Yelp Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated September 17, 2014
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees (in 26 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing. So thankful I found the position at Yelp.

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing people -Career Growth -Sales Development -Amazing Leadership

Cons

The only challenge is just trusting the process but they give you ample opportunity to learn the sales process.

Keep doing what you're doing. Amazing opportunity. Great leadership.

Excellent

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer)  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer) in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was an exciting experience. The training was quality and the job had a very social environment. The upper-level management does its best to boost morale and keep their employees happy by providing food and a unique culture.

Cons

I didn't experience too many challenges.

Keep it up

Jim Jones vs. Yelp

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

You aren't required to think, have access to free food (the same way an animal's "loyalty" is achieved at the zoo) , company paid benefits and drinking beer as early as 10:30am because you got a deal. Every team event being centered around alcohol. Plus you get to be a rep and have sex with your manager if you want to. You don't even have to be good at the job to go into management. Anyone can!

Cons

Where do I start? They love to hire people fresh out of college with no work experience. Then they make the office a paid version of college life. This is my first job and I was so excited about the opportunity. They lure you in with how much fun you get to have and how cool it is to be there. The culture is manufactured. The culture is just a parody of itself. This job doesn't prepare you for life in any way. You don't get any job skills because all they care about is making you dependent on staying there because you are afraid to leave. They tell horror stories of people who have left the company and are sleeping under a bridge in San Francisco somewhere (or something like that) because they want to keep you there. Everyone is in sales and from the moment you walk in not only are you sold on opportunity that does not exist, but you will sell a product that doesnt work. I feel bad making people sign up. All they care about is filing their hiring quotas. They will sell you success stories of other reps because they need names to sell that dream. I have seen employees leave to do other things and rather than wish them well they are crucified to the sales floor. Its not even a real job. Ice cream is yummy but eat it every day for 9 months straight and you will crave hamburger. You'd probably eat a live lobster. Having this company on your resume is career kill. Nobody will take you seriously because the party atmosphere is no secret. But you get free food. There's that.

Stop hiring 15 year olds to train and lead a team. Stop letting some of these managers gossip more than the reps. Stop firing people before they complete training. You hired them so stick it out with them. Stop setting us up to fail.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall Horrible Experience- Don't fall for Sexy brand name

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fun young office
    - Free food- breakfast and lunch
    - Good sales training
    - Cool brand that everyone knows

Cons

-Territories are not fair. Most small business owners you'll be calling have been pitched to at least five times and said no five times in the past few years.
    -Digital Plantation. Managers walk around and make sure you're always on the phone. Unrealistic metrics expectations- 80+ calls, 2.5 hours on the phone, 5 appts and 3 pitches per day.
    - Selling product that doesn't work for lots of businesses- loses people money.
    -You're constantly being sold on how awesome your job is and how lucky you are by management when in reality everyone there is miserable. Feels like brainwashing. Something is just really off about this place.
    -Crazy turnover. 50 people are being brought in and leaving every month. They take recent grads who have to move into expensive New York City and rent apartments when they know the chances are most won't even last a year.
    -Commission doesn't start until you hit a certain number- usually takes over 6 months. Horrible base salary.
    -They sell you on room for growth, but very little opportunity.

Adjust expectations to territories. Lower your metrics expectations. Stop bringing in 50 kids a month and brainwashing them while sending 40 others out the door.

Yelp makes cold-calling as bearable. The job and pay isn't that great but the atmosphere is nice.

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is young, a lot of free food, and benefits are nice.

Cons

Not a lot of work-life balance.
    Pay is below par.
    Commission structure is below the industry average.
    Have to sell $75,000 to start even making commission.

A higher starting salary as opposed to some other perks would be nice.

great experience, growing company

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Yelp treats their employees very well. Overall, there are a lot of opportunities and the company is growing as such as quick pace.

Cons

The ramp up period can be tough. The first 3 months are going to be a bit tough for your average sales person.

Everything is fine the way it is right now.

Decent place for a first job

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They do a good job promoting company culture
    - They give you a lot of tools to help make sales
    - Management is very transparent about where you stand
    - Stock options (although they are hard to come by now)

Cons

- Company has a lot of growing pains - Management is very inexperienced and unprofessional
    - They discourage you from taking vacation and you can't work from home
    - High pressure position with very little job security
    - Felt like I was working in a Frat house

Value your employees more and maybe they will stay longer than a year.

Elite Account Executive

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you've had other jobs, you will know Yelp stands out from the rest. It's energetic, supportive and team oriented. Yelp Advertising works, which makes your job a whole lot easier. It's hard to find a company that's fun to work for, sell a product your passionate about and one that doesn't feel like a job. Yelp cares about their employees. 401k match (up to $1,000 a year) when most companies either no longer offer it or take it away. Free food/drinks, gym reimbursement, plenty of PTO, ability to work from home, bonuses and several paid team/company off sites. Most employees leave Yelp thinking it's greener on the other side. Mainly because most new employees have nothing to compare it to or finding out that sales is just not for them. But in terms of current sales jobs out there, there's just no comparison. Usually it's just a matter of time before most come asking for their job back.

Cons

The environment is fun and exhilarating, but can be a touch loud at times. Making it difficult to hear yourself think. Other wise, keep doing what your doing!

Because Yelp is growing exponentially fast, Managers are being promoted who haven't been on the job that long. However they do their best with promoting the right people to get the job done. The employee group is very young and can sometimes feel like college.

There's a fine line between a "cool" environment, and a professional one, with no real individualized support.

Former Employee - Account Executive (Trainee)  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive (Trainee) in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits., fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks. Exciting for young, inexperienced college grads who like beer served to them at their workspace, and going to happy hour every night.

Cons

Telesales with blaring music in the background, constant loud noise, to the point where prospects are asking you,"what is going on there??". Low base salary, no private work spaces. Super-micro-managed!

I was terminated after three weeks after coming off of a very successful outside sales career of 15+ yrs. in a Fortune 100 Company. There was no sales quota for the 1st month, but was a quote to "pitch" to 10 small business owners in some remote part of the country. Week 1 was mostly classroom training, and on weeks 2-4 of the 1st month we hit the phones. In week 2 I was put on "warning" because management didn't feel that I was "on-pace" to hit that quota, whereas, I had a number of scheduled phone "appointments" lined up. In week 3 of the 1st month they fired me, without even giving me the chance to finish up my 10 "pitches" with still over a full week until month-end!, which I easily could have accomplished - unfair, no-chance policy. Some training manager packed up my personal effects, and i was walked out of the door.

Really fun if you're good at sales and are confident in the product.

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Yes, cold calling is repetitive, but you also have the freedom to choose who you want to call for whatever reasons you choose to call them, which means every conversation can be different from the last. You learn a lot about the different types of businesses that you end up calling. Ultimately, you're giving small businesses who do a good job a huge competitive edge. The office culture is very team oriented rather than competitive, which is great and very motivating.

Cons

I mean, you don't close every deal, and not succeeding in that sense can feel very frustrating.

Keep it up.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!