Yard House Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
3.4

Harald Herrmann

Pros
  • We had a great staff and made good money (in 5 reviews)

• Got along well with co-workers, great food, and dedication will reward you well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, foot soldiers catering to employees, no quality of life, eat quickly on break, (in 7 reviews)

• Also, the front desk has a tendency to double seat you (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Perfect if your comfortable in staying in one position for a long time

I have been working at Yard House

Pros

I loved the fun staff and how energizing the atmosphere can be during busy dinner nights.

Cons

The main challenge of Yard House is moving up within the company. Don't expect a promotion or a raise soley based on talent and performance. In addition, you'll have to do a lot of "reminding" which can come off as nagging in order to climb your way up.
    Another con can be the slow periods during the weekdays. Like any other restaurant, employees may experience the long ticking minutes on the clock as a slow death of boredom.

One of the best restaurants to work for. Great tips!!

Current Employee - Busser  in  Oxnard, CA
    Current Employee - Busser in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at Yard House part-time for more than a year

Pros

401k if you work here more than a year. 50% off on the food if your working. You get this online Darden Mall which saves you tons of money in just about anything from movie tickets, cruises, theme parks, vacations, flights, clothes, etc.

Cons

Some employees slack off and get away with things.

Don't have favoritism and recognize those who work hard.

Not enough money for the work.

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Bartender in Meridian, ID

I worked at Yard House full-time for less than a year

Pros

Always busy. Fun group of people. Great bar manager.

Cons

Servers were making almost double what bartenders made. And we were literally sweating to keep up with the well. They only tipped out 1.25% of sales. Ridiculous for the work. Also, beyond corporate. And the GM, or former GM, was a terrible boss.

Pay your bartenders better and enforce a more typical tipout percentage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

YardHouse was ok, I had previously worked as a server and managemen convinced me to be an expo first during the intervie

Current Employee - Food Runner  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Food Runner in Miami, FL

I have been working at Yard House part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management was easy to communicate with, excellent training

Cons

Too Strict, Very Corporate, Very Long Weekend Shifts

Great company to work for that allows room to grow and advance in the industry!

Current Employee - Server  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yard House part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a great training program that allows you to really gain knowledge on the company and preform to your best ability. The staff is very kind and welcoming and everyone seems to enjoy coming to work. You are set up for success. Opportunities to advance are there for you if you want to further your career. Very guest friendly

Cons

Cant wear earrings bigger than a quarter. But thats really no big deal. My time here has been short but I can not think of any cons specifically related to working for this company.

They really care about their employees. Management is always on the floor making sure everyone is okay and the guest are enjoying their experience. They believe in teamwork and I thinks it works well! Hot schedules is great!

Good Restaurant to work in

Former Employee - Food Runner
    Former Employee - Food Runner

I worked at Yard House part-time

Pros

Great management, atmosphere and place to work at.

Cons

A very corporate company, which can weigh down on you.

Great if you're the customer, managers work hard pushed to the max and under appreciated

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager  in  Cazzell, MO
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Cazzell, MO

I have been working at Yard House full-time

Pros

structured growing concept plenty of room for advancement

Cons

the same structure that makes it great makes it hard to love what you do. Very strict on hourly and meeting company standards

Restaurant Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Yard House full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Reputable company with excellent food and awesome selection of beer!

Cons

Depending on the store your at you work hard! They get their money's worth out of you your bussing tables, running food, running drinks from the bar, seating guest, etc... it's just over whelming and no one that works for the company be it manager, server, or bartender is ever really comfortable always on edge for fear of being fired or wrote up. It's a huge catch 22 hold the staff accountable but in turn they can hold you accountable if you don't do what they ask of you. For what they pay just does not balance for the stress you deal with drunks, fights, late nights were talking 3:30am if your closing on weekends plus double HH Mon through Weds. No thanks! P.S all the management is cut throat and will throw you under the bus in 2 seconds. Funny thing is all the corporate people who use to work at the main office in Irvine were let go cause Darden bought YH and we're given the opportunity to go back in the restaurants and 90% said no cause they know what they would be in for. Lol!

Good luck.

Good atmosphere, good culture

Former Employee - Server  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Diego, CA

I worked at Yard House part-time for more than a year

Pros

Structured in a good way, advancement opportunities, benefits available if you want them. You learn a lot about beer! Lots of staff and management on every shift. Staff is recognized and rewarded for good work.

Cons

Hotschedules can be really impersonal. Mistakes are held against you. Sometimes being really corporate restricts flexibility and some things really strict.

Try to stay flexible. Just because it's corporate does mean everything is black and white.

Great company for dedicated team members.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Yard House part-time for less than a year

Pros

Performance based pay and scheduling is great for team members that work hard.

Cons

For how consistently busy this restaurant is, they have very limited resources for servers. For example, having one beverage station makes it impossible to get drinks in the amount of time expected of us especially when it is busy.

Worked for Yard House? Contribute to the Community!