Yellow Pages Group
www.ypg.com Verdun, Canada 1000 to 5000 Employees

Yellow Pages Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Julien Billot

Pros:
  • "Some great people with great industry knowledge"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Guaranteed raises with a (supposedly) good benefits structure"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "upper management is not pro-active, they react when its too late & constantly trying to catch up"
    in 4 reviews
  • "NO communication or people skills, and gossiping little clicks, especially on the Finance/Accounting floor"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No consistent leadership

Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, good wages, casual environment,

ConsHuge discrepancies on how employees are treated, based on what department they work in. Difficulty to have senior managers/director who have a balance of business sense and people skills

Was brainwashed into thinking their products were good value for SMB's when in fact they were the complete opposite...

Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent compensation package for sales reps

ConsPoor products made it difficult to face customers every year...

Great benefits, great training and approachable management team.

Media Account Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time

ProsGreat employee benefits starting on day one and great training program.

ConsSome interactions with verbally abusive clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe patient with your sales team and don't expect them to reach for the moon right away.

Media Account Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group

ProsEarly on I had a ton to say! Culture, colleagues, training, technology and recognition, however, all of that has slid quite a bit.

ConsThe income could be lucrative if you're willing to propose product and campaigns that have less than a 50% success rate and even smaller renewal rate... Between the company and union, some how , they have figured out a way to satisfy the average consultants income at the cost of dropping the top performing consultant's income... But don't worry, 90% of the sales force (which are average or less) are making more money than they were and can continue to just "get by" by renewing and moving revenue around... Bonus targets are unattainable even by their top performers and reflect nothing to do with the consultants "actual" revenue targets...

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the caliber of expectations back up on recruitment; you shouldn't have to worry so much about the "average" consultant; all you've done is make it easier and less attractive for them to self-motivate and advance... Stop recruiting College and University graduates because they're hungry; recruit seasoned consultants with an attractive comp plan. Yellow Pages used to be "the" company to work for... As far as I'm concerned your telesales division is a call center high school atmosphere with a Director who's level of sexual harassment is unfathomable...

Poor Management

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Good Pay
-Great Benefits
-Home office based
-Excellent perks, company incentive trips, car allowance, expenses, RRSP contributions

Cons-Poor management
-Lack of product and poor training

Satisfactory....but slow to adopt change.

Strategy Consultant (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMoney. Some great people with great industry knowledge. They have (had) the might to change the industry.

ConsToo much corporate koolaid. Old boys network in Montreal. Failure to innovate.

Good benefits, poor interaction between Management and Staff

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are really good and so is the pay. I have met many friends while working there.
Flexibility of time off.

ConsIt is a very stressful place to work and the demands are great. Management does not regard their employees opinions therefore not tapping into resources that could help the companies future. Too much favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a pulse check of your staff and stop the favoritism.

Struggling to adapt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than a year

ProsPassionate and dedicated team members. Everyone wants to see the business adapt and succeed. Quick turnaround on in-house projects. Horizontal communication structure.

ConsDifficult to move up within the company. As YPG struggles to stay relevant, many employees are dejected/frustrated at slow change.

Sales Manager

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat support and training, great work/family lifestyle, competitive base salary and great benefits.

ConsUpper management plays office politics, objectives somewhat unrealistic, backend systems are not user friendly, more time spent reporting than supporting sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box, drop the old way of doing things, a complete overhaul of the sales organization needs to take place including dropping collective agreements, sales reps need the right tools to sell and should be focused on selling rather than clerical tasks.

Yellow Pages, one of the better companies to work for!

New Media Consultant (Former Employee)
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent basic wages, great bonus / (realistic targets, most of the time). Genuine uncapped bonus. You have full internet access and as long as you are doing your job and trying hard, you are generally left alone to get on with it. If you respect your boss, they respect you back & actually take onboard feedback. There are no official breaks, other than lunch hour, however you are allowed to take a short break when you need one, and as long as its not too often, for too long, then its fine.

ConsSelling products you know aren't fully developed yet / will get better in the near future. Dealing with being a 'cold caller' to businesses. Staying later to hit target when its counter productive as you are too tired to do your job properly when its past home-time. Work/life balance isn't great. You earn a ton of money, but can't get enough time off to spend it.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview prices on the online products - cyberspace shouldn't be that costly. Ditch the hard-copy of the YP directory, save a fortune on printing an distribution an listen to what customers say 'they bin it' in favour of the online directory.

Worked for Yellow Pages Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yellow Pages Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yellow Pages Group CEO Julien Billot . All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Yellow Pages Group employees.