Yelp

Yelp Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman

Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees(in 26 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok(in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

great experience, growing company

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYelp treats their employees very well. Overall, there are a lot of opportunities and the company is growing as such as quick pace.

ConsThe ramp up period can be tough. The first 3 months are going to be a bit tough for your average sales person.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is fine the way it is right now.

Decent place for a first job

Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- They do a good job promoting company culture
    - They give you a lot of tools to help make sales
    - Management is very transparent about where you stand
    - Stock options (although they are hard to come by now)

Cons- Company has a lot of growing pains - Management is very inexperienced and unprofessional
    - They discourage you from taking vacation and you can't work from home
    - High pressure position with very little job security
    - Felt like I was working in a Frat house

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more and maybe they will stay longer than a year.

Great job for the right fit

Junior Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsUpbeat company culture, fun young group of people, stocked kitchens, kegs, happy hours

ConsMust be okay with rejection...lots and lots of rejection.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the square peg, round hole concept a little better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

Account Executive (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsUncapped income, competitive base salary, great culture! Growth is crazy fast and there are always opportunities for movement within the company!

ConsThe demographic is mostly young.. if you are over 25 you will feel old.

Great beginner company for corporate minded individuals

Junior Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThey have amazing perks(free food, happy hour on friday, offsite team outings, give-a-ways, commission checks), The people who run the company really care about their employees happiness and success. They always work with you in trying to get you to that next level, and you're always very aware of where you stand.

ConsBeing an advertising salesman/woman. The day to day grind of cold calling prospective clients is taxing on anyone who has a conscience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very clear it's a cold-calling job. Give people relocating across the country more money to do so. Get the training process down a little bit better

Cool if you like sales

Sales Trainee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEnvironment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into)

ConsStressful, boring, no real skills learned. You are a telemarketer.

Advice to Senior Managementmake more creative positions for talented graduates

Great Experience and Growth

Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsBuild an understanding of business and advertising in a fast paced environment with excellent training for growth.

ConsLearn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok.

Sexy Brand, Not So Sexy Compensation

Elite Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a really well known brand (now), fun company culture, great co-workers.

ConsTerritory distribution is REALLY bad, and a rookie might end up with a better territory than a seasoned vet. They will lie about the territory they give you to try to convince you it is better than it really is. Salary is REALLY low. I went to another company and make $120/year with benefits. At Yelp the most I made was $70K, and I was in the top 1% of reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting children to management.

Great place to work

ProsCulture, Benefits, environment. You can't ask for more.

ConsIt is still a very difficult job, but that's not necessarily a con.

Tedious and Rough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement is cool, lots of love and constant assistance.

ConsMicro management, your boss is like a buddy and that can be complicated at times, it gets ridiculously monotonous and the pay sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. The job is made to churn you out in about a year and the turnover is a bit crazy. But it works for the management- the people that ultimately are insanely successful to end up sticking around for longer (however few that may be) and that works for them.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!