Yell

Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Pros
  • Great balance between challenge and work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• There is generally a good, motivated, working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to headcount reductions the chance of career progression in certain areas are slim (in 3 reviews)

• If job security is important to you then this isn't the place to be as the company continue to scale down business in line with the decline in revenue (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

Great until this final year

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

A little less than satisfactory

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yell

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

Yell changed my life

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Shifnal, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Shifnal, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

World class training, Excellent Package, Open Ended Pay Scheme, Team Spirit, Working at the forefront of technology with the best sales tools and support, Surrounded by a high standard of focussed and driven individuals

Cons

You have to have a good work ethic to succeed

Continue in the direction you are taking us, it feels a very exciting place to be with lots of positive things happening!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell

Pros

Great chances for career progression, good salary, amazing support from trainers and colleagues.

Cons

Nothing bad to say, work hard and reap the benefits!

Challenging and very rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell

Pros

You get to sell quality products that work - no ripping customers off - very different to other sales environments that I encountered before. And no back stabbing of colleagues - very much a team atmosphere.

Cons

We operate in a very competitive and fast-changing marketplace, so you have to be willing to put in the extra work to stay on top, eg Google updates, etc.

Challenging, exciting, changing, rewarding after 26 years still a great place to work.

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, Training, Changeable, Rewards, Salary, Benefits, Technology, Career, Flexible,

Cons

No cons but work hard and you reap the benefits.

Changing times and technology, keep doing the positive things.

Regional Manager Scotland, North East and Yorkshire

I have been working at Yell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love helping to create an environment where people enjoy their jobs and the customers love the Yell experience. People grow as sales professionals working for Yell. Great training from day 1 and though out your time with Yell.

Cons

You need to be committed, it is a place which recognises effective sales people, graft and determination. If you are happy to look after customers and help educate them in digital matters then a fantastic career awaits you.

The more the sales force helps shape the future with ideas and improvements the better and more engaged they become.