Yankee Candle

Yankee Candle Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Yankee Candle President, CEO, and Director Harlan M. Kent

Harlan M. Kent

Pros
  • Many intellegent people that really care about doing a good job and making a great product, (in 16 reviews)

• 50% discount on wax offered to employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many made up and alterered rules and policies by upper management (in 15 reviews)

• Spending the majority of the time worrying about the "secret shop" and making sure you pass (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

ProsOpportunity for growth and advancement. People care about what they do and how they do it.

ConsHard to come up with a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue striving to grow.

Great Company that makes you feel like family. Needs a little more business sense.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPay, discount - 50% off all fragrancing items, flexible schedule, big company runs like a small business - treats employees with great respect.

ConsPhantom shops are quarterly and a bit extensive, there are either a million things to do or nothing to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise the phantom shop - most guests don't want so much attention. Rethink the return policy - it leaves managers open to such a loss.

Not the best

Store Manager (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat product! Decent pay for the area, and a fantastic discount.

ConsOverworked, understaffed, and more shipment than you can possibly fit into a store while still being able to move. Constant changes and more reporting to corporate than you can imagine. The Mystery Shop was so ridiculous I still cringe thinking about it years later.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the Mystery Shop and make it into something that isn't about nagging your customers for so many different add ons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Factory sucks Left me on my ass after a work injury. Worked my ass off for them. Mandatory overtime. Burns.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe worker bees on third shift are champions!! The origins of Yankee are perfectly sweet, now it's a corporate machine. Sad really.

ConsOften the rudest managers are given the most power. Cliques everywhere! Drama. Inequality of work vs pay. Factory mandatory overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to its origins, care more about your employees. The beginnings of Yankee were beautiful. He cared. This is blind profit.

too many cooks in the kitchen

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Deerfield, MA

Proslots of nice coworkers, stable company, good benefits, many employees have worked at company for 10+ years

ConsToo much bureaucracy; lots of inequality in division of labor between departments; management seem out of touch at times (with market, departments, current trends)

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for dialogue when questioning rationale.

Great product, great people, inconsistent and ineffective management

Corporate (Former Employee)

ProsProduct is great, salary levels are fair, brand is respected

ConsInconsistent direction, strategy changes with each management change, when business is challenging management becomes " big brother" and positions are threatened

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect gathers respect. Spend less time thinking about the numbers and honestly listen to the employees

Solid Stable Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun place to work

ConsMajority of the year it is very slow without enough customers

My experience at Yankee Candle was very positive.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFifty percent employee discount on all wax products! Clean work environment with great and trusted products.

ConsRetail jobs tend to not have the best hours. Some candles may smell particularly strong and cause headaches or migraines.

I had a wonderful time working for this company and found it to be a great experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours for part time employees. Great retail experience for new members to the retail world. The company provides plannograms to make it much easier when setting up the store.

ConsHours become seasonal since it is in retail. More hours available in the holiday seasons, so may not be the best fit for a part time worker wanting constant hours through out the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake hours more available to management for extra help with associates.

It's a great company to work for as long as you aren't in the S Florida district

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat discounts, great benefits, great bonuses, great co-workers

ConsI had no store manager and did all of the store manager duties

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to communicate more with your employees

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!