Yelp Reviews

Reset
3.6
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Good work environment, free food (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • COLD CALLING nasty business owners who loathe Yelp (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I Learned More Here Than In Any Other Career

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales to local businesses is very challenging, however it's really rewarding. Yelp's advertising product is great and knowing that you can help a small business owner compete in their market and connect with their local community is totally worth it. I also loved the hands on approach to training and development. I've worked at other jobs where they give you packets and videos and expect you to learn from those materials. At Yelp they trained and helped me through 10's of different avenues.

Cons

I wish there was a less expensive package to sell businesses. Sometimes $$ can be tight and you want to help them somehow. Guess that's what the free products are for.

Advice to Management

I loved it at Yelp. Especially being on pilot teams and testing new approaches to sales. Keep that up. (I had to leave for personal reasons that took me to Dallas for a few years. Hoping to get back in at some point).

2. Amazing Company, Tough but Rewarding Job

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

- Fun, young environment - Yelp hires interesting, unique, amazing people, so you'll love your coworkers - Comprehensive sales training program - Never-ending opportunities for promotion and increase in pay - Full health and medical benefits. - Other perks like free food and fun off-sites

Cons

- You'll have many, many difficult conversations with business owners who are very angry with Yelp - High pressure to perform - Cold calling is always a grind, no matter what company you work for

Advice to Management

Focus more on relationship building with potential clients and less on one call closes. Consider changing the quota from a monthly amount to a quarterly amount for senior reps.

3. Great environment

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Good working environment Good compensation Flexible hours The benefits are good Strong communication Management is very helpful and keeps everyone task orientated

Cons

After a while the job gets old, honestly I think this company is slowly going downhill. Cold calling is the worst, no one ever wants to hear from you. I feel as is I was a member of the "yelp mafia" making people pay for "insurance" in case their retail store "caught on fire"

Advice to Management

Work with team members to develop a better way of greeting potential customers, send out flyers to business with a proof of delivery stamp from USPS so you know they have received it. once they have received it, THEN call the.

5. Account executive

Pros

Great work environment. Great benefits. Defined goals and career development.

Cons

It's phone sales so you need to be able to overcome daily objections and keep a positive attitude.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to fire people. It seems like we are focused so much on hiring they are bringing on the wrong people.

6. Great culture; genuinely good smart people; fantastic app that everyone relies upon

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Greatest group of top leaders you could ever hope to work for -- down-to-earth, very smart, skilled mangers, highly accessible. This is a very warm, welcoming culture that is established from the very top; I credit Jeremy for setting the tone and expectations. People are humble, work hard to get important things done, and have a good time with one another.

Cons

Some newly minted managers should be given more training and perhaps mentorship. I can see some bumps down the road for them, and they may not be best prepared on how to handle.

Advice to Management

Keep growing while retaining this awesome culture. It's a joy to work at Yelp!

7. Great Place

Pros

Great Culture, great people to work with! Accelerators are great, great commission structure.

Cons

Salaries below industry benchmarks, not at all competitive.

Advice to Management

Up the base company wide then you will continue to attract the best of the best!

8. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ

I have been working at Yelp (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, Great Top management, incentives based off of performance, commission is great for those who get after it

Cons

None I can think of

9. Fun atmoshpere

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people, good training program, good experience. If you get dealt the right cards (territories, manager, director, etc) life is pretty good. I was positioned well and was able to get in good graces with the right people.

Cons

Upper management and management aren't fully equipped as the rapid growth is promoting unprepared individuals who have suckled at the power teet. Very political and bias is usually involved within company (ie: territories, missing quota and keeping individual around, promotions, etc).

10. sales review

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are all fun, outgoing and it's an upbeat office environment.

Cons

Stressful, too fast-paced at times. Low salary when you are starting out as an AE but the draw is the opportunity to make uncapped commission.

11. Great Company, great opportunity if you do well

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Culture - Great People - Great Benefits

Cons

- low pay - commission not paid until certain threshold

Advice to Management

Great job with making a good work environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed