Yelp

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

One stop shop for any size business

Current Employee - Director of Social Media in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of Social Media in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great stable company from A-Z too many pros to name off. Fast paced customer service orientated company designed for any size business.

Cons

Nothing bad to comment about this company. My experience has been all positive and beneficial in all areas inside and out.

Great Job Very Knowledgeable

Yelp is an amazing company. Surprisingly intimate considering how fast it is growing.

Current Employee - Account Executive Sales
    Current Employee - Account Executive Sales

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Best Sales Training Program in the Bay Area!
    Energetic environment.
    Kind and talented coworkers; some of the brightest around!
    Opportunity for advancement in in sales-team management.
    Opportunity to learn from peers and share ideas.
    Ability to own personal development and work independently while having the support of a team!
    Good benefits.
    Ethical agenda.
    Senior Management hosts meetings monthly with local sales teams to garner feedback. VERY COOL!
    CEO communicates with employees in the form of fun videos.
    Learning and development tools.

Cons

High turn-over due to burnout. You can really feel how the sales environment is about turning and burning employees who might only stick around long enough until it looks good enough on a resume. Turning and burning of territories.
    Low Salary - nearly impossible to balance: rent in (pricy) San Francisco, student loan payments, car payment (should I just sell it), groceries, transportation etc.
    Short sales cycle.
    Less emphasis placed on consultative sales stye, more emphasis placed on steam roll closes.
    Managers not always promoted according merit/coaching abilities, but politics or bottom line sales numbers.
    Lots of Kool-Aid drinking and and pouring by management. Sometimes get the feeling that management is trying to "sell you" on an idea.

Yelp's floor directors are pretty amazing. They seem to know what they are doing and they are willing to help if/when issues arise. They are also up for a cup of coffee if you just want to get to know them!

Community Management and Marketing

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.

Not what it's cracked up to be

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay incentives
    Great company culture
    Very intensive training

Cons

Pretty much just cold calls. Gets old FAST

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture was interesting. It was great to have some snacks, drinks, a great coffee bar & happy hour w free beer after work. Coworkers were great! You easily make friends if you're in your 20s (like 90% of the sales floor) & a good number of people moved to San Francisco for the job, so everyone is down to explore!

Although I did not have a good experience with the work, it is a great place to start if you are REALLY interested in INSIDE SALES. You move up quickly if this is the particular career path you're looking for.

Cons

This position is extremely limited for horizontal growth within the company. Your Managers & the leaders of the company do not try to develop you as a whole-person, but rather they are only looking to help you grow within your sales role. Also, they start you at a small wage compared to many companies in the same zip code and lead by motivation with your future commission.

This role is extremely demanding. Their expectations are high (in a bad way) & want you to become numb to your work. The company values seem to purely be about growth, money & revenue. This was a sad realization because I really did love the product before I started working here. I will continue to support it, but with an awareness of how the company works. Sales employees are as replaceable as the paper printout of your name.

I believe you should motivate more with having employees believe in the product, not just the money side of the job.

Intern

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Super fun, get to know people at the office. Very young, vibrant company culture.

Cons

The only con I could think of is if you don't like a steady schedule I wouldn't recommend this. Schedule varies depending on events that happen.

Keep it up! I loved having independent projects.

Good but hard

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I hear a lot of negative commentary on Yelp's sales org. There's no doubt it's a grind, but if you're willing to put in the effort and maintain a positive attitude, it is worth it. The people are great, the culture is young and fun, the benefits are good (ESPP!) and the beer is plentiful.

Cons

Compensation has changed a lot over the years, but it's still hard to ramp up. The first 6 months were pretty brutal but once you get in a rhythm, it picks up.

If you love Tsar based Russian serfdom you'll love local sales at Yelp!

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

CEO genuinely cares about his company
    Brand recognition works when you decide to get a real job

Cons

-As sales you're a second class citizen / disposable and you'll be reminded of that fact.
    -50% of the salesforce quit after a year of working there.
    -You're selling a product that as a advertising platform works sometimes.
    -You're managed by people that are proud of the fact they drink the Yelp kool aid.
    -Don't let them fool you with so much room to grow. There is no room for career advancement other then you managing 12 other sales folks and taking on their quota.

Yelp Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive environment. Relaxed work style. Relatively small engineering body so impact is high. There is no corporate ladder, there are only engineers, managers, CTO, CEO. Overall it's a great place to work.

Cons

They don't serve breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The stock is not doing that well. There doesn't seem to be a lot of growth or excitement.

You really have to love sales to love this job.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, free food and kegs in building.

Cons

Cold-calling at your desk all day, constantly getting yelled at.