Year Up

www.yearup.org

Year Up Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Gerald Chertavian

Enrolling at Year Up is probably the easiest way to propel one's career.

Learning Development (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- All staff member work hard to fulfill their mission
    - Highly motivated employee
    - Effective integration of values
    - Comfortable yet professional environment

Cons- Performance inconsistency is often tolerated

I love Year Up

Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYear Up is an amazing opportunity for young adults to get a life long career. You get a free college education and skills that will actually land you a career

ConsThe pay is very low during L&D and no chance of a raise. I honestly have had no other problems with Year Up besides that, but be mindful the work load is very heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

The Ride of a Lifetime

Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsThe mission of the company will inspire you to join. The work with the students and staff will inspire you to stay. Depending on where you are with your career, you can be extremely happy working here. It is a great company to join right after college or at the end of a career, and even for career switchers. The impact you can have on students and communities is nothing short of incredible. And the company's core values really allow you to self-assess your performance and that of the students. Once you've been here for a few cohorts, and the alumni share with you their success stories, it is simply mind-blowing.

ConsCulture is not as feedback-driven among staff as it is for students - feedback is often first heard on performance reviews, rather than shared in person. Hours can be very long, and the company only seems half-committed to work/life balance and wellness. Career coaching for staff is subpar, and it is hard to earn a promotion if there is no organizational need for such a position. Sometimes, feeling valued by staff, especially management, can be difficult to come by. Annual raises only keep up with the cost of living, no matter how outstanding your performance. Pursuing and successfully executing on challenges outside of your core role may not earn the appropriate recognition or compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers more on career coaching and how to make sure staff feel valued at all times. Make clear what the path to promotion looks like, and be transparent about expectations. Find ways to facilitate feedback among staff, and further prioritize work-life balance as an organizational need.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meaningful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCollaborative environment, meaningful work, high energy culture. Competitive salary and benefits for the field. Passionate and skilled individuals work here.

ConsExecutive Director needs more training on how to lead handling internal and external management issues, and have a genuine, consistent focus on people and team. Work life balance is tough for this organization, but they are making it a focus; consistency across managers here will benefit the organization and staff overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus setting direction and supporting balancing work/life in this organization. Focus on the daily collaboration between program departments and revenue-generating/"selling" departments. Make sure your staff feels joy and feels healthy, and this will transmit to the students you serve. Create more transparency organization wide.

False Dreams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHave several success stories about people getting get good jobs and doing well after completing the program and have been highlighted on tv

ConsDon't tell about the many people who have completed and still are out of work. After completing the program have to come back regularly like going to an unemployment office.

Got a job offer when in the program and was advised to turn it down. Finished the program with no job and now being advised to apply for the job I turned down 7 month ago to be in the program instead.

Great environment, still room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff were committed to the mission, personal development opportunities are good

ConsA lot of time is dedicated to the learning community, which puts a strain on staff

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on balancing time

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of opportunities to participate in ad hoc projects.

ConsInexperienced management staff led to negative experiences and glass ceiling. Favoritism among staff members was obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain up your managers and create a fair leadership development program.

Good experience depending on your manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsBenefits, impact . . . .

ConsExperience is can be very manager dependent

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for managers who manage teams

My experience has been satisfying; it is worthwhile to work on a vision to eliminate the Opportunity Divide.

ProsEntrepreneurial; challenging; growth; colleagues; partnership; dynamic; student access

ConsAchieving balance is work, but good to see that this has become an organizational priority

Advice to Senior ManagementRole modeling keeping work/life balance at the top of the organization is important; using data to drive decision-making is the right route and should be continued.

Year Up Bay Area help close the opportunity divide

IT Professional (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGiving opportunities to youth age 18-24

Cons$1000 a month for stipend. They pay you to go to school which is great however, if the school paid more money that would be a plus.

Worked for Year Up? Contribute to the Community!