YapStone Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
Tom Villante

Pros
  • There are some really good people who work here and everyone has a positive attitude (in 5 reviews)

• Free coffee and sometimes popcorn (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management writes their own review here to help boost their actual ratings (in 6 reviews)

• Thus the high turn-over in senior management (in 4 reviews)

Great engineers, terrible management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great engineers to work with, awesome things you can learn by doing instead of being told what to do.

Cons

Management does not know what it's doing. Engineering managers especially don't seem to have a clue about engineering, and like to micromanage like hawks.

Advice to Management

Try keeping people around long enough for them to actually build your product. Hire engineering managers who know a thing or two about engineering.

Not the same anymore....

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some - good People to work with. - Paycheck - Location close to BART - Breakfast and happy-hour every week

Cons

The company was beginning to march in the right direction until a slew of Management departures earlier this year. Morale is pretty low and there is almost no transparency on the direction the company is heading. Attrition rate is increasing

Advice to Management

- Share with employees Company's goals and vision regularly - Keep employees informed on customer wins & why what we build matters

Great people Horrible work enviroment

Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

close to bart, free gym membership,weekly breakfast and social hour,free snacks and nice people

Cons

the is absolutely no structure in the company, and the turnover rate among employees i higher than I have ever seen. I have been with Yapstone for less than a year and began looking for a new job within the first few months of employment. They do not abide by any California laws regarding breaks and lunches. There is no consideration given to employees with children despite California Kincare law which allows employees time off to care for their sick children. Employees in the call center are required to work 12 hour shifts,6 days a week for the first week of every month even if they haven't had any training. The President and several key members of senior management have left the company in the last few months and no one has addressed it or taken the time to reassure the current employees of the future of the company. I would not recommend this company to anyone unless you are desperate and really need a paycheck. There is no room for growth, no performance and recognition program. Like others have said it reminds me of a sweatshop and i dread coming to work everyday

Advice to Management

instead of making excuses and giving generic responses to these reviews you should really take heed to what everyone is saying about this company. Every review is not a disgruntled employee. There are some really smart people here that want to make changes for the better but upper management is not concerned with losing talent because we are all replaceable. You don't think it is strange we have gone through 3 accountants in less than a year? The talent is this company will continue to leave until major changes are made in this company, but I seriously doubt it will happen and I can't wait until I can give my notice as well, but I know I am not important since my vp walks by my desk everyday and doesn't even speak to me. That is the culture around here!

Yapstone has gone downhill since the new CTO joined.

Current Employee - Engineer in Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Walnut, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yapstone is a good platform, and there are many smart people working hard everyday. Many product teams servicing different products, e.g. mobile, international business, vacation homes etc.

Cons

Yapstone has gone downhill since the new CTO Daniel Issen has joined. The nicest way to put him is that he is a genius jerk, period. He manipulates everyone who works under him. Engineering managers and top executives have been quitting since he joined. He basically turned this place to a sweat shop. One example would be: everyone has to come to work before 9:00 am. There is a meeting scheduled every morning with your respect managers every morning, so you can't really miss it. And nobody is allowed to work from home.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, we are all humans and have family. No need to be so harsh on everything we do. Hiring Daniel is probably the worst call the CEO has made. He brought all his followers to Yapstone. And one day when he leaves Yapstone, the company would literally be paralyzed to operate as his followers would also leave.

Decent job

I worked at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, snacks, options for dining within walking distance. Close to BART, secure parking, my department had a wonderful manager. Always something to do, days are never boring. Great coworkers, good hard working people with a great sense of humor as well.

Cons

A lot of people felt overworked, esp in customer service (12 hr shifts, 6 days a week during mandatory ot). This company seemed to underpay their employees at all levels. Some departments had favoritism going on, i.e., people that were promoted should not have been.

Advice to Management

Try to keep pay competitive with similar positions in the area. Pay attention to some departments as favoritism is going on and is not fair.

Financial Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upon my hire after long term employment in another industry, Yapstone has provided a wonderful place to come every day.. Collaborating daily with like minded and productive team members in many area's that are futuristic and immersed in dual industries. Payment methods are rapidly changing and we are on the forefront of the market niche in regards to real estate. I have watched so many employed here think of a concept idea and move through implementation success of countless processes, I've never had someone say no to an idea. The sky is the limit in terms of opportunities. Work life balance far surpasses other local employers and co-workers are allot of fun as well.

Cons

Some turnover is true, but forward facing in terms of current and future development of our products, I can see why many changes to the business were necessary , perhaps more communication internally.

