Yelp Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 32 reviews)

• Young minds at work, high energy, room for a lot of growth, stocked kitchen (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 19 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Froud

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Criminal prosecution on the way

Cons

removing positive review and lying to customers

runs as far as you can

Cold Calling is so yesterday business approach. This is why you will make a 100 calls with no leads.

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Beautiful office, nice friendly people, lots of space and food.

Cons

All you do is cold calling all day to people who will never want to talk to you. Also this is not a place with diversity, at times I felt like I was somewhere in the Midwest and not in San Francisco.

Some of the sales manager are great people, very helpful and have excellent personalities, other ones will make you wonder how they got a sales position at all, super unfriendly and arrogant, know it all, I would say must be the job duties that they have, after a while it probably takes a toll on them, I noticed the unfriendly ones were usually the ones that were there for a much longer time. They hire kids to do sales jobs, not professionals, the less you know the better. I would definitely recommend this job to anyone who has recently graduated and need some sales experience. Go there work for a few months then get out!

Overall Horrible Experience- Don't fall for Sexy brand name

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Fun young office
    - Free food- breakfast and lunch
    - Good sales training
    - Cool brand that everyone knows

Cons

-Territories are not fair. Most small business owners you'll be calling have been pitched to at least five times and said no five times in the past few years.
    -Digital Plantation. Managers walk around and make sure you're always on the phone. Unrealistic metrics expectations- 80+ calls, 2.5 hours on the phone, 5 appts and 3 pitches per day.
    - Selling product that doesn't work for lots of businesses- loses people money.
    -You're constantly being sold on how awesome your job is and how lucky you are by management when in reality everyone there is miserable. Feels like brainwashing. Something is just really off about this place.
    -Crazy turnover. 50 people are being brought in and leaving every month. They take recent grads who have to move into expensive New York City and rent apartments when they know the chances are most won't even last a year.
    -Commission doesn't start until you hit a certain number- usually takes over 6 months. Horrible base salary.
    -They sell you on room for growth, but very little opportunity.

Adjust expectations to territories. Lower your metrics expectations. Stop bringing in 50 kids a month and brainwashing them while sending 40 others out the door.

There are better places to work in the bay area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks/beer/beverages, San Francisco location, fun people and offsite events

Cons

Low pay, shady business practices, poor & inexperienced leadership, cutthroat, fratty environment

Offer your non-engineering employees the same perks you give to engineers. Clean up legacy managers that don't know how to manage their people or do their job well.

Low Pay

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Happy hours, great location, gym stipend

Cons

Not sure how you'd live in the city with this pay

Stay out of this place at all costs

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good brand recognition and casual environment. I have used Yelp to rate restaurants in the past before.

Cons

Pay is not good...the environment really depends on the manager that you get, and they work you to death. Little work-life balance. Some incompetent individuals who talk more than execute.

Train your people in true leadership practices and manage them more effectively.

It's a Call Center!!!!

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pros about this place is the free bad food they supply for lunch and the music that you get to pick when you close a deal.

Cons

All young people who are brain wash to believe their are "Account Managers" when in reality they are telemarketers. You have to call 90something businesses throughout a day, pitch a certain amount, close at least a deal, etc. It was horrible. I was an Account manager prior to working here for a well known media company. I was under the impression I was going to be doing the SAME EXACT THING but just at Yelp with more opportunity. I came in on the first day to a "class" of about 50 kids under 25 years old, fresh out of college. Some were even given incentives to relocate. Since I quit, only about 5 of those kids are still currently employed by Yelp. All the others either gave up or were fired.

The benefits are good, zero career opportunity, absolutely NO work/life balance (I was calling into another time zone.. I had to stay late almost every night!) and the only culture 7 values of yelp is being a hipster. Worst place ever.

There is no management here, thats the problem

Great product but they just don't seem to care about their employees.

Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer - Production in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer - Production in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Great product with an amazing future.
    2. Some of the smartest people you will ever meet work at Yelp.
    3. They do offer 30 days to opt our of their "Dispute Resolution Policy" upon starting. I encourage everyone to do so.

Cons

1. The way HR and management interacts with employees brings the term "Digital Plantation" to mind.
    2. The company seems to have the HR and management processes of a 10 person start up although they are now a large publicly traded company.
    3. This company just doesn't care about employees and does nothing to create a culture of empowerment.

1. Get to work on your HR and management processes.
    2. Care about your employees.

Call center with virtually no opportunity for long term growth.

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Good training program, good benefits.

Cons

Selling an overprices CPM program that won't help 99% of business owner.
    Total chop shop. No control over territories and if you miss quota for a couples months you'll be out of a job.

A lot of hype with no support

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

stocked kitchens, start up young atmosphere, kegs in the office, paid holidays, and great benefits

Cons

No support dealing with clients. Spotty training. Very stressful. Call center atmosphere.

Better training for all departments. If you have to continuously tell your new hires how lucky they are to be "chosen" to work here. there is a serious issue! I know every employee is replaceable!