Yelp Reviews

324 reviews filtered by
3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Spot to Start a Career

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Growth internally and around the world, culture, management truly cares about you. Great training and a solid place to gain fundamental skills for your career. Work life balance is a major plus.

Cons

Growth can make you feel like a small fish in a big pond.

2. Awesome company. Excellent work culture. They value their employees. I regret leaving.

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Excellent benefits, opportunity for growth.

Cons

Base salary for sales position is a bit low.

3. Great company and amazing opportunities.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing training program. Fun environment with fully stocked kitchen, games and lots of social activities. The work - life balance is great! They encourage 40 hour work weeks.. no more than that! The company is growing quickly which means lots of opportunities to move up.

Cons

I haven't been able to find one yet. I can't speak for the sales position but the account management side is great.

Keep it up!

5. I Learned More Here Than In Any Other Career

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales to local businesses is very challenging, however it's really rewarding. Yelp's advertising product is great and knowing that you can help a small business owner compete in their market and connect with their local community is totally worth it. I also loved the hands on approach to training and development. I've worked at other jobs where they give you packets and videos and expect you to learn from those materials. At Yelp they trained and helped me through 10's of different avenues.

Cons

I wish there was a less expensive package to sell businesses. Sometimes $$ can be tight and you want to help them somehow. Guess that's what the free products are for.

I loved it at Yelp. Especially being on pilot teams and testing new approaches to sales. Keep that up. (I had to leave for personal reasons that took me to Dallas for a few years. Hoping to get back in at some point).

6. Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young, professional and fun environment in San Francisco

Cons

Sales is sales. Constant challenge.

Management is constantly improving. No advice needed.

7. A company filled with great mentors and opportunity for growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of course things like free food, coffee and beer are great but my favorite part about working at Yelp was the people. Most of the departments I worked with (which included almost all) were always willing to lend a hand and make compromises for you to reach your own goals. Management tries to find opportunities for you to grow as en employee and as a person. Yelp has given me tools and skills that I have been able to bring to my next employer.

Cons

Having to deal with the small business owners that don't truly understand how Yelp works. Constantly being accused of extortion can be offensive and draining.

Stick with your original Yelp values and continue to hire people that may not have a tremendous amount of experience but are willing to learn and be dedicated to seeing Yelp succeed.

8. good

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

good life work balance. good coworkers

Cons

not many senior people. lacking mentroship

Fun while it lasted (engineering position)

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Yelp for several years, and will always miss the people. Yelp felt very family-like: friendly and open-minded folks, good communication throughout. These are folks you would want to hang out with on the weekends like BFFs. In fact, I might be spoiled by them; I now expect the same kind of warmth and friendliness from future employers and colleagues.

Good supply of snacks and drinks. The current office (140 New Montgomery) is beautifully done, though might be a little too spread-out for some areas.

Average compensation, though the benefits (401k, health insurance) are pretty average.

From the engineering side, the codebase is so old and badly written in many places, that, depending on what team you're on and the kind of challenges you fancy, this can be a godsend (you love fixing things), or a curse (you love new stuff).

I might have a long list of cons below, but I still would recommend Yelp.

Cons

I feel like Yelp may be over-reaching on their core values. They have a vision, for sure, but it's a very broad vision, and not very focused. The higher-ups tend to wear rose-colored glasses when discussing company statistics. I wish they were a little more humble and frank.

Also, at times the company seems risk-averse. Expanding to other countries: no problem. Delivering a better user experience: jump through bureaucratic hurdles. Certain projects can takes years of planning and back-and-forth because they really don't want to lose users or revenue, however small that may be, and/or managers keep leaving. Innovation takes a back-seat.

Previously, I mentioned the codebase. It's... so ugly that implementing innovative features is an absolute chore. Deploying code is done serially through a person rather than an automated parallel system, which became a HUGE bottleneck when the engineering department grew astronomically in the past couple of years.

Lastly, growth. The company is growing fast, and not really in a good way. I can only speak for the engineering department, and it grew a LOT during my time there. Unfortunately, the industry-experts:new-grads ratio is very low. As a result, you'll get one-year Yelp employees mentoring new hires, and sometimes, a one-year employee ends up as manager. Not that that employee doesn't deserve it, but there are still two- and three-year folks around, and they get passed over.

Great place for your first job

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Great, young atmosphere and excellent training

Cons

Difficult to manage so many accounts and compensation

11. Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Great work culture. The people are great and if you do well there is some room for growth. When I say some I mean very little.

Cons

Company has no direction. Its pretty much a sweat shop for young undervalued employees.

learn how to coach things other than value