Yelp Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees (in 26 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Peers, Very Shaky Management

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The peers you work with are awesome. You get to instantly make a lot of friends that are young and eager to work. Training is a great asset to my future

Cons

The management is terrible. Floor managers are for the most part garbage. They are young and inexperienced. A lot of inner work relationships and are very clicky on the high level. Not transparent at all.

Higher older people to manage your young staff. Why would you hire managers after one year of work experience? Why would you hire 26 year old to manage people from the ages of 22-45 years old. Pay your top producers more. You are losing out on keeping top producers because your pay structure is weak at best. If you wanted to grow within, maybe not hire 50 people every month... People quit because they are not getting paid and can go somewhere else very quickly.

Froud

Current Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Criminal prosecution on the way

Cons

removing positive review and lying to customers

runs as far as you can

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sales training is great for an entry level salesperson to learn the basics of how to cold call. They provide free snacks, drinks and beer.

Cons

It's a stressful work environment that doesn't pay well. They give you left over leads while the warm ones (businesses that are interested in signing up) to the senior sales people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cold Calling is so yesterday business approach. This is why you will make a 100 calls with no leads.

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Beautiful office, nice friendly people, lots of space and food.

Cons

All you do is cold calling all day to people who will never want to talk to you. Also this is not a place with diversity, at times I felt like I was somewhere in the Midwest and not in San Francisco.

Some of the sales manager are great people, very helpful and have excellent personalities, other ones will make you wonder how they got a sales position at all, super unfriendly and arrogant, know it all, I would say must be the job duties that they have, after a while it probably takes a toll on them, I noticed the unfriendly ones were usually the ones that were there for a much longer time. They hire kids to do sales jobs, not professionals, the less you know the better. I would definitely recommend this job to anyone who has recently graduated and need some sales experience. Go there work for a few months then get out!

Excellent

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer)  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer) in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was an exciting experience. The training was quality and the job had a very social environment. The upper-level management does its best to boost morale and keep their employees happy by providing food and a unique culture.

Cons

I didn't experience too many challenges.

Keep it up

Overall Horrible Experience- Don't fall for Sexy brand name

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fun young office
    - Free food- breakfast and lunch
    - Good sales training
    - Cool brand that everyone knows

Cons

-Territories are not fair. Most small business owners you'll be calling have been pitched to at least five times and said no five times in the past few years.
    -Digital Plantation. Managers walk around and make sure you're always on the phone. Unrealistic metrics expectations- 80+ calls, 2.5 hours on the phone, 5 appts and 3 pitches per day.
    - Selling product that doesn't work for lots of businesses- loses people money.
    -You're constantly being sold on how awesome your job is and how lucky you are by management when in reality everyone there is miserable. Feels like brainwashing. Something is just really off about this place.
    -Crazy turnover. 50 people are being brought in and leaving every month. They take recent grads who have to move into expensive New York City and rent apartments when they know the chances are most won't even last a year.
    -Commission doesn't start until you hit a certain number- usually takes over 6 months. Horrible base salary.
    -They sell you on room for growth, but very little opportunity.

Adjust expectations to territories. Lower your metrics expectations. Stop bringing in 50 kids a month and brainwashing them while sending 40 others out the door.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable office enviroment
    Nice people
    Bright future

Cons

Current headquarter is a little bit compact.

Jim Jones vs. Yelp

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

You aren't required to think, have access to free food (the same way an animal's "loyalty" is achieved at the zoo) , company paid benefits and drinking beer as early as 10:30am because you got a deal. Every team event being centered around alcohol. Plus you get to be a rep and have sex with your manager if you want to. You don't even have to be good at the job to go into management. Anyone can!

Cons

Where do I start? They love to hire people fresh out of college with no work experience. Then they make the office a paid version of college life. This is my first job and I was so excited about the opportunity. They lure you in with how much fun you get to have and how cool it is to be there. The culture is manufactured. The culture is just a parody of itself. This job doesn't prepare you for life in any way. You don't get any job skills because all they care about is making you dependent on staying there because you are afraid to leave. They tell horror stories of people who have left the company and are sleeping under a bridge in San Francisco somewhere (or something like that) because they want to keep you there. Everyone is in sales and from the moment you walk in not only are you sold on opportunity that does not exist, but you will sell a product that doesnt work. I feel bad making people sign up. All they care about is filing their hiring quotas. They will sell you success stories of other reps because they need names to sell that dream. I have seen employees leave to do other things and rather than wish them well they are crucified to the sales floor. Its not even a real job. Ice cream is yummy but eat it every day for 9 months straight and you will crave hamburger. You'd probably eat a live lobster. Having this company on your resume is career kill. Nobody will take you seriously because the party atmosphere is no secret. But you get free food. There's that.

Stop hiring 15 year olds to train and lead a team. Stop letting some of these managers gossip more than the reps. Stop firing people before they complete training. You hired them so stick it out with them. Stop setting us up to fail.

Best work experience I have ever had.

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The team orientated culture and the willingness of the managers to come to your aid

Cons

The only thing that makes this job bad is the fact its cold calling

Keep doing everything the way you are.

Yelp makes cold-calling as bearable. The job and pay isn't that great but the atmosphere is nice.

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is young, a lot of free food, and benefits are nice.

Cons

Not a lot of work-life balance.
    Pay is below par.
    Commission structure is below the industry average.
    Have to sell $75,000 to start even making commission.

A higher starting salary as opposed to some other perks would be nice.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!