Unorganized, unprofessional, sub par company headed for disaster

Former Employee - Former Dedicated Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Former Dedicated Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Steady paycheck Some awesome hard working employees that deserve so much more than what YapStone is offering.

Cons

Unprofessional-This company has been around for over 15 years however due to their inability to retain talent they will continue to struggle. This company coined the phrase "Mickey Mouse operation" Lower than average pay- From the customer support team (who works overwhelming hard and long hours) to low-mid management, it is truly disgraceful the compensation that is offered at a technology company in the bay area that claims to be "changing how the world pays" Employees are encouraged to provide input and share ideas- However once a employee speaks up and presents ideas and practices that would improve the current process they are shot down and often profiled negatively.

Advice to Management

During the interview process I did inquiry why there were so many VP and mid-manager positions opened. I was told that the company was growing and that due to the increase in size new positions were opening up. I now I know better. When I first joined YapStone I had so much hope and promise for this company. I had so many fresh ideas in which my team could implement to help grow and improve current process. However due to YapStone's outdated system and manual approach which is laughable as they attempt to place themselves in the arena of the tech industry. I was constantly shot down and told due to the outdated tools the Product and Engineering team had to work with, my ideas could not come to life. There are so many problems with day to day operations which have been presented only to be shelved. How can a company be so unconcern with improving their product? It is completely frustrating to have so much passion and drive for a company that is not willing to step up and improve. There are so many dedicated hardworking employees that are unappreicated by YapStone. It's no wonder that YapStone is averaging 1-3 resignations per week. Good employees can only take so much of YapStones foolishness before jumping ship. YapStone employees deserve BETTER. It was the beginning of end when the President of the company Kelly Kay left followed by; VP of people, VP of payments, VP of Engineering, VP of Legal and countless other support staff. Not to mention the cold and heartless lay offs recently to dedicated employees that had been with YapStone for years! I'm not a disgruntled employee but a former Yapper that just reached the end of their rope, I'm so completely disappointed in the current business practices and unfair treatment of hard working employees. To my former Yappers- I know how you feel, I battled with it myself for some time but at the end of the day, do what is best for you. YapStone is only getting worse. You can not grow your career at a company that is headed for disaster. Do yourself a favor and start looking for employment, you owe it yourself. To candidates seeking work- If you are a harding working person with fresh ideas wanting to make a difference, wanting to work for a company that you can believe in, YapStone is not it. Save yourself the grief and keep looking. Tom- I'm well aware that you are in the business of making money but you have to keep in mind to do this, you need a strong and dedicated team. NO ONE with talent and substance is going to be onboard with the way you are choosing to run YapStone to the ground. It is extremely important to address all lay offs and resignations that have been occurring like crazy for the past two months. Your employees are NOT HAPPY and you will continue to lose GREAT and TALENTED people with your poor business practices. I do NOT wish you success, I only wish you clarity to see the error of your ways. It is only with that clarify you can succeed.

Things may have changed...

Pros

Growing product and company, services many new areas.

Cons

Top heavy management. Direction was unclear in 2012. Egos and lack of employee support were ingredients for lack of motivation and ultimately success. Major competition on the apartment side now.

to be avoided...

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at YapStone (More than 3 years)

Pros

The quality of the engineering staff when I started working there 3 years ago was excellent. Everyone was very helpful and we all worked together. However the high turnover rate was always alarming. Many of those excellent engineers were gone by my 3rd year of employment. There aren't many 'pros' left in this place...if any at all. This is not a place that fosters satisfying employment. It should be avoided.

Cons

The latest CTO was hired this spring and he has added to the chaos as evidenced by the latest reviews and the plummeting overall rating. - Very high turnover. - No clear vision from upper management. It's very chaotic. - Work life balance is nonexistent which in turn leads to that very high turnover. - There is no transparency in the decision making process. Everything is secretive. As an employee, you have no idea what is expected of you.

Sorry I quit

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kitchen is decent, good, humble co-workers.

Cons

When I was there it felt like I was always swimming in opposite direction with the *new* changes. Nothing was clear, process and new technologies that were clearly not working were announced as dramatic success in all hands meetings. I felt very puzzled with where all this was going. Most people understood and wanted change but not that it was happening by sidelining existing teams. Job as a developer is quite stressful due to it's nature, add bad communication and confusion and gun on your head, imagine what it would be like. I quit and would not recommend anyone to join Yapstone.

Advice to Management

People need help. See if you can.

RSS Feed </> Embed