Yelp

Yelp Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman

Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees(in 25 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok(in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great experience, growing company

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYelp treats their employees very well. Overall, there are a lot of opportunities and the company is growing as such as quick pace.

ConsThe ramp up period can be tough. The first 3 months are going to be a bit tough for your average sales person.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is fine the way it is right now.

Decent place for a first job

Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- They do a good job promoting company culture
    - They give you a lot of tools to help make sales
    - Management is very transparent about where you stand
    - Stock options (although they are hard to come by now)

Cons- Company has a lot of growing pains - Management is very inexperienced and unprofessional
    - They discourage you from taking vacation and you can't work from home
    - High pressure position with very little job security
    - Felt like I was working in a Frat house

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more and maybe they will stay longer than a year.

Not Real Life

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFully stocked kitchen, lots of team events out of the office, can wear jeans or whatever i want pretty much every day.

ConsFrat house in a call center. Not an ideal set up for a real job or work environment. Come to learn but don't stick around too long. Cause you will never learn how to function at a normal company if you do. Straight from college? Oh boy. The ads do not work for businesses like they used to and i do not feel good about what i am selling people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring children to manage children. Then promoting those children to manage newer children. At least there was a honeymoon phase before. Now it just sucks completely. From day one and to this job search i am doing right now. I am getting out of there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Elite Account Executive

Elite Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you've had other jobs, you will know Yelp stands out from the rest. It's energetic, supportive and team oriented. Yelp Advertising works, which makes your job a whole lot easier. It's hard to find a company that's fun to work for, sell a product your passionate about and one that doesn't feel like a job. Yelp cares about their employees. 401k match (up to $1,000 a year) when most companies either no longer offer it or take it away. Free food/drinks, gym reimbursement, plenty of PTO, ability to work from home, bonuses and several paid team/company off sites. Most employees leave Yelp thinking it's greener on the other side. Mainly because most new employees have nothing to compare it to or finding out that sales is just not for them. But in terms of current sales jobs out there, there's just no comparison. Usually it's just a matter of time before most come asking for their job back.

ConsThe environment is fun and exhilarating, but can be a touch loud at times. Making it difficult to hear yourself think. Other wise, keep doing what your doing!

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause Yelp is growing exponentially fast, Managers are being promoted who haven't been on the job that long. However they do their best with promoting the right people to get the job done. The employee group is very young and can sometimes feel like college.

There's a fine line between a "cool" environment, and a professional one, with no real individualized support.

Account Executive (Trainee) (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits., fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks. Exciting for young, inexperienced college grads who like beer served to them at their workspace, and going to happy hour every night.

ConsTelesales with blaring music in the background, constant loud noise, to the point where prospects are asking you,"what is going on there??". Low base salary, no private work spaces. Super-micro-managed!

Advice to Senior ManagementI was terminated after three weeks after coming off of a very successful outside sales career of 15+ yrs. in a Fortune 100 Company. There was no sales quota for the 1st month, but was a quote to "pitch" to 10 small business owners in some remote part of the country. Week 1 was mostly classroom training, and on weeks 2-4 of the 1st month we hit the phones. In week 2 I was put on "warning" because management didn't feel that I was "on-pace" to hit that quota, whereas, I had a number of scheduled phone "appointments" lined up. In week 3 of the 1st month they fired me, without even giving me the chance to finish up my 10 "pitches" with still over a full week until month-end!, which I easily could have accomplished - unfair, no-chance policy. Some training manager packed up my personal effects, and i was walked out of the door.

Really fun if you're good at sales and are confident in the product.

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYes, cold calling is repetitive, but you also have the freedom to choose who you want to call for whatever reasons you choose to call them, which means every conversation can be different from the last. You learn a lot about the different types of businesses that you end up calling. Ultimately, you're giving small businesses who do a good job a huge competitive edge. The office culture is very team oriented rather than competitive, which is great and very motivating.

ConsI mean, you don't close every deal, and not succeeding in that sense can feel very frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

OVERALL

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing culture, food and music will keep you satisfied

ConsCOLD CALLS the whole day

Advice to Senior ManagementVERY HELPFUL ALWAYS THERE

Amazing culture but repetitive and exhausting

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- young crowd
    - egalitarian structure
    - fun, energetic people who love to party
    - room for growth

Cons- all you do is cold call, and a lot of times your dealing with hostile people who don't want to talk to you
    - high pressure, expected to call at least 80 people a day, pitch 3 times, set three appointment
    - territories you have been assigned are heavily "recycled" - at least three other people will have called in to it for years at a time
    - they expect you to call the same people at least 6 times

Advice to Senior Managementthey do a great job balancing out the pros over the cons, so make sure you know what you're signing up for

Excellent job and benefits

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood people, office morale is high

ConsYoung staff and too much going on at once

It's a Call Center!!!!

Junior Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe only pros about this place is the free bad food they supply for lunch and the music that you get to pick when you close a deal.

ConsAll young people who are brain wash to believe their are "Account Managers" when in reality they are telemarketers. You have to call 90something businesses throughout a day, pitch a certain amount, close at least a deal, etc. It was horrible. I was an Account manager prior to working here for a well known media company. I was under the impression I was going to be doing the SAME EXACT THING but just at Yelp with more opportunity. I came in on the first day to a "class" of about 50 kids under 25 years old, fresh out of college. Some were even given incentives to relocate. Since I quit, only about 5 of those kids are still currently employed by Yelp. All the others either gave up or were fired.

The benefits are good, zero career opportunity, absolutely NO work/life balance (I was calling into another time zone.. I had to stay late almost every night!) and the only culture 7 values of yelp is being a hipster. Worst place ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no management here, thats the problem

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!