Yell Reviews

Reset
3.7
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Pros
  • Great balance between challenge and work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• There is generally a good, motivated, working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to headcount reductions the chance of career progression in certain areas are slim (in 3 reviews)

• If job security is important to you then this isn't the place to be as the company continue to scale down business in line with the decline in revenue (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. Good enough firm

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

I worked at Yell

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

Great until this final year

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities. Team spirit reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

Advice to Management

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

5. Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things: Good work/life balance High quality co-workers who care about the business Nice office park Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things: Print advertising is dead No faith in new company direction Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people Secretive about future changes Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Management

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

6. Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Management

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

7. A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yell

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Management

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

8. Heading for a digital turnaround

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell part-time

Pros

Good people, great new digital products, keen to change to digital marketplace and recently seem to be succeeding. If you work in field sales and are trusted then you are pretty much left to work as you see fit. Its like running your own little franchise. But you need to put in the hard graft and get up every day and make it happen, I have a great honest manager - which always make things easier.

Cons

IT systems are creaky and un-networked. Laptops aging. IT always say they're going to improve but never give a timescale and when they do, they miss it. You need to be resilient to work here, and find your own way around problems. Patience is needed when you give feedback as 'big company disease' slows things dooooooowwwwnnnn....

Advice to Management

Executive management much better that it was. Seems more focused than previously. But need to get back office to move quicker to keep up with front office. Support, products, responsiveness could all could be better. Some older senior sales managers need to snap out of "carrot or stick" management. Its not the 90's anymore. People need to be encouraged, not berated or treated like children. Then you get great results.

Jul 8, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback and for your comments in praise of our Digital portfolio and of course, your Manager. We recently had some feedback regarding investment in our ... More

9. Yell is making great progress

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

Yell has been through a huge amount of change and is now a great place to work. The business works at a high pace and is doing some really interesting things in the digital world. There is a clear vision for the future and a real intent to make this a growth business. Yell is also more open to working with third parties than ever before which means we work with some interesting suppliers. The culture is very good and the focus on results is really working.

Cons

There are never enough hours in the day!

Advice to Management

The current plan is working well so keep going in this direction.

Jul 8, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback and for your positive comments! Our Leadership team have been working very hard on outlining the future vision of our Organisation and have been ... More

Just Okay

Former Employee - Telesales Account Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Telesales Account Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Managers, some nice incentives and can be a happy environment to work

Cons

not a level playing field. Higher quality data, warm leads given to preferential staff. Aggressive senior management. Messy offices. Compulsory late nights with no overtime paid

Advice to Management

knock the late nights on the head.

Jul 29, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback and for your comments. We read all comments on here both positive and constructive. We are pleased that you had very positive comments to make ... More

Great company with an exciting future

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

The opportunities at Yell are very good and come in the form of a brilliant induction, regular training, ongoing support and development, industry insight and opportunities for career progression.

Cons

The job can be very demanding. That said, you get out of it what you put into it. If you put the effort in and play to win the rewards are there.

Advice to Management

Continue providing training & development in line with the direction the digital industry is moving in.

RSS Feed </> Embed