Yelp

Updated January 22, 2015
3.5

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Not realistic for the long term, do not recommend to my friends

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Health insurance fully covered, recently started offering 401k matching, stock benefits (they are granting less shares now with newer hires), free snacks, big name on your resume (although some sales companies in SF specifically will not hire from Yelp), working in a youthful office environment with casual dress. The CEO and top tier team will hold meetings at the SF headquarters and answer questions and talk about upcoming updates/changes with Yelp. Fun team offsite events and happy hours.

Cons

Base salaries are shockingly low for San Francisco - with the rent prices in the area it really is an unrealistic starting point. However, with different promotions and incremental base salary increases it gets better over time. Commission is great but with territory swaps etc, sales can be very up and down and unpredictable. I still feel like I work harder and am more stressed out than the majority of my friends with a similar education and background - but make about 20k less. For me it's not worth it. There is extremely high turn over and you will see some great people go. It is super easy to get burnt out. It doesn't seem to matter what you do for the company one month you can overproduce by 400% but the next month if you don't hit quota it's as if they forget everything right you have ever done. The product is pricey and sales tactics that are encouraged are pretty intense. They claim to be transparent but when it comes down to hard facts they give you vague answers with a healthy dose of kool aid. It is very hard to sell impression based ad programs in a cost per click ad world, which I did for over a year and did not believe in the product. However, we did recently release a cost per click ad program that is a huge stride forward, but still has some big flaws. You will get yelled at, and you will get hung up on. If you want to survive here you need to be ready to make 60 - 80 cold calls a day, talk to people who absolutely hate Yelp and therefore take it out on you, and have a completely resilient personality. The reality is that people wait to hit their year mark so they can put it on their resume and then they run like a bat out of hell. I was there for a year and a half. Out of my starting class of 45 people, I think only 6 or so of us were left. With a 13% retention rate, I think you get the idea.

**TIP - do not come to this company assuming you can start out in sales and then maybe transfer into a different department (recruiting, marketing, HR).. it is very unlikely this will actually be a possibility for you as they really only give you the opportunity to move into sales management.

Work on employee retention. You lose amazing talent every single day and it's a serious issue. Pay your employees a living wage straight off the bat.

Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture was interesting. It was great to have some snacks, drinks, a great coffee bar & happy hour w free beer after work. Coworkers were great! You easily make friends if you're in your 20s (like 90% of the sales floor) & a good number of people moved to San Francisco for the job, so everyone is down to explore!

Although I did not have a good experience with the work, it is a great place to start if you are REALLY interested in INSIDE SALES. You move up quickly if this is the particular career path you're looking for.

Cons

This position is extremely limited for horizontal growth within the company. Your Managers & the leaders of the company do not try to develop you as a whole-person, but rather they are only looking to help you grow within your sales role. Also, they start you at a small wage compared to many companies in the same zip code and lead by motivation with your future commission.

This role is extremely demanding. Their expectations are high (in a bad way) & want you to become numb to your work. The company values seem to purely be about growth, money & revenue. This was a sad realization because I really did love the product before I started working here. I will continue to support it, but with an awareness of how the company works. Sales employees are as replaceable as the paper printout of your name.

I believe you should motivate more with having employees believe in the product, not just the money side of the job.

Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The office is very fun.

Cons

Cold calling is a drag.

Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Yelp as an intern

Pros

friendly, sociable, nice, challenging, amazing

Cons

I had to put a lot of time into my work

Great environment! Positivity makes the job!

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing onboarding training! Almost like youre back in college. They really make it so you can not fail. This is definitely worth the risk of hating a desk job. The positive energy helps you everyday. trust the process!

Cons

It is a cold calling job. So you will get down almost everyday, but you gotta pick yourself back up, dont let the negative energy hit you through the phone. keep going, and trust the process

Worst experience ever at a tech company. SHADY business plan.

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Morally Bankrupting type of environment.

Cons

Never in my years have I seen such blatant disregard for the truth. The "algorithm" is flawed and hurting small business nation wide. Told to hush up about "the little people" and that the "algorithm" was not to be changed.
    You will be asked to fight "flagged reviews", in order to leave them on people's accounts, regardless of truth. I have never seen a business refuse to remove information that is being asked to be removed, either via email or lawsuit.

