Yelp Reviews

Jeremy Stoppelman

1. great place to work

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yelp management keeps a great balance of getting things done and projects that engineers *want* to do.

Cons

Yelp is making a transition from a small company to a bonafide big corporation, and there are some growing pains in the process.

Keep up the great work, but be on the watch for the signs of corporate atrophy: fiefdoms, ivory towers, departmental barricades.

2. I Learned More Here Than In Any Other Career

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales to local businesses is very challenging, however it's really rewarding. Yelp's advertising product is great and knowing that you can help a small business owner compete in their market and connect with their local community is totally worth it. I also loved the hands on approach to training and development. I've worked at other jobs where they give you packets and videos and expect you to learn from those materials. At Yelp they trained and helped me through 10's of different avenues.

Cons

I wish there was a less expensive package to sell businesses. Sometimes $$ can be tight and you want to help them somehow. Guess that's what the free products are for.

I loved it at Yelp. Especially being on pilot teams and testing new approaches to sales. Keep that up. (I had to leave for personal reasons that took me to Dallas for a few years. Hoping to get back in at some point).

3. Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young, professional and fun environment in San Francisco

Cons

Sales is sales. Constant challenge.

Management is constantly improving. No advice needed.

5. A company filled with great mentors and opportunity for growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of course things like free food, coffee and beer are great but my favorite part about working at Yelp was the people. Most of the departments I worked with (which included almost all) were always willing to lend a hand and make compromises for you to reach your own goals. Management tries to find opportunities for you to grow as en employee and as a person. Yelp has given me tools and skills that I have been able to bring to my next employer.

Cons

Having to deal with the small business owners that don't truly understand how Yelp works. Constantly being accused of extortion can be offensive and draining.

Stick with your original Yelp values and continue to hire people that may not have a tremendous amount of experience but are willing to learn and be dedicated to seeing Yelp succeed.

Fun while it lasted (engineering position)

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Yelp for several years, and will always miss the people. Yelp felt very family-like: friendly and open-minded folks, good communication throughout. These are folks you would want to hang out with on the weekends like BFFs. In fact, I might be spoiled by them; I now expect the same kind of warmth and friendliness from future employers and colleagues.

Good supply of snacks and drinks. The current office (140 New Montgomery) is beautifully done, though might be a little too spread-out for some areas.

Average compensation, though the benefits (401k, health insurance) are pretty average.

From the engineering side, the codebase is so old and badly written in many places, that, depending on what team you're on and the kind of challenges you fancy, this can be a godsend (you love fixing things), or a curse (you love new stuff).

I might have a long list of cons below, but I still would recommend Yelp.

Cons

I feel like Yelp may be over-reaching on their core values. They have a vision, for sure, but it's a very broad vision, and not very focused. The higher-ups tend to wear rose-colored glasses when discussing company statistics. I wish they were a little more humble and frank.

Also, at times the company seems risk-averse. Expanding to other countries: no problem. Delivering a better user experience: jump through bureaucratic hurdles. Certain projects can takes years of planning and back-and-forth because they really don't want to lose users or revenue, however small that may be, and/or managers keep leaving. Innovation takes a back-seat.

Previously, I mentioned the codebase. It's... so ugly that implementing innovative features is an absolute chore. Deploying code is done serially through a person rather than an automated parallel system, which became a HUGE bottleneck when the engineering department grew astronomically in the past couple of years.

Lastly, growth. The company is growing fast, and not really in a good way. I can only speak for the engineering department, and it grew a LOT during my time there. Unfortunately, the industry-experts:new-grads ratio is very low. As a result, you'll get one-year Yelp employees mentoring new hires, and sometimes, a one-year employee ends up as manager. Not that that employee doesn't deserve it, but there are still two- and three-year folks around, and they get passed over.

7. Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Great work culture. The people are great and if you do well there is some room for growth. When I say some I mean very little.

