Yell Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

Great until this final year

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time for less than a year

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yell

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

An enjoyable and rewarding place to work, where development is encouraged and supported.

Current Employee - Selection & Induction Manager  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Selection & Induction Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been working at Yell for 21 years now and during this time have worked as a consultant on the phone, been a trainer, first line Manager and now I am lucky enough to do all the recruiting and inducting for Birmingham Telesales Consultants.
    After working in smaller companies early on in my career I have found myself staying at Yell, as I think if you are going to work in sales, then you may as well work for a company that has a great set of values and is offering the No. 1 products. Also where the reward and development is realistic as evidenced by my career.

Cons

I enjoy the challenge that each day bring and the financial rewards f that I have achieved from working hard and delivering results required. My home and holidays are testiment to my success. I have found myself working with some great inspirational leaders who help give me my goals and recognition, as well as with individuals who help create our culture of sharing and learning from each other.

Flexible and Forward Thinking

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Head office is great place to work, fantastic facilities, including onsite gym, canteen and open, light working conditions
    Company offers flexible working and are very mature ion the way they treat employees
    Forward thinking business with some great digital products
    Unrivalled legacy and brand in the SME advertising space

Cons

Consistent change (not always a bad ting)

You get out of it what you put in.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a company that rewards you for hard work and going over and above your role duties. The company provides you with access to great technology to do your job. Yell is an environment that encourages you to challenge the norm, share and implement ideas and to drive your career forward.

Cons

The company values and strategies could be better defined to give the workforce a greater understanding of the business aims.

Yell Response

Sep 9, 2014Head of Recruitment

Thanks for your review, much appreciated. We have noted your points.

Great working environment, a place of constant change and excitement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior management are approachable, open and honest. Work life balance is very good. Working from home is an option which can be really helpful. Facilities are fantastic. Vision for the future of the business is clearer than ever before. The company is exciting and never stagnant.

Cons

Due to headcount reductions the chance of career progression in certain areas are slim. Uncertainty can cause people to disengage which can be distracting for everyone.

Exciting Times...

Current Employee - Reading Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Reading Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, great employees, great benefits, exciting future, customer focused, not political or bureaucratic, great CEO & approachable leadership. There is a sharp focus on what we need to achieve and this is communicated well to all employees. The working environment is first class and the facilities at ORC are superb!

Cons

Lots of change so if you don't like change this isn't the place to be. Not a place to work if you are a plodder or not prepared to be hands-on.

Keep the employees engaged & work-life balance maintained.

Worked for Yell? Contribute to the Community!