Yelp

Updated December 18, 2014
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

85 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good but hard

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I hear a lot of negative commentary on Yelp's sales org. There's no doubt it's a grind, but if you're willing to put in the effort and maintain a positive attitude, it is worth it. The people are great, the culture is young and fun, the benefits are good (ESPP!) and the beer is plentiful.

Cons

Compensation has changed a lot over the years, but it's still hard to ramp up. The first 6 months were pretty brutal but once you get in a rhythm, it picks up.

Not realistic for the long term, do not recommend to my friends

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Health insurance fully covered, recently started offering 401k matching, stock benefits (they are granting less shares now with newer hires), free snacks, big name on your resume (although some sales companies in SF specifically will not hire from Yelp), working in a youthful office environment with casual dress. The CEO and top tier team will hold meetings at the SF headquarters and answer questions and talk about upcoming updates/changes with Yelp. Fun team offsite events and happy hours.

Cons

Base salaries are shockingly low for San Francisco - with the rent prices in the area it really is an unrealistic starting point. However, with different promotions and incremental base salary increases it gets better over time. Commission is great but with territory swaps etc, sales can be very up and down and unpredictable. I still feel like I work harder and am more stressed out than the majority of my friends with a similar education and background - but make about 20k less. For me it's not worth it. There is extremely high turn over and you will see some great people go. It is super easy to get burnt out. It doesn't seem to matter what you do for the company one month you can overproduce by 400% but the next month if you don't hit quota it's as if they forget everything right you have ever done. The product is pricey and sales tactics that are encouraged are pretty intense. They claim to be transparent but when it comes down to hard facts they give you vague answers with a healthy dose of kool aid. It is very hard to sell impression based ad programs in a cost per click ad world, which I did for over a year and did not believe in the product. However, we did recently release a cost per click ad program that is a huge stride forward, but still has some big flaws. You will get yelled at, and you will get hung up on. If you want to survive here you need to be ready to make 60 - 80 cold calls a day, talk to people who absolutely hate Yelp and therefore take it out on you, and have a completely resilient personality. The reality is that people wait to hit their year mark so they can put it on their resume and then they run like a bat out of hell. I was there for a year and a half. Out of my starting class of 45 people, I think only 6 or so of us were left. With a 13% retention rate, I think you get the idea.

**TIP - do not come to this company assuming you can start out in sales and then maybe transfer into a different department (recruiting, marketing, HR).. it is very unlikely this will actually be a possibility for you as they really only give you the opportunity to move into sales management.

Work on employee retention. You lose amazing talent every single day and it's a serious issue. Pay your employees a living wage straight off the bat.

Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture was interesting. It was great to have some snacks, drinks, a great coffee bar & happy hour w free beer after work. Coworkers were great! You easily make friends if you're in your 20s (like 90% of the sales floor) & a good number of people moved to San Francisco for the job, so everyone is down to explore!

Although I did not have a good experience with the work, it is a great place to start if you are REALLY interested in INSIDE SALES. You move up quickly if this is the particular career path you're looking for.

Cons

This position is extremely limited for horizontal growth within the company. Your Managers & the leaders of the company do not try to develop you as a whole-person, but rather they are only looking to help you grow within your sales role. Also, they start you at a small wage compared to many companies in the same zip code and lead by motivation with your future commission.

This role is extremely demanding. Their expectations are high (in a bad way) & want you to become numb to your work. The company values seem to purely be about growth, money & revenue. This was a sad realization because I really did love the product before I started working here. I will continue to support it, but with an awareness of how the company works. Sales employees are as replaceable as the paper printout of your name.

I believe you should motivate more with having employees believe in the product, not just the money side of the job.

Glorified aggressive telemarketing and harassment of small business owners

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great, cafe and loaded kitchen on site, great parties and perks.

Cons

The territory distribution system, racists, and frat boy mentality among managers. On a floor of 70+ sales people only two were African American until one was fired during training although he was selling well. Favoritism and being very flirty will get you a good territory. Unfortunately, the territories you get have all been worked to death and the business owners will be so annoyed they will literally threaten you. You will be harassing the same people over and over despite them not being able to buy due to economic reason- for example, a few businesses I was calling went out of business and I was still forced to call them up until they closed their doors and in the meantime I lost on other good leads- well actually, their inventory is no organized and they bought many fake listings that show up on your pipeline. You will literally call everyone who has ever has a yelp page and harass them until they buy. My territories were very strange- one was a total loss, a very very poor area (well known through out, actually a skid row) and the other was a bit better, and I made large sales there. It really doesn't take much talent as they would have you think to make sales- IF you get a healthy territory with inventory then you'll make sales easily. The problem is inventory is NOT always available and combined with a horrible territory and 60+ closed/fake businesses in your pipeline you are doomed. You will burn out quickly unless you are making target every month. Sounds like a great job and it can be, but it is in no way creative and you literally do the same thing every day. Every day. One of the WORST jobs I've had to endure. The HR lady Taylor really sold me on the job. I am very grateful to have gone through their training which WAS fantastic but has since changed to cycle through sales reps more quickly.

