Yell Group

www.yellgroup.com

Yell Group Reviews

Updated May 27, 2014
Yell Group – Reading – “UK Head Office”

Yell Group CEO and Director J. Michael (Mike) Pocock

J. Michael (Mike) Pocock

Inconsistent management

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsDecent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

ConsExtensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Business Analyst (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsHere are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

ConsHere are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

A little less than satisfactory

Client Service Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIf Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

ConsIf Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsLargely a great bunch of people on the ground
    Modern office in a good location
    Good personal growth in terms of on the job training to keep up with industry trends, and progression availability at the lower levels.

ConsVery Weak Directors & Senior Mgmt
    Very limited career progression once you get into the management layers
    Too many lifers who don't know anything better, and expect an easy ride

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease transparency
    More rigorous hiring policy for senior hires
    Rebrand back to Yell from the ridiculous Hibu once you've finished playing games with your debt

Fantastic company to work for

Field Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Wellington, Shropshire, West Midlands, England (UK)

ProsThe fact that you can see the same customers to really build relationships and enhance our position as the UK's number 1 marketing company whether it be in traditional print or online

ConsChallenges are customers perception and the fact that we haven't had the relationship they would like with us!

long! 19 years. first 16 were great. the directories used to be a quality product which people needed.

Field Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

Prosyou used to be able to earn a lot money. the directories are dead now. no one uses them, peole dont need yell.com as everyone knows how to use a search engine. i would never advertise my business on yell (or hibu!!!!! as it is now). sorry, it is a dinosaur

Consunrealistic targets. threat managment. lack of reality!

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people like adults not children

A great opportunity to start your career, no long term prospects

Web Consultant (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsI worked with some brilliant people, brimming with ideas and a passion for copywriting and digital marketing. Lots of opportunity to network with people across the business.

ConsOnce you are producing at expectation, they may not develop you further. The leadership team had very little understanding of the product they were producing, and had such high expectations of staff to produce on volume, until a point was reached that quality was so poor management backtracked and redesigned the training for new starters and re-trained existing staff to focus on quality as feedback and customer scores hit rock bottom. They also didn't listen to the valuable knowledge and insight of skilled workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop staff so that they have the skills to leave, treat them well enough that they wish to stay.

Good start, downhill from there...

Business Development Manager (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThe training I received was brilliant. 2 weeks sent away to Glasgow with others for training and come into job raring to go.! Started on a low basic and quickly worked up to a good basic.

ConsThe pressure you re under is worst than any sales job Ive ever had, and Ive had a few.
    Despite doing really well and getting numerous 'deals' each day, I was still called into the office on a few occasions to discuss my call time. If my call time was god and I had a couple of deals, it was then down to the amount of dials I did and if they wasn't up to standard then I was in trouble again.
    it also seemed that unless you was doing well, you was an outsider as the mangers looked at and talked to you different than they would to someone who needed more help.
    The job took over my life as I was travelling 1 and a half hours to get there and back so I was up at 5am and home at 8pm most nights.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue every member of staff. If they are doing ridiculously well or not as they are part of the company. The second my performance dropped (as a result of my head dropping as I was still getting told i wasn't doing enough despite my figures being above target every week) the mood changed and you was pushed to the side and looked at like you shouldn't be there.

It was singularly the most horrendous working environment I have ever worked in.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe wages are ok and some of the staff are lovely.

ConsBullying, intimidation, lack of support from managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower management/team leaders are NOT always right and do bully members of staff and on occasions lie outright.

Avoid at all costs if you value your sanity

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsExcellent training and development with a great opportunity to earn bonus.

They run very good incentive schemes.

ConsThere is very much a culture of bullying and intimidation. You are given a hard time if you leave for the day before you have hit your target, this also applies to your teams target and your departments target so expect to be in work most evening until 7pm.

The novelty of money soon wears off when you realise you have sold your soul to the devil. I remember one occasion when our Christmas leave was cancelled.

PS. I am not a disgruntled ex-employee, I was a very capable salesman and made plenty of money but its simply not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the culture of bullying and intimidation

Worked for Yell Group? Contribute to the Community!