Yelp Reviews

Reset
3.6
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Good work environment, free food (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • COLD CALLING nasty business owners who loathe Yelp (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I Learned More Here Than In Any Other Career

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales to local businesses is very challenging, however it's really rewarding. Yelp's advertising product is great and knowing that you can help a small business owner compete in their market and connect with their local community is totally worth it. I also loved the hands on approach to training and development. I've worked at other jobs where they give you packets and videos and expect you to learn from those materials. At Yelp they trained and helped me through 10's of different avenues.

Cons

I wish there was a less expensive package to sell businesses. Sometimes $$ can be tight and you want to help them somehow. Guess that's what the free products are for.

Advice to Management

I loved it at Yelp. Especially being on pilot teams and testing new approaches to sales. Keep that up. (I had to leave for personal reasons that took me to Dallas for a few years. Hoping to get back in at some point).

2. Great company!

Current Employee - Collections in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Collections in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Great company to work for! I love the company values and leadership development I've received

Cons

A lot of decisions are arbitrary and there is no appeals process

Senior Account Executive

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and fun atmosphere. Stocked kitchen. Able to do the job at your speed and take breaks when needed depending on your manager. Very energetic and fast paced office.

Cons

Very slow to implement changes within company to keep pace with online competitors - Google. Feedback from sales account executives is lost in translation to engineering and top level executives. Very young and sometimes inexperienced managers leading to authoritarian managing techniques ie, clock in at this time, hit call metrics or else.

Advice to Management

Hire more engineers to keep pace with customer needs and market changes. Hiring 50 people for sales and only having 5 of those people still with the company after the first year is not a good thing!

5. work`

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Low pay compared to other AE positions

Advice to Management

N/A

6. Great company, tough job

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bronx, NY

I worked at Yelp (Less than a year)

Pros

- amazing company culture - a lot of benefits - work with an amazing team and management - great training

Cons

- cold calling position - boring, tedious job

Advice to Management

- great training

7. good entry level job

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefit, good work life balance, free food, they pay for you gym membership, amazing sales training, helps you be succuessful in live

Cons

They promote some unqualified people - Pay is low - Can be frustrating - Low retention rate - Angry business owners - Review filter

Advice to Management

Listen more, don't promote so quickly,

8. Great Experience

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp (More than a year)

Pros

great company culture, very transparent, good benefits- gym reimbursement, stocked fridge with snacks, breakfast, and lunch foods, young, driven culture who also have the work hard, play hard mentality, tough sales quotas, but amazing training that provides you with all the tools to make you successful, if you can put your head down and consistently be willing to work hard- you'll find success in this role

Cons

open calling (cold calling) 45-70 businesses a day can really rack your brain, a positive outlook everyday is really important, the base pay isn't great so you want to put everything you can into hitting and exceeding quotas

Advice to Management

I don't have a ton of advice...they know what they're doing.

9. Nice

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales training team is impressive Communication skills Full sales cycle Vetting warm leads You work on figuring out the needs of different business and setting them up with the right as package

Cons

Stressful Slow upward mobility Cold calling all day Low pay

Advice to Management

Raise the base

10. Marketing Assistant

I have been working at Yelp part-time

Pros

Positive work environment. Lots of fun. Great learning experience. Challenging yet rewarding.

Cons

Not always informed of what is going on inside the company as a part-time employee.

Learn how to be a Sales God, but some downsides.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

The management: This job is completely contingent on what manager you get and their highers up. I had an incredible management/director team. Cold calling business owners all day is absolutely draining and if you don't have a rock solid manager behind you and you don't have an iron will you're going to crash and burn in a few months. I tried to make the job fun but there's only so much you can do. To continue with management, anytime I wanted I could put a 1:1 in my managers calendar if I needed to talk, or even my director or the head of sales. This is really cool how approachable they are and are willing to guide your development. The sales skills: A really helpful life skill I learned through this job is how to be an absolute pro at getting people to do what I want. You get trained on how to combat pretty much every objection and sell against any product. You learn how to convince business owners to say "screw the budget" and give you a credit card. Eg: Calling a business owner out of the blue and 1 hr later signing them up for a $7000 deal. If you have a good month you can make $2000+ in commission and eat very very well (once you close $30k in revenue of course). If you can succeed here you can pretty much do anything. Benefits: Benefits and gym subsidies are other cool parts. You get full health care, $60/month for gym, and a kitchen with some meats/cheeses/bagels/cereal. Not bad and saves you some money. Work-life balance is also on point- you can actually leave at 5:30 on the dot everyday if you want to. Some people don't do this and work through lunch/stay late and will judge you if you actually leave on time but oh well. Whether you're at 0k or at 20k for the month you can leave on time which is appreciated. Presentations: The initial 60 day training program is very thorough and you have 1-2 presentations a day during this period when you're not on the phones to teach you how to sell. After that period is over, the learning continues. There are optional trainings you can sign up for, one on ones with managers, etc. Sometimes guest speakers would come in and give presentations which were really helpful. Over the course of my tenure business owners came in, the CFO and CEO of the company, people teaching about professionalism and etiquette in the workplace, authors, etc.

