Yelp Reviews

Reset

1. Great Company, great opportunity if you do well

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Culture - Great People - Great Benefits

Cons

- low pay - commission not paid until certain threshold

Advice to Management

Great job with making a good work environment.

2. Yelp has done well by me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Lots of opportunity for growth - Management takes issues seriously - Very fun work environment - No one's looking over my shoulder to make sure I get things done - Awesome, awesome, awesome work/life balance

Cons

- Some people managers shouldn't be people managers - Growth is available, but may have to be self-directed

Advice to Management

I still dig the all-hands meetings we have. Thanks for doing them--always cool to see the executive board together, and to to discuss the cool things we've been doing to keep our company a great place to work.

3. Yelp!!!

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

It was a very cool compnay to work for , and I I had a ton of fun. I would glady go back if I still lived in Arizona.

Cons

Sometimes the management seem to be too demanding and the pay wasn't all that great for the work that was being done.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if they paid more attention to the workers. but for the most part they did a great job and made it a very fun place to work at.

5. Good opportunity

Former Employee - Account Executive in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Brookline, MA

I worked at Yelp (More than a year)

Pros

Great training for entry level sales. excellent opportunity to network

Cons

the job is tedius - making 80 calls a day.

6. Good learning experience for those straight out of college

Former Employee - User Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn if you're coming straight out of college. Chill environment with typical tech company perks--snacks, specialty coffees, and sandwich supplies.

Cons

Not too many chances to move up in your career, salary wasn't competitive compared to other tech companies that have support teams.

7. Senior Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible sales training & your training class becomes your family. Plus, it is a really fast-paced, energetic, & fun company culture.

Cons

Management lacks influence necessary to further the development of individuals on their teams.

Advice to Management

If starting compensation was more competitive, the rate of turnover in the sales org. would decrease. Employee salaries need to be sustainable for living.

8. Senior Account Executive: Training (+), Comp & Trajectory (-)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales training program, and your training class becomes your Yelp family. Plus, it is a very fast-paced, fun, and energetic culture.

Cons

Management lacks influence to further the development of the reps on their teams, and the compensation (especially in the beginning) is not sustainable.

Advice to Management

If you increase the starting compensation, the turnover rate in the sales org would decrease. Employees should not have to dip into their savings to pay rent, salaries need to be sustainable for living.

9. Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Fun environment. Free food and snacks. Great office view.

Cons

Lots of cold calling. Sometimes I felt like I was extorting businesses.

Advice to Management

Don't blame everything on the Account Execs

10. Like a relationship you don't want to leave but know you should

Pros

Definite love hate relationship with Yelp. Great to wear jeans to work. Good beer selection. Lots of cereal options. You'll get a job right out of school. You will make friends.

Cons

The people you work with will make it bearable. But that fades and eventually you realize that the core of your friendship is a disdain for your job. Consistencies in what people like = free food, people, free health care. These are not real elements of a job. These things will not make you excited to go to work each day. I worked at Yelp for 10 months and ended the experience not really liking myself because my job satisfaction was so low. Promotions are available for AEs but they're revenue based and all you get is a new title - they're made up.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring 90 people a month - there's no satisfaction in that for anyone. Have standards -Internally and externally. Stop promoting complete rejects to management.

11. Account Executive

Former Employee - Yelp Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Yelp Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is very open air, friendly, smiling faces everywhere. People are always ready to help you if they are not busy themselves, understandably. There are kegs, basketball hoops, swings, hockey tables, full barista bar equipped with hipsters and facial hair to make you all the free coffee and lattes you'd want, scooters to get you around the vast office space, each meeting room decorated differently with quirky names, and much more fun things in the office space to distract you from work when you need a break. Hard work is praised in the monthly and weekly meetings. Full health benefits and 401k with matching.

Cons

If management has an issue with you, they will save all reasons that are not positive towards you and when you reach a tipping point, they will use what they deem necessary to get what they want from you. This is a high stress and high turn around environment. It is a cold-calling/telemarketing job. You will be expected to make x amount of calls or x amount of total talk time on the phone every day, setting meetings over the phone to sell products but that is the job.

Advice to Management

Before making any irrational decisions, please take the time to address all parties and figure out what is going on before making anything final. Do not play favorites if you're managing a team.

RSS Feed </> Embed