YapStone

Add Photos

Matthew Golis

Change is on the way

I have been working at YapStone full-time for less than a year

ProsI came here after reading the Glassdoor reviews because I believed that the company has potential to become something amazing. I wanted to be at a place where I could make a difference and in the time that I've been here, I came for the right reason.

In the time that I have been here, I have seen senior leaders try to bring positive change to the company. The company is currently undergoing a re-brand, which should help send the message that YapStone is trying very hard to change it's old reputation.

Although the hours are long, this is not a high pressure environment or a workhorse factory. Many people are given projects that allow them autonomy and independence and many of us manage our time as we please, without micromanagement. I enjoy the people I work with and have found that most people are very bright and want to help the company grow.

ConsA lot of the disgruntled reviews have come from people who have been loyal to the company and not been rewarded. Upper management could definitely take time to have current employees feel as valued as incoming new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within this review period.

Walls are closing in

I have been working at YapStone

ProsI can't think of anything positive about the founders or this company as a whole.

ConsAfter reading some of these recent reviews, I felt empowered to include my two cents. I agree whole heartedly with the Enron analogy. The founders of this company (Golis and Villante) only care about their own personal profits. They use their employees, who are the only people actually keeping the company going. They lack the necessary intelligence and leadership skills required to run a successful company. Neither realizes what work actually goes into running the company nor do they understand who actually ensures the functioning, albeit low functioning, of the company. Ignorance is bliss as long as they can indulge in luxury cars and Malibu mansions.
With no ability in regards to the leadership, it isn't surprising that the company is on the verge of spiraling. Accel must be absolutely clueless or must not do the proper due diligence before investing in a company, because if they had looked even a little bit closely at YapStone, they wouldn't have invested five dollars. Now that the market is on the verge of correcting, there should be absolutely zero chance of future investment in the company, which gives zero incentive to want to work here. The only reason this company has above one star on here has to do with the fact that dumb and dumber constantly monitor the reviews and they designate someone to write positive ones. Unfortunately for them it is very obvious that the positive reviews are not legitimate.
Bottom line: it is only a matter of time before this company implodes as there is absolutely no direction or leadership guiding the company towards growth or sustainability.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere isn't advice that could help you at this point

Worst run Finance organization this side of Enron

Accountant (Current Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time

ProsYou are seated near the executives so you get entertainment. Free coffee and sometimes popcorn.

ConsYou are expected to work 24/7. Every process is manual. If you need 3 people to get something done, you are told to work the weekend. Every Saturday you hear - "all hands on deck" to get yet another crisis done. You are micro-managed but at the same time there is no leadership AT ALL!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt can't be all profit. Invest some money in your company or you will lose it. It is dangerously close to going off the rails right now. If 2 of the right folks left it would just fall apart.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Success is a complex combination of skill and luck

Engineering Program Director (Current Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, nice office, across the street from BART. I worked at the company when it was just starting to grow and it was great to get that experience. However...

ConsThe founders (CEO and Board Chair) are incomprehensibly short sighted and cheap, have very poor leadership and business skills, and are complete jerks to people. The CEO doesn't know how to lie (he has classic tells that any parent can see through and he can't hide them from anyone), and the Board Chair believes he can inspire and motivate people with a potent combination of his own awesomeness, his own personal wealth, and verbal abuse.

A few items to consider:
- They have their admin post fake positive reviews on glassdoor on a regular basis because they have very poor ratings and are struggling to hire good talent.
- One of the few things they are (were) good at is hiring executives. Their executive teams made the company successful and made them rich. However, once the company was successful, they started bypassing and over ruling their executives and drove them out - they can't tolerate anyone that disagrees with them. They've been turning over their executive team on a regular basis.
- It is (or was) a startup so the compensation is below average and the hours are long - this is normal for a startup and I don't think people should complain about this if they want to work for a startup. However, the motivation to make these sacrifices is an equity share and a good experience (good leadership will ensure a positive and supportive work environment to help keep people motivated and focused) - both of these are lacking to say the least.
- The CEO and Board Chair threaten to fire people on a regular basis as a means to inspire and motivate them.
- The CEO and Board Chair believe they are geniuses - and fire anyone who challenges or disagree with them. Thus the high turn-over in senior management.

IMOHO, the founders became successful due a combination of their own luck and the skill of their team. But it's apparent that they are banking more and more on luck (they are unable to distinguish their luck from their own awesome business skill), less on skill, and tempting fate in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a good management team, let them do a better job than you could ever hope to do so you can get even richer, value your employees and treat them like human beings and with respect, get some therapy, learn some basic empathy skills, and take a few remedial leadership classes.

