Yellow Pages Group Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Whatever the opposite of growth is, YPG is doing in spades

Current Employee - Media Account Consultant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for not a lot of work. Benefits up the ying yang. As long as you are decently presentable and can speak with some intelligence you can earn 60k just doing minimal work

Cons

bad management has caused this company to go from a giant to just another player. Everyday the sales team faces a barrage of customer complaints and cancellations. Your job is to stop them from cancelling. You're not even selling anymore, you're saving.

Advice to Management

bite the bullet, take the loss in print and focus on digital advertising. Use your print resource as a value add. Customers will trust you more.

2. Disorganized, but Great People

I worked at Yellow Pages Group

Pros

Friendly people, nice cafeteria, you get the nice laptops.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen, parking situation is horrible.

Struggled to manage transition to digital products

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses were good usually irrespective of the company's share performance trending down.

Cons

Montreal centric and overly bureaucratic, marketing guys that wannabe web and app guys. Some smart .com acquisitions over the years but struggled to know how best to capitalize and integrate these properties to the YPG brand.

Advice to Management

Don't let your marketeers run amok

Culture Shock - Experienced persons should not consider a job here.

Current Employee - Media Account Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Media Account Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group

Pros

Three weeks of vacation from day one. Benefits beginning in training. Convenient location. Flexible start times make things easier on parents.

Cons

Pay Scale:
    The commission structure is a lie. The commission percentage that you are told you will be paid is ~30% on a renewal, and ~105% on an upsell - what is left out is that this is against one month's revenue, not the annual revenue that your targets are based on. Therefore your 30% commission is in truth 2.5%, and your 105% is more like 8%. These are among the lowest commissions paid in sales.

Autonomy:
    You are not empowered to think for yourself, nor to be autonomous.Expect managers to check by your desk several times daily, take stock of what you do, and when. Micromanagement smothers independent thought, free will and passion for excellence.

Management:
    Grossly incompetent. Managers hide their incompetence by absorbing their employee's time with meetings about nothing, and offering platitudes or pedantic advice. Again, micromanagement. Daily reports of call volumes, talk times, and accounts or revenue worked are generated by managers to provide the illusion of competence.

Culture:
    Yellow Pages boasts about its culture in all of its marketing materials, however the only word that I can use to describe it is toxic. Cliques are not only formed, but encouraged. There is no professionalism to be seen by way of dress code. Employees regularly use recreational drugs without consequence. Alcohol is a staple of the culture here. The business office often times has more of a frat-house feel to it with management not only encouraging, but participating in the shenanigans.

Overall:
    During the restructuring process of Yellow Pages, the company has evolved from a sales-centric environment where success was celebrated and employees were encouraged to think for themselves to just another call centre with all of the trappings that that entails. It may be a good starting point for a new graduate or someone without career or professional experience, however for the mature and experienced salesperson, the recommendation would be to seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be competent managers first, and lead by example.

Media Account Consultant

I worked at Yellow Pages Group

Pros

top notch training. I received 2 weeks of paid training where I was given all the tools to do my job right
    really good compensation plan, an opportunity to make a lot of money if you're able to hit your target.
    very friendly and outgoing employees and sales team. Managers are extremely friendly and encouraging.
    lots of incentives, and team outings
    very quiet and comfortable office environment

Cons

prospecting for new leads can be timely
    using the dialer isnt as efficient as made out to be

can't make money, politics are rampant, desperate company

Former Employee - Media Account Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Media Account Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group

Pros

Good Training. Home office allows flexibility. Provides all the tools necessary to do the job.

Cons

Compensation is poor considering the amount of work required. Commission package is a joke. There is a reason that they offer 3 weeks vacation right off the bat. Think about that.

Advice to Management

Stop naval gazing. Recognize good talent. Recognize bad talent that has been there for a while.

8. Kind of like being back in highschool. Expect to make lots and lots of calls all day to random clients.

Current Employee - Media Account Consultant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission,Training, Immediate Benefits, Vacation Days

Cons

Extremely pressured work unpaid overtime
    All day spent calling random leads who already said no
    Base salary

Advice to Management

Stop expecting employees to work forced overtime without being paid for it
    Raise base salary

9. Challenging work environment

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group

Pros

Schedule flexibility, lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Location is not optimal but is accessible

Great income potential and wonderful co-workers, but management plays favorites

Current Employee - Premise Sales Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Premise Sales Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Yellow Pages Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One really becomes friends with their co-workers, especially when I was working and we'd travel almost 6 months of the year. The camaraderie develops quickly and even when one moves on he/she tends to remain friends with their co-workers. If you produce the company rewards you quite well in terms of commissions, company trips, recognition,etc.

Cons

One must increase revenue at any cost. It may be different now; however, when I was working there as a premise sales representative, we had to, every two weeks, increase the revenue from the customer by increasing ad size, getting the customer into other headings, other books, etc. I believe now with the advent of internet and smartphone technology the book has lost much of its luster and power as an advertising medium. Therefore, the pressures to increase revenue in the traditional ways have probably disappeared as well (the book size has shrunk considerably due to all the larger ads being taken out by customers-not many people use the YP anymore). Another big con: they play favourites on who they choose to promote. I had been there for almost 10 years and despite the years there, the numerous awards and my education (I have my masters), I was overlooked. There was no logic in whom they promoted.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees objectively when looking to promote

11. Great people and a clear vision for their new digital offerings could create an interesting future for YP

Former Employee - Product Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If there was ever a time to join YP it's now. They are in a great position to be a successful and strong player in the Canadian digital space. They also have the right people in the right places to make it happen (CEO, VP of Digital). The new, trendy offices in the Nordelec building are also a really nice. Salaries, bonuses and benefits are on par (if not better) than most tech companies in Montreal. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Still too many cooks in the kitchen. Teams are silo'ed off and need to be aligned to succeed, that is their single biggest challenge in the next couple of years.

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be on the same page instead of fighting to hit their individual targets and goals.

RSS Feed </> Embed