Yardi Systems Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
3.5

Yardi Systems President Anant Yardi
Anant Yardi

Pros
  • Friendly co-workers, casual dress code, good benefits and salary is OK after changing to exempt (in 11 reviews)

• In general the work environment is positive and not stressful (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Much room for growth in technical positions but growth in my position would only come years down the line (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing, generally well-managed company: an Industry leader with a unique holistic company culture.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Yardi Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

With a great location, an international staff, and a great growth strategy, it's difficult to criticize this company. It makes money. It encourages managers to help employees, and account managers to be customer focused. It creates support and development teams that integrate well with their customer bases. Management seems to take the long view, is internationally focused, and supports environmental issues and local culture. While salaries lag behind industry standards a bit, and team members may struggle with internal localization issues, there is NOT an expectation of unsustainable work hours or intensive political maneuvering within the company. This is not a bad place for women and parents to work, unlike most software industries, with one major caveat, noted below. With a few fairly small adjustments to the work hour policy, the salary approach, and internal communications, this would be a 5 star company.

Cons

First, Yardi has a great, open-minded approach to the world and the community, but can be a bit suspicious of new employees. Since many people stay with the company for a very long time, there is long period of proving yourself when you start. While this prevents the destructive "golden boy" syndrome that is rampant in software, it also gets in the way of a seasoned new employee's performance potential.

Second, there is a word-of-mouth internal information network that has some pitfalls, especially for new employees. An internal knowledge management process and system with points of contact in each department would improve efficiency by miles. It appears that this is a fairly normal growth issue, but one that management should address, and one which would change the information culture

Finally, the company has an extreme adherence to onsite work and a core hour policy that does not allow single parents to pick up their kids and work at home occasionally to make up for school schedule issues. Parents must live with no vacation time for the first five years, unless they work out other arrangements with their managers, which puts everyone in an awkward spot. The current family-friendly business mantra is flexibility, and while Yardi is flexible in many regards, it doesn't formally support family schedules and needs. Again, the insistence on a core-hours policy that does not fit the local school schedules (by 30 minutes!) and absolutely never working at home for employees on location, gives employees a sense that they are not trusted, and makes life more difficult for parents.... not that this company is unique in these issues, but it seems counter to the overall management/HR strategy.

Keep doing everything you are doing. Encourage managers to motivate high performing workers with a bit more salary. Ask for somewhat clearer goals. Provide better internal product information, and a way to allow people with children to manage their time a little better.

Great company and upper management

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yardi Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good corporate culture and great upper management.

Cons

Doesn't seem to be a lot of personal growth or advancement promoted.

As with any company, it seems certain people advance due to their ability to promote themselves to their manager instead of on their merits as a leader. As a result we have a very high turnover due to these certain managers inability to properly manage or communicate with employees.

I love working here!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Yardi Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a great environment that is relaxed, and I love my co-workers. You also get to wear jeans! They have great benefits, and management will stand behind you.

Cons

The company could do a much better job of staying connected across offices. They really struggle to maintain consistency when delivering policies/procedures between offices. Also the department you are in really makes a difference on advancement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

I have been working at Yardi Systems

Pros

great place to work for

Cons

no cons that I can think of

Fair

I have been working at Yardi Systems

Pros

The people are great. Great entry-level place.

Cons

Below average pay. Decisions from upper management to fix problems are slow.

No career path

I have been working at Yardi Systems full-time

Pros

~Company is growing and seems financially stable
    ~Low stress, casual environment
    ~Company-paid healthcare
    ~401(k)

Cons

~The company requires employees to stay in their current position for two years before moving to a different position; this effectively stifles career growth.
    ~Many corporate jobs which could be done remotely remain unfilled because they require relocation to Santa Barbara.

It's a virtual world out there; experiment with allowing some non-sales corporate jobs to be done outside of HQ and you may find some amazing talent.

A large growing corporation with the private owner

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Yardi Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in a large corporation has advantages – stable environment, good benefits…. However, it is very often that an employee, especially employee with ideas, feels lost in a big company. The extreme case of a large corporation is a socialistic state, which suppresses internal competition
    The corporation is large – about 4000 employees. A health insurance for employees is free. The company hires a negotiator specifically to help employees for dealing with insurance companies – it is a nice service I had never seen before. For several years of work I have never seen any layoffs and the number of employees is constantly growing. As far as I know employees get annual raise. Having flexible holidays is nice too. In general the work environment is positive and not stressful. There is also the significant employer contribution to the 401K plan.
    The large company still has the private owner -Mr. Yardi. When Mr. Yardi visited our facility he after meeting with managers greeted software developers and QA managers by names - it was touching. The HR vice president told me that Mr. Yardi during project discussions asks specifically about the input of every developer involved in the project.

Cons

The company is growing, and the hierarchical structure gets stricter. In 2013 the Yardi employees overwhelmingly reviewed the corporation positively (about 90%) in terms of work environment, benefits, salary, and stability. However, the opportunities for career growth got only about 55% of approval. I also was not promoted in terms of my position and I did not understand the criteria for possible promotion.
    Mr. Yardi promised to work on this issue, ordering managers to set up reasonable career goals for employees.

Enjoyable Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yardi Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team is pleasant to work with, both locally and across locations. There is opportunity for professional growth. Work life balance is important to this company.

Cons

You have to be flexible and willing to work on whatever project needs attention. Unless you have a window seat, the office feels a little tight.

The occasional off-site would be nice. Thank you for working so hard.

Some improvements, but...

I have been working at Yardi Systems

Pros

Friendly co-workers, casual dress code, good benefits and salary is OK after changing to exempt.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement. After recent CSD structure change it is the same old people in charge with new titles. Lots of yes men in management who tell the owner what he wants to hear instead of what is really going on. Cloud services is completely broken with people waiting days and days for upgrades for database restores and upgrades and CSD left to make excuses for why the problems aren't solved yet.

Do another survey and read the answers.

Very stable company that is growing at over 20% in spite of itself

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive

I have been working at Yardi Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really strong product (widely recognized as best in the industry)
    Sales team staffed with good people
    If you have the right manager there are some great ones
    Company treats you well, good healthcare, profit sharing, etc.
    No micro-management in sales

Cons

Lower pay than other comparable companies
    Don't utilize many of the technologies that we sell
    Slow to make changes because all big decisions go through the top 5 or 6 people in a company of over 3000 people
    No training resources for sales
    Really bad CRM system (should have bought SalesForce rather than building our own)

Place a larger focus on training salespeople and career development, because right now there is none.

Worked for Yardi Systems? Contribute to the Community!