Yelp

Updated March 4, 2015
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Spot to Start a Career

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Growth internally and around the world, culture, management truly cares about you. Great training and a solid place to gain fundamental skills for your career. Work life balance is a major plus.

Cons

Growth can make you feel like a small fish in a big pond.

Career or Telemarketer?

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Well known company in a high growth period.
    Household name may look good on resume.
    Great training program for cold-call sales.
    Promote from within.
    Transparency.
    Fun young environment.
    Work life balance.
    Fully stocked kitchen and great benefits.

Cons

All you do is cold call all day.
    Management is young and inexperienced.
    Starting salary is horrible.
    Promotions aren't what they seem.
    Insanely high turnover.
    You're only as good as your last sale.
    Glorified telemarketing job.

So, this place is amazing if you truly have a passion for cold-call sales. But if not, stay away (unless you need a good name on the resume for leverage). The job entails finding leads on SalesForce and literally calling them out of the blue, setting appointments with the business owners, and pitching them on why they should give your their money to advertise on Yelp. Expectations per day are about 80 calls, 2 hours of talk time, and 1-2 pitches. The "pitching" part is honestly pretty fun but getting there is hard and 90% of the job will always be making open cold-calls, which in my opinion is too monotonous for me. Promotions are given when you reach a certain amount of sales, however despite pay raises the actual job never really changes nor do you assume any more responsibility. You just receive a different title to put on your resume. Although, you can decide to go into management over time and manage a team or move into selling mid-market and national brands, but like I said it still all involves cold-calling for the majority of the job. This reason for me is a deal breaker because if I'm not planning to stay here forever (or work as a cold-calling salesman forever, which I'm not) the only thing I can really say I've gotten good at is cold-call sales which really isn't that valuable of a skill to me. However, If you do really like this type of sales than the opportunity to make a lot of money is great if you become really good, and by really good I mean within top 10% of your hire-class. The other 90% either quit or get fired within the 1st year so enter at your own risk. Starting salary is 36K. The average employee becomes available to earn commission on top of that after about 6 months. Commission is uncapped and the top performers (about 10% of the people who are left) are making 6 figures within their 2nd - 3rd year on the job. Extremely rare but people do it.

Account Executive

I worked at Yelp

Pros

The coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee.

Cons

Management is not organized, the so call HR department does not really exists. The pay is just at the margin of poverty. This is the perfect job for a college student trying to get experience in the start up business. This college student needs to live at home with parents and make sure you don''t have any debts. Due to the poor salary that Yelp is willing to offer you, there is absolutely way that you can make in San Francisco expensive/ cost of living. I give the Company another 10 years before it becomes a well managed, stable company.

Fire the management and start over.

Telemarketing Boiler Room

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work in a room full of college kids that love to party and socialize - not a pro for all workers, but I enjoyed it.

Cons

Whenever I feel oppressed or upset in my current job, I try to remember my time at Yelp, and I feel much better. The starting pay is literally below the San Francisco poverty line.

Seriously, if you want to be underpaid, lied to, and devalued as an employee, work here. Yes, managers sleep with their employees. Yes, employee drug use is rampant. Yes, Yelp employs dodgy sales tactics. Small business owner with a Yelp listing? You've been called 200+ times by 6 different employees (who all don't work there anymore) in the last 3 years.

The very job title is a lie. Account Executive? What "Accounts" am I responsible for? This is inside sales/telemarketing, straight up. No sales skills, no personal nuance - read the script and play the 100/10/1 numbers game. Plain and simple. Once you make the sale, you ring the gong, and your new account gets handed to the real account executive.

Drug test your managers. Don't fire your high achieving sales staff. Move the sales office to a less expensive city.

Run as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of other young people to make friends with. Free food. Gym stipend. Good health benefits.

Cons

You will want to end your life daily.
    Degrading work.
    TERRIBLE pay.
    A slave to the system of territories.
    Party atmosphere.
    You will be treated like you're in a frat and then BERATED by management in the most humiliating ways.
    Shady, shady in terms of professionalism/interoffice romance.
    Need to be in the in crowd to have any shot at promotion.