Hire more people of color, sponsor less foreign talent and hire more Americans, change their inventory- their territories have a lot of fake listings which bite into your business as a sales rep.

Great place to learn the basics of online advertising, terrible place to work.

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about the basics of online advertising, but not much else. Good health benefits. Freee (unhealthy) food. Good location. Fun atmosphere. Great stepping stone as they're known as slave drivers - if you last for a year you'll get respect in the industry.

Cons

You're a glorified telemarketer (and paid like one) with a fancy degree. The only college experience I used was how I learned to schmooze in my sorority. If you stay more than a year in the account exec position, you're not doing your career any favors unless you want to be a telemarketer or local salesperson.

It's demeaning and drone-like work. The most miserable job I've had. A bunch of kids with too much responsibility pretending they can run a company. The CEO hooks up with employees. It was like a coed fraternity that took themselves far too seriously. They try to brainwash you into thinking working there was the best thing that every happened to you.

Yelp Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive environment. Relaxed work style. Relatively small engineering body so impact is high. There is no corporate ladder, there are only engineers, managers, CTO, CEO. Overall it's a great place to work.

Cons

They don't serve breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The stock is not doing that well. There doesn't seem to be a lot of growth or excitement.

You really have to love sales to love this job.

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, free food and kegs in building.

Cons

Cold-calling at your desk all day, constantly getting yelled at.

Second class sales reps to engineer

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Obviously a huge company, some perks like offsites, company parties, young people, party environment. Free food and drinks.

Cons

It's basically a frat party at ASU at Yelp. Some of the people in the sales department are very bright - others are some of the dimmest I've come across. Also - they treat engineers like kings, sales doesn't even come close to that.

The most humble person in the entire org is the CEO Jeremny, the management should take a look in the mirror at what goes on right beneath their noses and start to act like professionals.

Challenging, fun environment with smart colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are smart, respectable individuals with a variety of backgrounds. Few people came from the same previous company-- or even the same industry, college, or major. This brings a lot of perspectives to the worktable and makes your water cooler conversations all the more interesting. The flat hierarchy of our work culture means everyone's ideas are heard and valued, and the team spirit of the organization is unrivaled. I also really respect the mission-driven aspects of the business-- our mission drives every business decision, and that's clear from the choices our facilities makes about being located in the middle of downtown SF (near tons of local businesses) to the engineering org's feature rollouts. The lean business model (in terms of perks and comp) can be a pro and a con, but I appreciate seeing that no dollar is wasted here (at least in the perks part).

Cons

Compensation for some roles isn't top of market, but is still fair and they hired a comp analyst to make adjustments moving forward (benefits of a growing company). Time off policy is lean but fair, though I wish for applicable teams there was more flexibility to work from home for those days when you're sick enough not to want to spread it around but not so sick you can't work at all. It's also unfortunate that the company hires a lot of immature people (particularly in sales, where they just need an army on the phone) who make mistakes that impact the whole company's perks and regulations (like beer privileges being limited after several people got drunk at work...Get it together, people!).

Improve mentorship programs across the company (seems great for engineering interns, but we should expand it... this could help solve the immature hires problem), better-support long-term employees (an extra 3-days of PTO after 2 years isn't an awesome incentive, but 5 days would be).

Good experience, but definitely not for me, but would still recommend to a friend

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice and friendly work environment, lovely interior design, and you are allowed to work on nearly anything you want.

Cons

I'm somewhat anti-social and dislike big crowds, which didn't fit well with Yelp's extremely outgoing people. Also Yelp is not a huge cash cow, so there isn't nearly much money to go around compared to Dropbox or Google, although that's not the company's fault. I was paid pretty well for an intern, but I hear that the company's benefits package is weak. It seems much easier to get promoted here than in places like Google, though.

Also SF is expensive.