Yell Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
4.0
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Pros
  • Great balance between challenge and work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• There is generally a good, motivated, working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to headcount reductions the chance of career progression in certain areas are slim (in 3 reviews)

• If job security is important to you then this isn't the place to be as the company continue to scale down business in line with the decline in revenue (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. Good enough firm

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

I worked at Yell

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

3. Great until this final year

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

5. Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

6. Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

7. A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yell

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

8. Disorganised, messy, and management had a complete disconnect with their team.

Former Employee - Web Associate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Associate in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Yell

Pros

The people I worked with on my level knew what they were doing and cooperated between departments well.

Cons

Management stifled growth of efficiency. Lots of promotion of the wrong existing managers from other departments to new openings whether or not they were qualified.

9. Pushed myself to develop and learn new things all the time to help me be a better leader and trainer.

Current Employee - Selection & Induction Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Selection & Induction Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell

Pros

All achieved my goals of my career path and have enjoyed the development that I have received along the way.

Cons

Stretching goals in an ever changing market.

10. Great one day, less so the next.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good modern office, friendly staff and a real mix of people. Good atmosphere with the right balance of professional and relaxed. Good exposure to CV boosting experience in a good industry. Good training on offer, well known company. They take on some people with little experience to start with so it can be a great place to get experience and move on somewhere better paid,

Cons

Pay scale less than average compared to similar roles elsewhere. Large and old company has been slow in the past to catch up with small full-service agencies in digital industries. Fell into big debts a few years back which makes the atmosphere insecure - on the one hand it keeps you on your toes and things change a lot, however people lose jobs easily and one day you can be ding really well then the next managers look for any excuse as figures have not been so good that week. Because it is being run by the administrators every aspect of the role is closely monitored which can lead to annoying bureaucracy. As a large company it can be slow to get things changed if you have an idea. Everyone has particular roles and there is little to no communication between departments - whereas competitors in the industry tend to be small young agencies that offer the full range of digital services. There is still a lot of dead weight in old employees whose jobs are secure but are not up to date with technology. Then they get in loads of young guys with potential only to get rid of them again.

The main con is lots of people are unfairly employed indefinitely on temp contracts for up to a year or more (if you're lucky) - doing exactly the same role as permanent staff but for less money and no security. When company figures don't look so good they can be very quick to find reasons to let these staff go.

Treat your young and new staff with more respect - these are the people who will take the company forwards if it is going to survive, Offer more training across the board as most people are capable of learning a range of skills to compete with the full-service agencies (and can do most aspects of production without offshoring). Improve communication between departments to support this.

11. The First Decade At Yell

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, Rewarding, Great People, Market Leading Products

Cons

Steep learning curve when coming in new to the business