Yelp

Yelp Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman

Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros:
  • "Free food, amazing benefits, beer in the office"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Having a stocked kitchen is nice (figure at least"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "You are selling to local business owners, and the product set isn't very diverse"
    in 13 reviews
  • "There tends to not be the best work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

OVERALL

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing culture, food and music will keep you satisfied

ConsCOLD CALLS the whole day

Advice to Senior ManagementVERY HELPFUL ALWAYS THERE

Great training and benefits

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

ProsDriven to succeed, daily updates for training and resources, treated as an adult for the most part. Great pay raise structure. Can wear whatever you want. Free Red Bull (and a bunch of other refreshments.

ConsBarging. Some managers try to have a full on conversation with you through your headset while you are trying to talk to a customer. It's very distracting and confusing. I get the benefits of a manger being able to give you pointers during a call but it should be kept short so that whatever they're telling you is still relevant once they've finished talking. I put a customer on mute to tell my manager that I wasn't able to hear what the customer was saying and I got fired an hour later.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe barge your managers to make sure they aren't making a situation worse.

The Hardest Easy Job I Ever Had.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsFun environment with mostly great people to work with. They are very relaxed while being serious and focused on the job. There are a lot of rewards and perks to working here, some of which may have changed over the years, but they definitely reward you for putting in the work. The amount of money you can make here with sales can be ridiculous.

ConsBut sales is the hard part. In my experience, this is where things were tricky and not the same for everyone. Yes, there are all different types of people, selling styles and techniques - but what i found to be the hardest was the luck-of-the-draw there was with territories in which you sold into. Over my two-year career, this was the major up-and-down factor in my success or failure. This is where some people make it big, or get fired. Sometimes, you don't have to even be a good sales person, just have to get a good territory.

Another small con, in my eyes, it is a very young and relaxed crowd and there aren't too many rules. With that, it seemed a lot of rules were bent or broken making it unfair or even uncomfortable to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice, is to step up the professionalism and following of conduct within the office. The amount of fraternization among managers and their associates inside and outside of the workplace was ridiculous. I won't go into detail, but a closer eye (and ear) should be kept to what's going on.

Great place to be an engineer

I have been working at Yelp

ProsGreat community for engineers. A place where you can grow and be a part of something that is not yet a machine.

ConsThe illusion of a flat company, open floor plan that causes distraction.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Yelp

ProsGreat company, free food, young culture

ConsPhone sales is very challenging

Excellent job and benefits

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

ProsGood people, office morale is high

ConsYoung staff and too much going on at once

Amazing culture but repetitive and exhausting

New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros- young crowd
- egalitarian structure
- fun, energetic people who love to party
- room for growth

Cons- all you do is cold call, and a lot of times your dealing with hostile people who don't want to talk to you
- high pressure, expected to call at least 80 people a day, pitch 3 times, set three appointment
- territories you have been assigned are heavily "recycled" - at least three other people will have called in to it for years at a time
- they expect you to call the same people at least 6 times

Advice to Senior Managementthey do a great job balancing out the pros over the cons, so make sure you know what you're signing up for

Tolerable but not incredible.

I have been working at Yelp

ProsGood company culture, they do a good job of keep things feeling fun.

ConsLower level management is preventing the company from growing.

Not for Everyone

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

ProsPretty awesome benefits. Great work life balance. The benefits are not as excessive as some of the other tech companies out there. I like to call these benefits golden handcuffs.

ConsNeed to be rejection proof. Lots of rejection from Business owners. There is a lot of good and bad press about Yelp. (the con being the bad press)

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to add here.

Enjoy the party

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that work here are the best part of this company. I really enjoy coming to work everyday because of the people around me. The atmosphere here is very light and fun.

ConsHigh call volume, don't get any say in your territory, pay is a little low compared to similar companies.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman. All 161 reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees.