Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch

Updated November 29, 2014
2.4

CEO

Former Youth

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The image of the Ranch was very helpful in my years becoming an adult. There are a few individuals that when put their personal selves into their jobs, can accomplish much in our lives, for those of us out-of-state admits. I was blessed for the time I have had with the Ranch.

Cons

As of my departure, There was limited to no transitional program for us out of state admits. Medication managements and resources were non existing. As an older adult, one could tell this was more of a financial decision than anything. I would like to add to the sentiments of others that there appears to be a rift between management and the direct care workers. Even during my time here, I have seen this. I also used to question the ability and training of the direct care, thinking that they are not much older than I and should have more than book sense to deal with us troubled youth.

Return to the values that made the organization successful. The dollar value may be a slow growth under the original model versus now, but should the dollar cost you your reputation and integrity?

Constant Change

Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Billings, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Caring people who make a difference in youth's lives. The benefits are good and the salary is exceptional for the mental health field. Laid back atmosphere, casual dress code, and flexible schedules (to a point).

Cons

Working with combative kids, staffing issues, lack of communication, no interaction with the executive team. Also, burnout is extensive - there are a lot of young kids fresh out of school who have no idea what it is like to work with this type of population; they tend to leave after a few months. Turnover is high.

We need a better pay system other than just the bonus program - I worked at the company for a few years, had experience before I worked there, and kids with no experience were hired at the same wage I get. Longevity should mean something. Also, get Executive out of their offices once and awhile to come see what the people who actually work with the kids do on a daily basis.

White washed tomb full of dead man's bones.

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time

Pros

Lucrative, medical model, well known in Wyoming, Alaska, California, and Illinois for taking in out-of-state
    admits to residential.

Cons

Truth be known about the pretty little Ranch? They are $ driven and medical model to the T. They are In the game of taking in out-of-state hard to place residential admits which they have basically no accountability for with regards to quality of care. Those out-of-state admits tend to have longer lengths of stay which leads to higher revenues. Why are they even in Montana when 9 out of 10 kids are from elsewhere? Maybe just to sell their "image" to the elderly couple willing to donate their assets over to the supporting foundation in the name of Christ? They are incestuous with little accountability. This holds true in the outlying office locations as well. Children are central, and their welfare comes second to the almighty $. That focal point, is the leaven in the bread impacting everything else in the organization (from top to bottom).

Management of the Ranch obviously know their own game. They will play it until the bitter end. It would behoove
    any potential donor, however, to spend some time evaluating the Ranch prior to making a contribution. The foundation is not the Ranch. They are separate legal entities. At most, only about 11% of the Ranches revenues would be from the foundation. About 85% come from private/public insurance. So in other words, be cautious. The foundation can accept a donation with restrictions in place on how that money is actually spent. I would highly recommend that option.

A good place for young professionals beginning careers, or those changing careers to gain experience to take elsewhere.

Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Roundup, MT
    Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Roundup, MT

I have been working at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am provided with a lot of flexibility to perform tasks as I see needed, while maintaining company expectations.

Cons

Administration and upper management seem extremely disconnected to care providers. As a mental health provider, the benefits available to take care of your own mental health is abysmal.

Spend ways to become better acquainted with your workers, especially in figuring out how your decisions and actions affect our daily work life. Do what you can to better take care of workers, who can have an extremely hard time taking care of the kids we serve.

Bad company to work for, good place to do good work with kids

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time

Pros

The opportunity to work with youth

Cons

This administration heavy company is disorganized and unprofessional. When it comes to employees they are just plain cheap, starting with their pay and benefits

Focus on treating employees well, this is what will improve retention

Great mission, great people, surprisingly unethical leadership and oblivious board of directors.

Former Employee - Assistant in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant in Billings, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The mission, purpose, and vision of this nonprofit are absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, with Glenn McFarlane at the helm, the organization is lacking direction, professionalism, and ethics.

Cons

A culture of "the old boys network" mixed with ethical violations galore. Personally, as a professional, the unethical and unprofessional experiences displayed at this organization are to many to name.

Advice to management includes replacing both the CEO and the board of directors 100%, ensure that all members are 100% unrelated to previous board members and founding members of this nonprofit. This will ensure an honest approach to providing for SED youth in the future.