Principal Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at YapStone full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood co-workers. Standard benefits and compensation. Since it's a smaller company, your work has more of an impact.

ConsLong work hours. Management team is driven to work their engineers very hard with tight deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees better work life balance.

Sad place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at YapStone as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you need a job, something to put on a resume, and you're in the East Bay, you could do worse. Maybe.

ConsCEO seemed like a jerk. Never seen an executive belittle his employees so much. Very disrespectful environment. Low pay, long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think I talked to a single person who had been at the company longer than two years. There's a reason. Unprofessional environment.

If want to own your work, pursue passion projects & collab with brilliant, driven people - you will thrive at YapStone

Senior Manager, Marketing (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time for less than a year

ProsI work out of the Santa Monica office, right on Ocean Ave. with a view of the water from my desk. It's a small office (30-ish people) so it's a more intimate work environment than Walnut Creek. Not better, just different. I appreciate the fact that I know everyone's name but sometimes, it's just easier being at HQ in Walnut Creek.

It's true, a large portion of staff are new to the company (joined in the last year). It means the company is going to have to make dedicated effort to cement the brand. But at the same time, new faces and new perspectives are vital to the growth of the company. YapStone is looking for fresh ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit... this type of culture might not be a great fit for everyone (but it is for me).

As far as senior management, Santa Monica houses the SVP of Marketing, SVP of Business Development and the Chairman/Co-Founder. All 3 are scary smart but they also happen to be very nice guys. And as for direct management, after 6 months of working in Marketing, I am glad to report that I've actively seen my boss support my decisions, implement my recommendations and fight for our department's autonomy, staffing needs & budget. He also encourages the team to grow in skillset and personal development. High expectations? Beyond a doubt. But he provides the support to get the job done which is not always the case at other companies.

Perks/benefits include work/life balance (my evenings & weekends are quiet), free snacks & beverages, killer company parties, free flu shots, and this year, they introduced upgraded medical/dental benefits at a much lower cost. I also want to note that YapStone employs no less than 4 women at a VP-level or above #leanin

Lastly, I completely disagree with other reviewers in regards to competitive compensation. My package was in keeping with my location, level of experience, and for the given responsibilities. For the level of work I provide (which is to say, excellent), YapStone reciprocates in very competitive pay.

ConsAs I mentioned above, new faces mean a change of perspective (a good thing). But on the flip side, having a fairly new workforce is not without its challenges. The company has to work doubly hard to build and fortify company culture and to restate brand positioning and values even at the department level. Overall, YapStone is still working out the kinks but even in the 6 months I've been here, I've seen progress and am encouraged.

YapStone isn't stellar about internal communication. As we ramp up our production of original content, bring in more industry experts, and contribute to the payments industry conversation as a whole, we need to do a better job about evangelizing our brand from the inside out. As a Marketing team member, I am super eager to start working on this.

Advice to Senior ManagementA bit self-serving but I would love to see the 'promote from within' culture further reinforced. Take promotions public with a company announcement? Top tier talent wants to be nurtured and promotions and personal dev opportunities are a great way to retain your A-players.

Company has the possibility of being a great co but is being dragged down by poor management at the VP level.

Client Services (Former Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at YapStone full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing coworkers / peers that give 110% even when it's not recognized.

ConsA lot of people blame the CEO for Yapstone's issues but the real problem is the lack of knowledge, HR policies and understanding of CA employment laws at the VP level. Long hours, lack of ethics and broken promises regarding increases make for a very unhappy work environment. The majority of employees start looking for a new position within the first 6 months of employment which is why the turn over rate is so incredibly high.
Yapstone has the ability to be a great company...it's obvious that Matt and Tom put their hearts and soles into this company...their only downfall is that they aren't aware of what is really going on and how unhappy the WC staff is.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO Matt Golis and Tom Valante really need to realize how bad the morale is in WC before they lose anymore valuable employees.

YapStone is in growth mode, becoming a stronger/ better company with every passing day

I have been working at YapStone full-time for less than a year

ProsMy experience with YapStone has been great. While I understand there have been growing pains, that is truly expected with a company that is growing at such a rapid pace. It is an exciting young company and I am happy to be a part of it.

ConsThere are some employees that are no longer passionate about the company; I feel as though life is too short to not enjoy what you do for 40+ hrs a week. If you are no longer excited about the growth, changes and what's to come, it's probably time for you to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the changes you are making .

Horriblw

I have been working at YapStone as an intern

Prosnone nothing is good about this place

Conszero organization, horrible management needs to change

Advice to Senior Managementget out

Worked for YapStone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YapStone reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YapStone CEO Matthew Golis. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by YapStone employees.