Stop promoting "the cool kids" only.

Utter disappointment

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great starting point. They teach you what you need to know. And some great tools you're able to take with you to your next job. Depending on your manager, the culture is great. You'll meet life long friends.

Cons

Where do I begin? The pay SUCKS! You think you're going into the job as an Account Executive- you're not. You're starting from the very bottom. It's all cold calling and the management team drinks and forces the kook aide. There's absolutely no room for growth. You can work your butt off- yet that doesn't matter because you can't hit quota. And you can't hit quota because you've been given horrible opportunities. And you can't say its your opportunities- they'll blame you! They tell you to trust the process- it's a bunch of bologna. The ethics as well is horrible. "We want to help small businesses" no actually we're hurting them. And I'll be the first to apologize and take responsibility for a corporation that doesn't stand behind their mission statement.

I had a wonderful manager. But one thing I would change and suggest for the company: stop forcing the kook aide. Jeremy- stop telling people they should live in San Francisco. You're paying us close to the poverty line. It's unrealistic. And for gods sake find a sanitary way to serve the bread, meat and cheese.

Worst - Run Modern Sales Org on Earth

Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Working with great people and a shiny new office

Cons

Complete lack of tranparency, impossible to move out of the sales org, almost no understanding of an effective modern sales process, laughable compensation.

(Sales Org only): Read Predictable Revenue

Worst experience ever at a tech company. SHADY business plan.

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Morally Bankrupting type of environment.

Cons

Never in my years have I seen such blatant disregard for the truth. The "algorithm" is flawed and hurting small business nation wide. Told to hush up about "the little people" and that the "algorithm" was not to be changed.
    You will be asked to fight "flagged reviews", in order to leave them on people's accounts, regardless of truth. I have never seen a business refuse to remove information that is being asked to be removed, either via email or lawsuit.

What yelp stands for is what's wrong in the world. I'm sorry but a review from years ago should not be relevant, and the fact they can't upgrade the "algorithm" is BS. I programmed a solution to remove bad reviews after 1 year, and was promptly fired. (Don't go above and beyond at this job, clearly.)

Fun fact, YELP in fact DOES charge to remove bad reviews, via Cold Calling from their sales staff.
    Shady Shady Shady.

I feel dirty working for such an irresponsible company who blatantly disregards requests from struggling business owners.

Find a job that has integrity, morals and betters the world. Not something as pathetic as a "review site" that shows somebody's 'opinion' from 4 years ago that isn't currently relevant. Sweet baby J, you had potential, and decided to be the greedy 'by any means necessary' company it has grown into today.

Update: Commission is Capped Btw

Current Employee - Account Executive Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The friday happy hours. Everything else off-site also being centered around alcohol. The best way to improve attrition is creating dependency on alcohol. And then reminding them that there's nothing what better while they are too wasted and exhausted from vomiting to disagree. They do is because they really care about their reps. That's a pro for sure.

Cons

Lets see.
    Probably the desperation I saw today as the directors sold us the biggest bill of goods of a time rather than just admit that this company is losing. We used to be cool and hip and exciting but now even the best reps in the company can only manage mediocre numbers. The cancellation rate is crazy and when the public and investors learn what a sinking ship its become its going to be embarrassing.
    They are trying to pull out a the stops to keep us there. But it doesn't matter if nobody wants advertising that is a money suck.
    I am not venting. Anyone considering this opportunity should understand what they are walking into. It's not a stable situation anymore.

Stop lying to us. Stop putting on a brave face and telling us its still okay because Yelp works. Stop trying to give us false hope to buy you more time to figure out where we go from here.

If you love Tsar based Russian serfdom you'll love local sales at Yelp!

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

CEO genuinely cares about his company
    Brand recognition works when you decide to get a real job

Cons

-As sales you're a second class citizen / disposable and you'll be reminded of that fact.
    -50% of the salesforce quit after a year of working there.
    -You're selling a product that as a advertising platform works sometimes.
    -You're managed by people that are proud of the fact they drink the Yelp kool aid.
    -Don't let them fool you with so much room to grow. There is no room for career advancement other then you managing 12 other sales folks and taking on their quota.