Yates Petroleum

Updated April 27, 2014
Updated April 27, 2014
2.6

John Yates Jr

Nice atmosphere but pay severely lacking and not transparent at all.

Current Employee - Agave Energy in Artesia, NM
    Current Employee - Agave Energy in Artesia, NM

I have been working at Yates Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere, every friday everyone in company quits early, supervisors are very understanding and give a lot of lea way to accomadate personal lives. Great place it you are really motivated and a self starter you can get a lot of experience here.

Cons

Pay is not consistent across the board nor anywhere at all close to being transparent. And it is a big secret as to what other people make. Management threatens to fire for it upon hiring. If they were transparent it would help morale at lot. That combined with getting close to industry standards for postions would make this a great place to work

Evaluate the lack of transparency in all employees pay.

This is the best company I have ever worked for and I've worked for many good companies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Springs, WY

I have been working at Yates Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent repore with management and fellow employees. Wages could be a little better. Generous bonuses and time off. I do feel sorry for the individual at my office who no longer enjoys working here. I think that if it were me and I truly felt that way I would seek another job as there are plenty available here, luckily.

Cons

Some stressful days but I think that could be anywhere. Yates Petroleum Corporation has always been an enjoyable place to be at.

The only advice to management that I would offer is to try and maintain the same family oriented atmosphere throughout the sale.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Springs, WY

I have been working at Yates Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, great people to work with, supervisors who actually care for the employees, company truck.

Cons

Not much to mention on the downside. The only con is the recent turmoil with the announcement of the intent to sell

Try to keep the same family feeling while the sale happens. After all its the reason why some of us have worked for the company for so long.

No longer enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Lease Operator in Rock Springs, WY
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Rock Springs, WY

I have been working at Yates Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family time, company vehicle, increasing vacation time, personal time, sick time, ok benefits.

Cons

Upper management is terrible, kiss asses, lazy people need to apply, treat contractors poorly try to low ball everyone that walks in the door, backstabbing, melo dramatics would love this place

Quit before you get the ax after the buyout, they teach you how not to treat people and how not to do business.

Horrible

Former Employee - Production Foreman in Gillette, WY
    Former Employee - Production Foreman in Gillette, WY

I worked at Yates Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well paid, good benefits, good company vehicle policy, good bonuses, lower level employees great to work with.

Cons

Unless you have been there 15-20 years, and are part of their "club", the people that all started years ago in Artesia, you are nothing. I brought with me a ton of down hole completion, drilling and workover experience. I had an issue with a 3rd party/ contract production foreman and he goes to the produciton superintendant (who is a complete idiot), the next thing I know I get end run and terminated because I supposedly violate some company gratuity policy. I caused a rift, that contractor was there 13 years to my 2, and since they are all buddies, they got me ousted. The best part is the relationship this company has with vendors. Tell them they will stop using them if they dont get rid of certain people. I saw people taking bids, tell their contractor of choice what the lowest bid was so they could beat it. I hope once the sale of YPC is complete they go in and clean house!

Evaluate your management structure in Gillette

UN-Professional on all levels

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Artesia, NM
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Artesia, NM

I have been working at Yates Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good image on the outside, paycheck is given on expected date, all the people with values & integrity have left.

Cons

Full of backstabbing people. Unprofessional dress, conduct, & treatment of coworkers. I was amazed at this and it was at all levels of workmanship within the departments. Do not fall for some of the "safe" HR protections that would be in place at a true corporate environment. ( ie: open door policy, discrimination, etc)

Stop the slander and spying on your own people. The environment you are creating/allowing is very discouraging to people. Watching the parking lot.... ok that is understandable, but watching & recording your own people just isnt right. (ie: HR door, lounge/break areas, hallways)

Worst Job EVER !!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Artesia, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Artesia, NM

I worked at Yates Petroleum

Pros

The pay is actually on time and they do give you early release on the Fridays when local football is in season.

Cons

Lies,Corruption, Backstabbing, Malicious, Deceptive, No Moral Integrity or Consciousness, Petty Gossip, Slandering, and pretty much every known humankind of evilness is encouraged. Don't fall for the "open door policy" because the person/s you have issues with are friends with Upper Management & HR

Management are the ones responsible for creating this environment. The owners sadly either do not care or choose to remain ignorant of what is really going on.

OK place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, NM

I have been working at Yates Petroleum

Pros

Small, private company with big attitude. Learn many facets of the energy industry. Owners are very fair and loyal to the employees.

Cons

Don't see much downside, not enough to mention anyway. Life in a small town is sometimes difficult to reconcile when am person is accustomed to big city lifestyle.

Keep up the good work. Most of your employees want the best for the company and want to be actively involved with building for the future.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Yates Petroleum full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. The company is very family oriented. Great vacation and time off. Company vehicle for personal use is an added bonus. The work load is demanding at times and the work itself is demanding but very rewarding. Management works with employees if they have an issue. Bonuses are very generous. 401k is pretty good too. This is by far the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Wages could be a little higher.

They are doing a good job. They always try to do what is best for everybody.