and just needs to be educated on management. Theres been over 10 managers walk out in 3 years justvin one district

Listen to the employees that are reaching out to you something has to be done

9. Watch out for high turn over rate if you are part of management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the clients, great product, and generous employee discount

Cons

District manager has fired many Store managers and asst managers. I was informed by many people including family members who made me aware of the details that I chose at the time to disregard. In time,I found out the truth and every manager that has worked in the district was fine and had 100 on their secret shop which told me it was something personal.District manager was Very controlling and offered no suppport and was constant mia when you needed the help the most. I was quite surprised to see here on reviews that everyone else has had a more positive experience. Depends on who your district manager is. Overall, the customers made it worth my while and they knew me by name.

Corporate and human resource should be monitoring their district managers and there should never be a high overturn of store and assistant managers! Approx 7 in one year, that's a red flag if I ever saw one...Please get involved and get to the bottom of things because you are losing valuable employees who loved their job and got positive feedback from clients. I know because clients have asked me what happened to employee so and so

10. Better Opportunities

Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice Peers. Many contests with good prizes.

Cons

No communication from supervisor. Not much work life balance. not much room for growth.

Hire better district managers

11. Terrible place to work

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount and the customers are the only good thing about being at this company.

Cons

Zero commission yet associates are constantly stealing sales and being too over competitive and sneaky. Part-time 2nd assistant managers are only allowed 2 days off during the weekday for school or personal things, yet the hours range from 16-32 hours, very inconsistent, even having gone BELOW the 16 hour "guarantee" before. Ridiculous "phantom shops" make it incredibly difficult to give a customer great service for their own individual needs. The phantom shops make the customers feel like another number and just another sale. The "open door" policy is basically non-existent since management likes to play favorites.

Hire more qualified people. I have had to fix so many errors management above me has made. Hire people who can take criticism and ask for help when they need it. Candles are a LUXURY item. People don't have to buy candles unless they have disposable income. The only thing that can make this company succeed is happy employees who love their jobs and love the product. If you can't keep those passionate employees happy then they will leave! Stop hiring sales associates who do not care for the product, do not use the product, and lie about product knowledge only to get the sale!

Yankee Candle Photos