Yell Reviews

Reset
3.8
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Pros
  • Great balance between challenge and work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• There is generally a good, motivated, working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to headcount reductions the chance of career progression in certain areas are slim (in 3 reviews)

• If job security is important to you then this isn't the place to be as the company continue to scale down business in line with the decline in revenue (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. Good enough firm

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

I worked at Yell

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

3. Great until this final year

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

Advice to Management

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

5. Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Management

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

6. Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Management

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

7. A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yell

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Management

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

8. Great company with an exciting future

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

The opportunities at Yell are very good and come in the form of a brilliant induction, regular training, ongoing support and development, industry insight and opportunities for career progression.

Cons

The job can be very demanding. That said, you get out of it what you put into it. If you put the effort in and play to win the rewards are there.

Advice to Management

Continue providing training & development in line with the direction the digital industry is moving in.

9. Fantastic company.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great. Salary and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Honestly can not tell you of any cons. I enjoy going to work every day.

Advice to Management

Management structure is great. Always inform work force of changes and progress of the company.

10. Good Products Let Down By Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to gain experience with some good products which will stand your career in good stead in the digital world.

Cons

Relentless infighting and politics
    There are still a mystifying number of ineffectual senior managers getting in the way of every positive initiative just because they've been there forever
    Sales team that acts like a union and is pandered to by all
    Fragmented product portfolio with conflicting propositions

Advice to Management

People at Yell fall generally fall into one of three categories:
    - Lifers whose only contribution is that they know how Yell works as a business. They're hanging on for redundancy, retirement, or just through shear inertia, and would rather see the business go down the pan than succeed on someone else's terms
    - Heroes, who joined in the past few years thinking they'd be the person to come up with the killer idea that saves the business. They blag their way in with a huge salary to a role they would never have got anywhere else, and leave or get pushed after a couple of years when it becomes clear that the company is incapable of executing any significant strategy change, no matter how good the idea
    - The would-be bailers, some of whom are exceptionally talented, who need to get out of Yell if it's the last thing they ever do but can't quite find their way past the Stockholm syndrome effect to get on with it. Many of them are institutionalised, love the company, but can't take any more abuse from the previous two sets of people, and haven't yet realised how much better they could do elsewhere.
    My advice is sack the first two sets, and build a new company with the third lot at its core.

11. Politics ruin what is otherwise a business with so much potential

Current Employee - Team Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office - perfect location

Cons

Politics take priority over common sense
    People focussed on quick-wins with cost saving rather then product / people development
    Management think they know best when really they should be listening to those who do the job
    Processes and admin strip away creativity and innovation

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve. Stop looking at cost-cutting measures and focus on the real problem. Compromising product integrity isn't the way forward in the digital space.

Yell Response

Jul 1, 2015Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your comments, we certainly take feedback from our employees very seriously and our annual employee survey and regular open forums ensure that employees have the opportunity to give us ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed