Yard House Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Harald Herrmann

Pros
  • They have a great training program that allows you to really gain knowledge on the company and preform to your best ability (in 6 reviews)

• We had a great staff and made good money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, short of staff at times and you v have to work longer (in 8 reviews)

• Also, the front desk has a tendency to double seat you (in 5 reviews)

1. Porter/Prep

Former Employee - Porter/Dishwasher/Prep in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Porter/Dishwasher/Prep in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Yard House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits,awesome food &every kind of beer on tap!!!

Cons

Certain Managers manipulate the performances of some employees, to give acknowledgement to those that are undeserving...

Advice to Management

Treat everybody the same.

2. Wonderful Restaurant to work at...

Former Employee - FOH Manager
    Former Employee - FOH Manager

Pros

Yard House is a wonderful restaurant with a great atmosphere and has a strong foundation. The quality of food and service is very good. The employees are upheld to a high standard and the company is very consistent across the board on rules and disciplinary action which makes for a great working environment.

Cons

As a manager the hours are very long and it can be very taxing. Managers are on their feet for the majority of their shifts and are expected to be extremely active. Schedule can be difficult because the shifts are so long and you jump around opening closing and mid. You can be asked to move around a lot to different locations some being far from where you live.

Advice to Management

When I worked there the company was doing a fabulous job in all aspects. The most important thing I would say to management is just keep doing what your doing because it is working.

3. A look back

Former Employee - Bartender Traveling Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Bartender Traveling Trainer in Boston, MA

Pros

Amazing training program. No one hits the floor without having all of the necessary tools. They set you up for success. Well known parent company so the policy's and regulations are sound.

Cons

Due to the large nature of the company(s) they don't always value the person. It's by the book and that's the only way. Reprocussions are the same for a time clock infringement or if you show up to work drunk. Sometimes the book needs to be pushed aside and speak as individuals.

Advice to Management

You are great, I know the handbook is the end all be all, but I wish that management could find a way to make the necessary changes to it so the staff felt more like a member of the team not just a number.

5. Great Culture

I have been working at Yard House full-time

Pros

Amazing Culture, more than competitive pay for the position, 6th fastest expanding restaurant concept.

Cons

Long hour, very busy restaurant

6. Started as expo, became a server, never got to be a trainer.

Former Employee - Server in West Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Server in West Nyack, NY

Pros

I was hired to expo and they said I could become a server within six months. They followed through on this promise. Decent tips year round. Management did a good job fostering teamwork amongst the servers and between different departments. Management also took the time to listen to my concerns and evaluate employee feedback despite the limitations of the corporate structure. Food wasn't half bad either. They also give me the employee discount whenever I eat there despite having left over six months ago.

Cons

I also wanted to be a trainer which they led me to believe I could do but after many months of being strung along I finally got fed up and left. Ridiculously large menu not only for food but also drinks. The whole point of yard house is the beer menu so you can't complain about that portions size but everything else was a bit much. No shift meal is a con. They are cheap about adding on to what you want to eat, for example I had to charge something outrageous like $1.29 to add a second slice of cheese to my burger and they kitchen staff is told to inform management if someone tries to just write it in.

Advice to Management

Management overall is good however in the two years I worked there from when they opened the store we must have seen over 25 managers come and go including 3 general managers. The company itself or perhaps Darden needs to do a better job hiring or maintaining their management staff.

Corporate Trainer

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer

I worked at Yard House (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, organized company, helpful management

Cons

Lots to learn, but the more you know the better it is

8. Yard house is great but the management is flawed!

Current Employee - Food Server in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Yard House part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good money, great environment to sell food and drinks. Hot schedules is an app that is very nice to use for scheduling, it helps keep it flexible and creates a great opportunity to make good money while in school. I have made a lot of friends at YH too!

Cons

The menu is huge and there is A LOT to know, the management is horrible. It feels like the managers are out of control and have a mega power trip. All of the managers are having love affairs with servers or hosts although some are married. Just very unethical and a big lack of respect, makes going to work a lot less fun than it could be. Also a lot of sexual harrassment and blackmail.

Advice to Management

keep it professional and be team players!

9. bad choice

I worked at Yard House part-time

Pros

did not like it at all. i guess the only benefit would be fast money but that is about it.

Cons

the hours are terrible. the people around you are mean. the managers don't care about you. everybody is out for themselves.

Advice to Management

fire all of the managers and get all new staff. make sure they are very nice people and have good morals.

10. Great company, not so great management.

I worked at Yard House part-time

Pros

The company seemed like a great company to work for. They had great benefits available and training was the best I have ever seen.

Cons

The management team had a hard time following through with what the company was trying to portray.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep up your end of the bargain. You promise to keep everything butterflys and rainbows and then belittle your team when they ask for help.

11. Had fun

Pros

Its is a nice place to work

Cons

Don't really have anything bad to say

RSS Feed </> Embed