Year Up Reviews

Incredible Place To Work and Make a Difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal organization that truly lives its mission statement. Open communications often between corporate leaders and staff through webinars. Extremely engaging team from local to national staff members. Focus on student success is a HIGH priority!

Cons

Work-life balance is a concern. You can very easily get caught-up in the movement and not keep sight of "self."

Advice to Management

Continue the incredible dialogue with staff on all issues facing Opportunity Youth. Communications to organization regarding organizational changes is essential for everyone to see as much as possible of the "big picture."

Passion Drives Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really do enjoy working here at Year Up. The students make the hard work worth while, but also allows you to grow as a professional. This is also a great space to learn to navigate political spaces. Working here has allowed me to really grow professionally and, learn to manage up.

Cons

I also recognize the pitfalls of the organization. 1 is that at times we don't practice what we preach. As an org we invest millions of dollars into social campaigns encouraging other employers to hire opportunity youth however we do not hire full time employees that fall within that spectrum. If we do make the hires it is extremely hard for them to grow.

Advice to Management

We need to walk the talk. I think that if our leadership was to spend some actual time doing the work we do and, see the students they would learn that the students are the solution, not the companies. In the past we have truly valued the student and alumni experience. I would like to see us get back to that.

3. excellent

I have been working at Year Up full-time

Pros

Helps build skills in IT, QA, and professional.

Cons

Some rules are overlooked for certain students.

Amazing place to work, so proud and grateful to be here

I have been working at Year Up full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. The mission - it is a fantastic mission and it truly is at the center of everything at Year Up. Everything I've been a part of here, even if it's not directly advising or instructing students, I can see directly how my work contributes to expanding opportunities for the young adults we serve. 2. The people - this is an incredible team to be a part of. Just about everyone is brilliant, caring, creative, passionate, real team players, and 100% committed to the mission. Including in ivy league schools I've attended, I've never been part of anything like this before. 3. The potential - Year Up's model has real potential for transformative scale and impact, and leadership is committed to fulfilling that potential. There are ambitious plans for growth here with commitment to consistency in quality, and notably that growth extends to both direct service programs AND broader systems change. Put that all together and you're part of a force that can really change the equation around opportunity in this country. 4. The commitment to people development - This kind of follows from all of the above, but there is a real commitment here to staff development, and tons of opportunities for growth. This happens on a systemic level (in the form of financial support for professional development, PD plans, etc) and a personal level (in the form of individuals taking the time to mentor and develop colleagues). The rapid organizational growth creates a lot of opportunities for taking on new challenges in your role or outside of it. I also think leadership here has a real commitment to core values. I've seen some discussion on Glassdoor about diversity in leadership and hiring. Year Up definitely struggles in this area, as most companies do, but I've been heartened by how seriously everyone in the organization takes efforts to build a diverse team. Most of us only see the person hired at the end of a search and not the process that led to that hire; whenever I've been part of that process there has always been a very serious consideration of diversity and efforts to attract a diverse pool of applicants. I think it's to leadership's credit that at the end of the day, the best candidate is selected and there are no shortcuts being taken to achieve diversity goals. There is certainly a lot of work to be done here, but I see a very sincere effort being made. And I see that same depth of commitment to all of the stated core values.

Cons

1. Pace is insane and everyone struggles to keep up. The best you can expect is a choice between working long hours and letting balls drop; most likely you will be doing a little of both. 2. Growth brings challenges and everyone is struggling a little to absorb all the changes in the organization. Even though none of the important things about Year Up are actually changing, it can be stressful and sometimes it's hard to sort out what's changing and what's not. Communication sometimes lags behind as things change really quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing primarily on impact for opportunity youth! It means so much to know that we are looking beyond the direct service model we've set up to what, in the big scheme of things, will really move the needle for the demographic we serve. This is a huge strength of Year Up. Invest more in internal communications. When leadership communicates internally, the communication is high-quality, but it doesn't come consistently. Factor staff time in as a resource when planning and setting goals.

6. best place I

Current Employee - Senior Management, Boston Site in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Management, Boston Site in Boston, MA

I have been working at Year Up

Pros

I have been doing this work, innovative approaches to urban education, for over 25 years, and I have worked for some amazing organizations. Year Up is in a class by itself. In a sentence, it is effective at hitting its goals. It feels so good to work on something so challenging, something so important, and to be successful at it.

Cons

It's no small amount of work! Year Up is for those who are passionate about the mission of closing the Opportunity Divide.

Employment Placement Specialist

Current Employee - Employment Placement Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Placement Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organizational culture that fosters professional and personal growth ($2000 in PD funds per year!). Employees are true to the organization's mission, and it's hard to find such a passionate, talented, and dedicated group of individuals elsewhere. There are a million inspiring moments that push employees to excel and keep the morale and employee retention high. The employee demographic is very diverse and represents the communities that the Year Up program serve, which is great for creating an inclusive environment for students, but also contributes to a continuously rich dialogue among staff as multiple perspectives and backgrounds work together to expand and develop the program further. Though the work can be overwhelming or stressful at times, time is definitely carved out for staff to enjoy social events, team-building, athletic/hobby clubs, etc. The importance of work-life balance is recognized and emphasized by managers and the operations (HR) team.

Cons

It's definitely hectic and stressful at times. Colleagues and managers are supportive and respectful of work-life balance, but it's hard to honor this commitment since all staff are constantly balancing multiple competing priorities. Typical of non-profit environments, though!

8. Teaching Assistant

I worked at Year Up full-time

Pros

Mission Driven Students enthusiasm Business Culture

Cons

Professional Development Diversity & Cultural Competency Internal Communication

Advice to Management

Work on the cons..

9. Student

Former Employee - Student in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Student in Arlington, VA

I worked at Year Up

Pros

excellent information of IT Career

Cons

they only give you 3 emergency days thats is nt enough days for real life issues they called me all thway up to crystal city va jst to fire me because of my health. that only took 10 mins they could have done that over the phone. they give you petty infractions because they want to take your money. the aren't understanding what so ever and they lied to use about the money that we were suppose to recieve from there. and the staff members and the manager isias really needs some work. the staff memebers dont care abot you and they are disrespectful.

Advice to Management

you guys really need to do better i am ashamed that obama put his name on this place.

10. Student

I have been working at Year Up full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive community, building towards closing the opportunity divide.

Cons

Not applicable as a student.

The job you wake up for in the morning!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Incredible culture -Amazing benefits! -Constantly surrounded by incredible people, challenged by your peers and the staff never loses sight of the overall mission -Growth - Not only are there opportunities to grow within the organization and expand your knowledge and expertise, but there is also so much opportunity to grow as a person. Year Up will only make you better! -Unique, fulfilling and life-altering experiences with Year Up's students...you can't help but be inspired everyday -work/life balance - live by work hard and have fun!

Cons

Fast-paced and a lot of priorities on everyone's plate. There is great conversation about how to achieve priorities and realistic expectations, but if you don't like moving quickly, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire communication between departments and trainings to keep staff informed of department initiatives as it will only make us better. The more we know and understand about our surrounding departments, the more we can help each other work towards our goals, learn from each other and ultimately, do our jobs more effectively and efficiently. There have been great training opportunities emerging, and I hope it continues!

RSS Feed </> Embed