Yelp

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman

Jeremy Stoppelman

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Enjoy the party

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that work here are the best part of this company. I really enjoy coming to work everyday because of the people around me. The atmosphere here is very light and fun.

ConsHigh call volume, don't get any say in your territory, pay is a little low compared to similar companies.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great culture and great product

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing company, great culture, beautiful downtown San Francisco location

ConsOutdated looking product, small teams with big responsibilities

There are better places to work in the bay area

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree snacks/beer/beverages, San Francisco location, fun people and offsite events

ConsLow pay, shady business practices, poor & inexperienced leadership, cutthroat, fratty environment

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer your non-engineering employees the same perks you give to engineers. Clean up legacy managers that don't know how to manage their people or do their job well.

Close-knit, awesome culture, people who are very passionate about our product.

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsI love the culture and vibe here. It's no-frills, down-to-earth, people treat each other with respect and humanity. I was always a lover of Yelp and was pleasantly surprised when I started working here. The company doesn't market our product and it thrives through its users, everything is looking good!

ConsThere isn't tons of free food like at Google, we get catered food for engineering on Fridays and some other random days and there are stocked kitchens, but hey, I don't want to have to go to Weight Watchers because of free food, either.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the management are too young to be managers, they need a little more life experience.

Great place to be an Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsVery fun company to work for. There's a great atmosphere amongst the employees. Engineering and Sales both. I really enjoy everyone I've met so far. Pay is also very competitive and Yelp also offered stock options. Something that has more than tripled in value over the past year.

ConsI'm hard pressed to really think of anything as an Engineer at Yelp, but if I had to say it'd be that the company still acts like a startup. Personally, I enjoy that aspect. We move quick and that can cause problems from time to time. Nothing too difficult to navigate though.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe division between Sales and Engineering can be awkward at times. The lunches are about the only thing that really highlights this, but it'd be good to have more "whole company" events where interaction between departments is encouraged.

There are great employees on both sides and it'd be fun to get to know everyone better.

Sales @ Yelp.

SAE (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowth, the company is growing as faster or faster than anyone in a region full opportunity. Fantastic colleagues and leadership on a personal and professional level. Huge upside to climb the food chain if you work hard and perform.

ConsKnow what you're getting into, entry level inside sales is cold calling. People either love or hate Yelp. Small business owners aren't always the most savvy advertising minds, they hate the review someone left them, in turn probably don't like you off the bat. You need to have patients, thick skin and be coachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to restructure the comp plan as the company grows.

Stay out of this place at all costs

Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

ProsGood brand recognition and casual environment. I have used Yelp to rate restaurants in the past before.

ConsPay is not good...the environment really depends on the manager that you get, and they work you to death. Little work-life balance. Some incompetent individuals who talk more than execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people in true leadership practices and manage them more effectively.

Overall a good place, my team was not the right fit

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp as an intern for less than a year

ProsLive in San Francisco
High pay
Weekly talks
Good culture

ConsI did not enjoy what I was working on
Weird dichotomy between well treated software engineers (e.g. we got field trips and free lunch on fridays) and poorly treated sales people

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Great Place To Start/Build Your Career!

Associate Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Phenomenal management who really care about your development
- Solid in-classroom and on the floor training
- Awesome compensation plan with no cap!
- Fun, exciting environment, where you really enjoy coming into work, and love going out to have drinks afterwards

ConsNot really one specifically, but very competitive...Yelp's growing hand over fist, so it takes a lot to be the best of the best!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on perfecting the machine!

Great product but they just don't seem to care about their employees.

Linux Systems Engineer - Production (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros1. Great product with an amazing future.
2. Some of the smartest people you will ever meet work at Yelp.
3. They do offer 30 days to opt our of their "Dispute Resolution Policy" upon starting. I encourage everyone to do so.

Cons1. The way HR and management interacts with employees brings the term "Digital Plantation" to mind.
2. The company seems to have the HR and management processes of a 10 person start up although they are now a large publicly traded company.
3. This company just doesn't care about employees and does nothing to create a culture of empowerment.

Advice to Senior Management1. Get to work on your HR and management processes.
2. Care about your employees.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees.