YapStone Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
3.1
Tom Villante

Pros
  • There are some really good people who work here and everyone has a positive attitude (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance, ideas are heard (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management writes their own review here to help boost their actual ratings (in 6 reviews)

• Thus the high turn-over in senior management (in 4 reviews)

I have nothing to complain about

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since I've been here, my experience has been nothing short of excellent. I am a person that enjoys a creating and developing things and Yapstone provided that experience for me. There is room for growth here and you can be part of something special if you up to pushing yourself.

I've heard people complain about the growth issue, but every company has growing pains. In my opinion it takes a strong person to not just weather storms and rocky seas, but to help find ways to make sailing smooth.

The culture is very supportive and no-one can reasonably say otherwise.

Also, I really like the fact that management looks for ways to make working here comfortable. Here is a list of things that I've enjoyed:
    - Happy hour each week. Drinks, hors d'oeuvres, hanging out.
    - Ping pong table ( newly installed)
    - Parties, celebrations
    - Movie days
    - BBQ's
    - Breakfast every Wednesday
    - Free snacks, fruit.

We even had a mini Olympics where we did hula hoop!

In a nut shell, this place is pretty cool and there are only negatives if you choose to view them as one.

Cons

None. I don't see much issues. I would really be nitpicking.

Just keep doing what you're doing.

2. Company looking to cut costs no matter what....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at YapStone (more than a year)

Pros

The Headquarters is close to BART and they have happy hours once a week. Managers will sometimes take teams to lunch.

New ping pong table and free coffee/snacks.

Cons

Managers ask for feedback...and when employees in their department provide it they will never see the ideas come to fruition as engineering is completely overwelmed. Yapstone has frozen/eliminated positions in nearly every department or outsourced many of the tasks to third party firms to reduce head count and overhead costs. Management has also cleaned house in several departments or simply forced people out, leaving the remaining staff overwelmed with additional tasks yet not additionally compensated.

Do not expect a 401k company match...there is none. Do not expect significant employee training...there is no centralized training beyond a simple company orientation. Would you like a raise for your dedicated hard work....forget it. Many of my former colleagues asked for a small raise after a year with Yapstone and we're repeatedly denied or ignored and eventually leaving for better companies with a happier workforce.

The COO and VP of Risk both left within a month of one another....so it looks as though many high level managers are jumping ship due to the company's alleged poor fiscal stance.

For those in upper management who have not resigned or been fired...please empower your teams through inspirational leadership and not the fear of being replaced by someone else who will do the job for less to improve productivity.

3. nice people, disorganized company

Current Employee - Engineer in Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Walnut, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

office environment is nice, good people. it seems as though if they could keep teams together for longer the company would do great

Cons

company is disorganized and lacks clear leadership, all new management is still working out the kinks. seem to underpay at all levels

organize

Dollars and cents over growth and conscious

I worked at YapStone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Yapstone is great because if you are looking to find opportunity you'll find it here. The people are great I'm more than sure you'll find it a fun environment! Free snacks.

Cons

I found mobility to be difficult, deceitful, inefficient and that was the deal breaker for me. They work you to death, at least in the role that I was in, because they lack the man power during their busy periods. The compensation is NOT competitive unless you're in a very skilled position which even then you may be under the potential for a similar position in the bay area. You'll find that they boast about revenue, and you'd think, well why do people not get better compensation? Or, if there's "rapid growth" where is the internal considerations/development towards promotions? Work-life balance was terrible during the time that I was there. When you ask to be guided and be developed, you'll get advice, but you're on your own to actually make that change happen. Trust, this isn't a place to be at entry level, but for those with skill and an opening for a midlevel available, go for it. I'm sure it'll be a project you'll love since they need a lot of help to become uberly successful.

Matt, Tom, and Kelly, you all are inspirational people. Truly, you give drive to those that want YapStone to be great. But to those still learning the ins and outs, it's pretty daunting to see so much hippocracy and poor, and I mean truly poor, development policies in talent acquisition/hr. Figure that out, trust you'll be able to retain loyal and quality employees that way. If not you'll see more people like me telling others to stay away on glassdoor.

To be honest, I also believe that some of these posts are falsely generated...

Great opportunity with a company that has a very bright future

Former Employee - In Marketing Department
    Former Employee - In Marketing Department

I worked at YapStone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at YapStone for almost two years. Started right after grad school. I worked hard and gained a lot. Made great friends that I still keep in touch with. I left the company on great terms. I only left because another opportunity came up in a field that was outside the tech industry, and something I wanted to try. I would recommend working here. They have developed a strong leadership team and management and exec management were great to work with.

Great people, great to work with. Great opportunity to learn a lot and be part of a company that is growing very quickly and has a very bright future.

Cons

Fast growing company so sometimes communication between the different offices was difficult. Lots of video conference meetings etc. But its something that got significantly better as I worked there.

Appreciate the effort for team building and culture development. The happy hours, parties, and department lunches were great! Being able to work fly out and work in other cities was something that I appreciated a lot.

ambitious but no structure

Former Employee - Engineer in Walnut, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Walnut, CA

I worked at YapStone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work hard-play hard attitude, weekly happy hour, unlimited snacks and soda, free valet parking, close to BART, gym membership, monthly team outings, work hours are flexible (depending on manager)

Cons

lack of structure/policy; if you have a question about a work process each employee will give you a different answer, long work hours for the call center (week long 12 hour shifts and two 30 min breaks that can't be combined) benefits packaged could be improved, promotions for wrong reasons

hiring and keeping quality/senior employees should equal increased pay. if this happens maybe more employees would stay. a promotion/more tasks should result in increased pay. instead what happens is that people are promoted or given new job titles with no monetary increase. aim for consistency and improve structure or protocol. sometimes it seems like no one knows what's going on or what to do.

8. Headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has hired the right senior leaders and is focused on fixing its shortcomings. I've only worked here for a short time, but other employees feel the same way. The culture is fun and casual - almost like a throwback to the dotcom boom era.

We've just moved into a new office building, so the crowding that some people had mentioned on Glassdoor is a thing of the past. The new office space feels open and modern and has some nice touches.

The company has stated they've fixed their salary structure to make it more competitive and I can attest to that. My salary is definitely comparable to what other companies would pay for my position.

There are some really good people who work here and everyone has a positive attitude. The employees are dedicated to making this a great place to work.

Cons

The recent turnover of senior leaders and disgruntled employees has left some knowledge gaps and created a little disorganization, but these are necessary growing pains.

Keep hiring, keep it fun, and let's continue on the path to becoming a more mature and disciplined company. There's a lot of work to do, but we need to stay the course.

9. Fast growing company with many opportunities to succeed!

I have been working at YapStone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is growing fast and they are hiring for many new positions! Senior Management has an open door policy - they are approachable and value the opinions of their team and other departments. What sets YapStone apart is the work hard, play hard approach. Yes, there is alot of work to do in a fast paced environment - but they still find time for team building activities, weekly happy hours, company parties, outings etc. Employees are fun, friendly and they enjoy their jobs. Great health benefits to choose from and vacation days are easy to accrue (and use). Location is convenient, next to BART Walnut Creek. Overall, YapStone is the total package!

Cons

Yes, you have to work here. If you want to show up, pick up a paycheck and do the bare minimum - this is not the place for you. There is alot of work to do and with the fast growth of this company, you must adapt to the new needs that come with this growth.

Invest in your star employees with increased compensation, bonuses, and equity so that they are not lured away by other companies. You have made significant changes to improve the culture at YapStone and it is working!

Great perks no structure

Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone (less than a year)

Pros

I have been employed with this company less than 90 days and I am already looking for a new job. It's not all bad.....my pay is competitive, I like having input on workflow decisions, free gym membership,snacks,social hour and other benefits make this a great place to work. But the lack of structure makes it hard to do your job efficiently. This job kind of reminds me of high school...people are all in cliques and are not that nice to newcomers. Although it is a very laid back enviroment, if you are not apart of the in crowd which includes some members of management you will feel very out of place.

Cons

The company does not abide by any California laws regarding breaks and lunches, no kincare, ineffective training for new hires. Alot of people who work here are more focused on having fun at work than actually working.

11. Yapstone is a Good company to work for!

Current Contractor - QA - INT/HVI in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Contractor - QA - INT/HVI in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The employees are happy, confident, laid back, not much politics, it's a very relaxed atmosphere, which is rare to be found in CA. I joined 3 months back I was nervous in the beginning but then relaxed down as the people around me are so relaxed. I love working here! I joined as a contractor and they already asked if I would like to join full time - I Love working here!

Cons

not much cons to fill !

Hmm, I'm good!