Cons

Company has no direction. Its pretty much a sweat shop for young undervalued employees.

learn how to coach things other than value

Company Culture

Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Obviously inside sales is not ideal, but it is a necessary evil in the world we live in. Yelp does a great job at making every thing else fun and enjoyable. Everyone is young and ambitious which makes it a fun atmosphere.

Cons

The company has been compared to modern day sweatshops. But I think it's all about your perspective. Some people look at cold calling like a terrible thing, but when you use it as an opportunity to talk to different business owners every day it becomes more fun.

Make sure each team has a good work/life balance.

9. One of the best experiences for an entry level sales job, but terrible pay considering.

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best things about working at Yelp is the environment and support you get. Everyone wants you to succeed and pushes you to succeed. Really friendly managers, directors, and higher ups. You'll often end up in the same elevator as Jeremy and he'll joke around as if he doesn't own a huge company. Although a glorified call center, it has AMAZING benefits. The music is always blaring in the background from PG Hip Hop to dance music. They give you a $60 gym stipend, full benefits, decent stock plans (if stock does well, not like lately) and fully stocked kitchen daily with food and drinks galore. Amazing growth opportunities due to its expansion, and good commission plans, if you're good. The monthly quotas are attainable, but take note that you get as much as you put in, and you're ultimately rewarded well. Also, beer on 8, EVERY DAY. Occasionally we'll get IPA's because facilities is AMAZING, but we generally don't because we had some cases where rookies couldn't handle their liquor...

Cons

Amazing benefits and environment can be a total seller for some. While others is dependent on pay. If you're looking for a company that pays well as a base, don't expect Yelp to satisfy that hunger. Starting salary for all sales executives is 34K base, hardly enough to get by and definitely underpaid in the Bay Area as any other company starts you off at 50+ including commission.

On that note, if you do well, the commission structure is very decent. However, this probably only applies to the top 5% of the Yelp's top sales reps as the other 95% are generally average and don't make much after you consider living in such an expensive city and don't push yourself. They used to require employees to bring in double what they currently except before earning commission, but lowered it as their retention over the last 5 months hasn't been great - in fact, probably the worst in company history.

They always tell you that it's not about territory, but it is. And they match the top sellers with top territories, Elites get first dibs, and if you don't do very well or if you're just average, you get average territories - which doesn't entirely make sense. They recently made a huge change and mixed up territories along with other changes. Needless to say, after failing 2-3 months, they changed it back because it wasn't well thought out and caused a lot of employees who have been there long term and short term to leave.

New changes in 2015 has raised a lot of eyebrows. The compensation prior used to be more fair, as they counted your gross revenue rather than your net. You obviously have no control after you make the sale and how business owners manage their accounts, if they even do. And the Account Management teams are less than good. You'll have better luck managing your own accounts as each business gets a couple of AM's assigned to them during their advertising term because they keep leaving, with no word and your scared business clients just sit there, calling you ten times a week and flooding your emails because they have no idea what's going on.

Retention is low. Given my time here, I would say Yelp retains about 20% of individuals after a year, maybe a little less. You have to consider the fact that the company is hiring 30-60 disposable individuals a month who are excited and drinking the coolaid, until they're not. At which point, the rookies have made more for the company than the company realistically pays you. If it's not you, it's another 60 new individuals every single month.

Lastly, engineers are great - but your sales team makes the company money and sells products that engineers come up with. Don't just feed your engineers and have sales get scraps. Sales or anyone else in the organization (sales being biggest) get to eat AFTER engineers have their lunch - we get their leftovers. Unless you accidentally order pizza on the wrong day and have 80 pizzas delivered.

Compensation is something that is contributing to your large turnover rate. I would highly suggest you consider compensating better rather than making it virtually impossible for anyone to hit their YSDP or making any real money unless you're one of the people consistently on the DSU.

10. sale rep

Current Employee - Account Executive Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment, working with a team, Great transition out of college

Cons

Assigned to certain territories which may lead to low sales.

Make it a far playing field for everyone and do not assign territories.

11. account executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

it was fun after college

Cons

weird management style and aggressive

select smarter people