Yell Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
4.0

Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

Great until this final year

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yell

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

Challenging, fun and full of potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent package. Great balance between challenge and work/life balance. Well placed to compete in its markets. Good strategy for future. Forward-looking technology plans. Leadership that listen. Great people.

Cons

Need to rebuild technology and business models without disrupting short term results (also a good challenge!). Some people resistant to change.

It's great working for a fast paced organisation where there are so many learning opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great UK leadership team that operates in a collaborative way

Plenty of opportunity for personal growth working for an organisation going through an exciting transformation

Working with driven, focused and friendly people

Cons

You need to be prepared to work hard, beyond what is required to invest in the future success of this business

A dynamic forward thinking digital company, very high rewards for successful sales results, great energy and vibe

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training is world class, salespeople are really cared for and treated with respect, open ended pay scheme, OTB is very achievable, last quarter some huge sales bonuses, an opportunity to work for the Google Premier SME Partner that won the Mobile Champion Award from Google in Nov 2013

Cons

You have to work hard, you need to be adaptable to a very changing digital marketplace, you need to invest time in keeping up to speed with internet trends.

Continue (as you always have) to keep the opportunities for sales to earn serious money when over-running sales targets, this has been a key motivator for all since I can remember; now the company is going from strength to strength, energy and drive is excellent. Culture is great, keep doing what you are doing to develop our collaborative style

Great people, working hard to be successful.

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great, and if you thrive on working hard to deliver great results there are plenty of opportunities. There's flexibility and fun too though - overall a rewarding mix.

Cons

We've been through some tough times and you need to be able to adapt to and even welcome change - if you want everything to stay the same forever this isn't the workplace for you.

Make the most of the current opportunities and keep communication with the workforce high on your priority list.

An enjoyable and rewarding place to work, where development is encouraged and supported.

Current Employee - Selection & Induction Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Selection & Induction Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Yell for 21 years now and during this time have worked as a consultant on the phone, been a trainer, first line Manager and now I am lucky enough to do all the recruiting and inducting for Birmingham Telesales Consultants.
    After working in smaller companies early on in my career I have found myself staying at Yell, as I think if you are going to work in sales, then you may as well work for a company that has a great set of values and is offering the No. 1 products. Also where the reward and development is realistic as evidenced by my career.

Cons

I enjoy the challenge that each day bring and the financial rewards f that I have achieved from working hard and delivering results required. My home and holidays are testiment to my success. I have found myself working with some great inspirational leaders who help give me my goals and recognition, as well as with individuals who help create our culture of sharing and learning from each other.