Cons

The job: You are making 60-80 cold calls a day, setting appointments, pitching businesses on why they should sign up for Yelp Advertising, and closing the deal. If you try to use Linkedin to be smarter about mixed outreach you'll be told to get back on the phones. Be prepared to get hung up on, told no, cursed at, yelled at, told you're a terrorist right up there with Al Qaeda and Hamas, etc. There are very few inbound warm leads of people interested and they go to elites. You can try to make your own warm leads with business owners that have logged into their owner account but usually they are only on there to change hours or something trivial and don't want to get hit with sales calls. If you're lucky, you'll have 2 extended pitch conversations a day. Most of them will end in "too expensive" because YP/other online advertising starts at like $60/month and Facebook and Google have month to month options. It's your job to sell them on the value but I wish there were cheaper contract options as well as month to month. When you DO hit the gong, sometimes your deals won't count because of various reasons, like signature issues, other accounts you didn't know about, they were doing self serve and our CRM didn't update to reflect it, etc. Or maybe a business owner will decide a few days into their contract that they don't like the early termination fee and the account manager is like "OK, cool." Does it work? Sometimes: If you hit the gong, avoid comp issues, and actually have a lasting client, if they aren't tech savvy they start to get nervous a few months in when nothing is happening, and so if you have a heart you'll also take the role of account manager. The actual account managers don't do much to help business owners understand their tools, they don't really check in with them ever, and they don't really try to save the client if they want to cancel. And they don't have incentive to because they make 40-45k flat salary with no commission. The salary/benefits: As pretty much every other reviewer mentioned, the base salary starting out is abysmal. 36k to live in NYC or SF? two of the most expensive cities in the world? That makes you feel like you aren't valued whatsoever. They need to raise to 42 minimum. They're recruiting people from some of the best colleges in the world and even sending teams of reps there, then they expect high retention when they paid 200k in loans for an amazing school and are now making 36 a year? Yeah, sure, if you're an incredible rep and put up 30k a month you can hit Account Executive and go up to 44 then 52 - but you have to be damn good, not get screwed over by comp, and make lots of friends that give you split points. You get sick days/PTO but I would prefer personal days. I don't like pretending I'm sick because I need a downtime day every now and then. Hell, I'll even accept work from home days where I can pitch from home. Just be a little flexible, guys. 5 days a week forever is a monotonous grind and gets exhausting especially with the type of work we're doing. Bottom line: This product works really really well sometimes and really really not well othertimes. Our cost per click program generally gets decent results, but a ton of businesses don't have the inventory (searches happening) to justify it, so you still have to sell them overpriced, antiquated, CPM/impressions programs. If you're calling into NYC and sell a $550/mo performance based cost per click program or above they're probably going to crush it. If you're calling into Kentucky and selling an intro with 1000 ad impressions to a taco truck (because either they have no higher inventory or they do a 90 day trial at the $350/mo because they're morons and won't accept anything higher that might actually work) they're probably not going to see any type of return they'll be happy with. And us selling Boston Consulting Group and telling them to expect 3x return doesn't help matters. #yelpcareers: If you start in sales, your career is in sales. No moving around to PR or Communications or other areas of the company. You can be a manager if you put up 30k+ a month for 3 months, or you can do the same job for like 3 years as an Elite but you'll start making bank. They've needed to do more external marketing and education. There's currently no outreach in a lot of areas and that's why monthly viewers are starting to stagnate and people in Nowhere, FL still don't know anything about Yelp. So then someone fresh out of college gets to call these people and get told "I'm busy, go away" 80 times a day. That degree's getting put to good use!

Advice to Management

Change comp rules on deals to be fair and reward hard work (allow for selling to self serve businesses, etc), pay 6-9k more across the board. Move focus from cold calling to Linkedin social selling/smarter email targeting. Have "work from home" days or personal days like other tech companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed