Yell Reviews

Reset
3.7
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Pros
  • Great balance between challenge and work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• There is generally a good, motivated, working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to headcount reductions the chance of career progression in certain areas are slim (in 3 reviews)

• If job security is important to you then this isn't the place to be as the company continue to scale down business in line with the decline in revenue (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. Good enough firm

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

Great until this final year

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities. Team spirit reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

Advice to Management

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

5. Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things: Good work/life balance High quality co-workers who care about the business Nice office park Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things: Print advertising is dead No faith in new company direction Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people Secretive about future changes Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Management

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

6. Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Management

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

7. A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Management

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

8. One of the best places I have worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people. People at Yell simply MAKE the business. My role has huge variety and the senior management team have an open door policy and are not afraid of saying "thank you" for hard work. Yell continues to have a real work hard play hard ethic and have great recognition programmes. Equally they are getting the right balance of communication now and are giving out some great messages on the growth of our business.

Cons

We continue to be thifty as a business which is a plus on one hand given the need to watch our spend carefully. However, the business has a huge amount of internal pride over a much loved brand so it would be great to see a carefully managed programme pushing our external brand awareness to highlight our product portfolio.

Advice to Management

None

9. sales

Pros

good commisionat work hard is

Cons

high targets when business slow

Advice to Management

sd

10. Great but no security

Former Employee - IT Support
    Former Employee - IT Support

I worked at Yell (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still some great people there

Cons

In 4 years i was always in fear of being made redundant and this was the year.....

Advice to Management

Stop the cuts!

11. very long working hours

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Yell (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to earn a lot if you are in the top sales league

Cons

Very long hours, was expected to stay behind most nights

RSS Feed </> Embed