What yelp stands for is what's wrong in the world. I'm sorry but a review from years ago should not be relevant, and the fact they can't upgrade the "algorithm" is BS. I programmed a solution to remove bad reviews after 1 year, and was promptly fired. (Don't go above and beyond at this job, clearly.)

Fun fact, YELP in fact DOES charge to remove bad reviews, via Cold Calling from their sales staff.
    Shady Shady Shady.

I feel dirty working for such an irresponsible company who blatantly disregards requests from struggling business owners.

Find a job that has integrity, morals and betters the world. Not something as pathetic as a "review site" that shows somebody's 'opinion' from 4 years ago that isn't currently relevant. Sweet baby J, you had potential, and decided to be the greedy 'by any means necessary' company it has grown into today.

Update: Commission is Capped Btw

Current Employee - Account Executive Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The friday happy hours. Everything else off-site also being centered around alcohol. The best way to improve attrition is creating dependency on alcohol. And then reminding them that there's nothing what better while they are too wasted and exhausted from vomiting to disagree. They do is because they really care about their reps. That's a pro for sure.

Cons

Lets see.
    Probably the desperation I saw today as the directors sold us the biggest bill of goods of a time rather than just admit that this company is losing. We used to be cool and hip and exciting but now even the best reps in the company can only manage mediocre numbers. The cancellation rate is crazy and when the public and investors learn what a sinking ship its become its going to be embarrassing.
    They are trying to pull out a the stops to keep us there. But it doesn't matter if nobody wants advertising that is a money suck.
    I am not venting. Anyone considering this opportunity should understand what they are walking into. It's not a stable situation anymore.

Stop lying to us. Stop putting on a brave face and telling us its still okay because Yelp works. Stop trying to give us false hope to buy you more time to figure out where we go from here.

Great place to learn the basics of online advertising, terrible place to work.

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about the basics of online advertising, but not much else. Good health benefits. Freee (unhealthy) food. Good location. Fun atmosphere. Great stepping stone as they're known as slave drivers - if you last for a year you'll get respect in the industry.

Cons

You're a glorified telemarketer (and paid like one) with a fancy degree. The only college experience I used was how I learned to schmooze in my sorority. If you stay more than a year in the account exec position, you're not doing your career any favors unless you want to be a telemarketer or local salesperson.

It's demeaning and drone-like work. The most miserable job I've had. A bunch of kids with too much responsibility pretending they can run a company. The CEO hooks up with employees. It was like a coed fraternity that took themselves far too seriously. They try to brainwash you into thinking working there was the best thing that every happened to you.

Yelp Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive environment. Relaxed work style. Relatively small engineering body so impact is high. There is no corporate ladder, there are only engineers, managers, CTO, CEO. Overall it's a great place to work.

Cons

They don't serve breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The stock is not doing that well. There doesn't seem to be a lot of growth or excitement.

Challenging, fun environment with smart colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are smart, respectable individuals with a variety of backgrounds. Few people came from the same previous company-- or even the same industry, college, or major. This brings a lot of perspectives to the worktable and makes your water cooler conversations all the more interesting. The flat hierarchy of our work culture means everyone's ideas are heard and valued, and the team spirit of the organization is unrivaled. I also really respect the mission-driven aspects of the business-- our mission drives every business decision, and that's clear from the choices our facilities makes about being located in the middle of downtown SF (near tons of local businesses) to the engineering org's feature rollouts. The lean business model (in terms of perks and comp) can be a pro and a con, but I appreciate seeing that no dollar is wasted here (at least in the perks part).

Cons

Compensation for some roles isn't top of market, but is still fair and they hired a comp analyst to make adjustments moving forward (benefits of a growing company). Time off policy is lean but fair, though I wish for applicable teams there was more flexibility to work from home for those days when you're sick enough not to want to spread it around but not so sick you can't work at all. It's also unfortunate that the company hires a lot of immature people (particularly in sales, where they just need an army on the phone) who make mistakes that impact the whole company's perks and regulations (like beer privileges being limited after several people got drunk at work...Get it together, people!).

Improve mentorship programs across the company (seems great for engineering interns, but we should expand it... this could help solve the immature hires problem), better-support long-term employees (an extra 3-days of PTO after 2 years isn't an awesome incentive, but 5 days would be).